SuperZZT hates me

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

gideon
newcomer

SuperZZT hates me

Post by gideon »

Normally I am a useless lurker, but I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer. I am interested in making a SuperZZT game, and have been using a combination of SuperZZT in DOSBox and Lyon to progress.

1) Copying objects between boards seems to be such an incredible crapshoot that it's nearly pointless to try, and if I copy an object and it gets corrupted, then many other objects on the board will also be emptied out. Am I doing something wrong or is this just something I shouldn't do period?

2) #play t3<anything> causes SZZT to play a note in the sequence and hold it indefinitely in DOSBox, but Lyon correctly plays the sound. Should I not do that or is this behavior abnormal?

Sorry to bother with my ridiculous questions.
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Re: SuperZZT hates me

Post by bitbot »

gideon wrote:Normally I am a useless lurker, but I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer. I am interested in making a SuperZZT game, and have been using a combination of SuperZZT in DOSBox and Lyon to progress.
add kevedit and zap to your toolbox
gideon wrote: 1) Copying objects between boards seems to be such an incredible crapshoot that it's nearly pointless to try, and if I copy an object and it gets corrupted, then many other objects on the board will also be emptied out. Am I doing something wrong or is this just something I shouldn't do period?
zap is useful here. right click object to copy or ctrl-mouse click to select an area to copy.
gideon wrote: 2) #play t3<anything> causes SZZT to play a note in the sequence and hold it indefinitely in DOSBox, but Lyon correctly plays the sound. Should I not do that or is this behavior abnormal?
t3 not supported natively.
gideon wrote: Sorry to bother with my ridiculous questions.
Not at all. SZZT is tough. I recommend kevedit to doodle and zap for importing. Make daily backups.
Good luck with your game!
Image Image
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

t3 doesn't work for reasons I'm not sure of in ZZT. It doesn't have the same granularity as Lyon does (the sync works differently between the two engines in regards to sound/gameplay)

Super ZZT's built in editor is awful and there isn't an alternative that I can recommend. People didn't like it nearly as much.
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Saxx is being modest. Zap is like the szzt swiss army knife, but i think mastering the built-in editor is essential here.
Image Image