Violence in video games

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

What is your opinion on increased violence in video games?

Violence is fine.
No votes
Violence is fine.
23%
Violence is okay, but over used.
No votes
Violence is okay, but over used.
41%
I like to kill things.
No votes
I like to kill things.
14%
MY M0MMIE WONT LETZ ME PL4Y VIOOLENT GAMEZ
9%
MY M0MMIE WONT LETZ ME PL4Y VIOOLENT GAMEZ
No votes
I like happy things..
9%
I like happy things..
No votes
I like happy things.. I like to shoot them..
5%
I like happy things.. I like to shoot them..
No votes

Total votes: 22

Way to much posts!

Post by 7 »

i just don't give a dam.
What can be said now?

Re: B'ah.

Post by 570 »

EvilMario wrote:It's only a poll of opinions, and to see people's views on things. Don't take it out of context and judge my point of view entirely on what is here. I didn't state that violence is no needed in video games, but I feel it's a cop out for many developers these days.. just selling a game based on violence, and not attempting to develop anything new.
---
EM
Yeah, people should try new things!

I like it when I jump on one of the bad guy's heads and the DIE!

I WISH REAL LIFE WAS LIKE THAT!!!
What can be said now?

Post by 97 »

My view on the violence in videogames issue is this:

While investigations into people that do fucked up shit certainly have shown that those people did play violent video games, and claim to have proven a link between videogames and violence, I slightly disagree. The way I see it is, if the fucked up tendency is allready there, maybe a violent videogame will "teach" you how to wield an assault rifle more efectively against classmates/coworkers/random passerby/etc; but I don't think the video games will cause those tendencies to appear. In other words, if you're fucked up already, video games will make it worse, if not, video games won't do anything.

People need to stop taking the easy way out and blaming video games for every act of violence that happens in our society. They have to realize that there is a far deeper cause of these violent acts, and even the violence in games: A society that has got its priorities and values mixed up. Modern western society places strong emphasis on the appearance of being "dangerous"; hence things like rappers that try to sell their music on their "thug" looks. Society is making it desirable to be armed and dangerous. This is very literally a throwback to primitive humanity, where the strongest hunter in the tribe would be the one that got females. Violence in society may be aggravated by video games, but ultimately, society has to re-examine its values if it wants so ensure the safety of people. Because regulating the sales of videogames will not save anyone.

Wow, I didn't think I had that much to say... No one will bother reading all that!
What can be said now?

Post by 570 »

demascota wrote:My view on the violence in videogames issue is this:

While investigations into people that do fucked up shit certainly have shown that those people did play violent video games, and claim to have proven a link between videogames and violence, I slightly disagree. The way I see it is, if the fucked up tendency is allready there, maybe a violent videogame will "teach" you how to wield an assault rifle more efectively against classmates/coworkers/random passerby/etc; but I don't think the video games will cause those tendencies to appear. In other words, if you're fucked up already, video games will make it worse, if not, video games won't do anything.

People need to stop taking the easy way out and blaming video games for every act of violence that happens in our society. They have to realize that there is a far deeper cause of these violent acts, and even the violence in games: A society that has got its priorities and values mixed up. Modern western society places strong emphasis on the appearance of being "dangerous"; hence things like rappers that try to sell their music on their "thug" looks. Society is making it desirable to be armed and dangerous. This is very literally a throwback to primitive humanity, where the strongest hunter in the tribe would be the one that got females. Violence in society may be aggravated by video games, but ultimately, society has to re-examine its values if it wants so ensure the safety of people. Because regulating the sales of videogames will not save anyone.

Wow, I didn't think I had that much to say... No one will bother reading all that!
I did! =D

You know why?!

Because I have no life.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I can't answer the poll because I think violence is fine but I also like happy things. There's just so many things that I can't touch I'M TORN.

Personally, I think adding an 'If you wanna be cool, stay in school.' to all games would solve the world's problems.

:baron:
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I've seen "Winners don't use drugs" in a few games.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I'd like to point out that Demascota is the head of the Canadian military. He is certainly trained in the use of firearms. I might also add he wore maxipad, showed people his pubic hair, and almost got kicked in the nuts for singing the happy tree friends theme.

My point is one day he'll kill us all.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

He's a true Canadian hero.
"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." Harry J. Anslinger, 1929
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

G. I. Jacques
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

Zandor 12 wrote:Playing video games doesn't make a person violent, and I swear I'll fucking kill the next dumbass who says otherwise.
ZANDOR, YOU'RE MY HERO AND I <3 U 4EVR.
What can be said now?

Post by 576 »

Ha. I played Mortal Kombat for years, that doesn't mean i'm gonna fight a guy, rip his head off and throw him into a pit. I played Manhunt, but i didn't take off a guys head with a baseball bat or wiresaw.

Also, about the lack of gore and all.

Final Fantasy VII
When Sephy shoves the massamune into Aeris, where was the blood? Was she a demon? When Cloud kicks Sephys ass with Omnislash, by rights, Sephy should have been tore to bits, not covered in a few cuts.
Also, how come Sephy was covered in blood but not Aeris? It dosn't make sense.
What can be said now?

Post by 453 »

as long as the violence doesn't become a substitute for gameplay, i don't care.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I think video games are safe because most people who play shooting games don't have guns and most people who play fighting games are pussies who would get beaten up if they were in a fight. Girl, you know it's true.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Post by 570 »

Agent Z wrote:Ha. I played Mortal Kombat for years, that doesn't mean i'm gonna fight a guy, rip his head off and throw him into a pit. I played Manhunt, but i didn't take off a guys head with a baseball bat or wiresaw.

Also, about the lack of gore and all.

Final Fantasy VII
When Sephy shoves the massamune into Aeris, where was the blood? Was she a demon? When Cloud kicks Sephys ass with Omnislash, by rights, Sephy should have been tore to bits, not covered in a few cuts.
Also, how come Sephy was covered in blood but not Aeris? It dosn't make sense.
Aeris was SPESHUL. =((((((

Sephy was a EVIIIIIL. But still cool.

but the best bad guy out of all games has to be Kafka!
snorby schnorrbusch
newcomer

Post by snorby schnorrbusch »

The guy who wrote the Metamorphosis was the best villain ever?