Violence in video games

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

What is your opinion on increased violence in video games?

Violence is fine.
No votes
Violence is fine.
23%
Violence is okay, but over used.
No votes
Violence is okay, but over used.
41%
I like to kill things.
No votes
I like to kill things.
14%
MY M0MMIE WONT LETZ ME PL4Y VIOOLENT GAMEZ
9%
MY M0MMIE WONT LETZ ME PL4Y VIOOLENT GAMEZ
No votes
I like happy things..
9%
I like happy things..
No votes
I like happy things.. I like to shoot them..
5%
I like happy things.. I like to shoot them..
No votes

Total votes: 22

EvilMario
newcomer

Violence in video games

Post by EvilMario »

Take the poll, you fuckers.
Also, respond with written out responses so I can flame you one way, or another. Please come again.

Oh, for a little more info..

Recently there has been an increased number of legal actions taken against violent video games. One of the most noteables was last year Washington became the first state to regulate sales of M rated games to minors.

People who claim that violence in video games is strictly from the Americanization of games are fools. While it has obviouls had an influence upon the direction of which the industry is evolving I don't think it can be totally responible for it. As Japanese developers and others have too come to relay very heavily on violence in their games as the market has matured, and gaming has become more accepted world wide as a reasonable form of entertainment.

Some feel it's being over exploited now, and developers are simply throwing in a few gallons of blood and two months worth of development in games running on ten year old engines. Thus, the quality of games has diminished. Obviously, in my opinion the don't think this is limited to violent video games as a certain developer not known for its mature games has also been rather stale lately.

I promise. I'll rant more later.
---
EM

Last edited by EvilMario on Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
crank
rules.

Re: Violence in video games

Post by crank »

EvilMario wrote:People who claim that violence in video games is strictly from the Americanization of games are fools. While it has obviouls had an influence upon the direction of which the industry is evolving I don't think it can be totally responible for it. As Japanese developers and others have too come to relay very heavily on violence in their games as the market has matured, and gaming has become more accepted world wide as a reasonable form of entertainment.
Anyone played "Sweet Home" for Famicom?

It was an old Capcom game released in Japan. The game had pictures of charred babies :(

also jesus christ @ your sig, em :(
EvilMario
newcomer

Yes YES

Post by EvilMario »

Yes.. now the sig has changed, and it's still huge. Oh, and my poll is fucked up now and crank doesn't love me anymore. I'll probably rant about this later. The poll that is.
---
EM
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Playing video games doesn't make a person violent, and I swear I'll fucking kill the next dumbass who says otherwise.
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
EvilMario
newcomer

I blame..

Post by EvilMario »

Nintendo should burn.

Every day another kids tries shrooms because of Mario and turns gay because of Link's short shorts.

You'll pay for this, Miyamoto. You'll pay.
---
EM
What can be said now?

Re: I blame..

Post by 570 »

EvilMario wrote:Nintendo should burn.

Every day another kids tries shrooms because of Mario and turns gay because of Link's short shorts.

You'll pay for this, Miyamoto. You'll pay.
---
EM
Thats a new way to look at things. And if violence fits the game Im fine with it.

And what would you care for other people? I thought you were evil?
EvilMario
newcomer

B'ah.

Post by EvilMario »

It's only a poll of opinions, and to see people's views on things. Don't take it out of context and judge my point of view entirely on what is here. I didn't state that violence is no needed in video games, but I feel it's a cop out for many developers these days.. just selling a game based on violence, and not attempting to develop anything new.
---
EM
snorby schnorrbusch
newcomer

Post by snorby schnorrbusch »

You know, evilmario, that sounds just like Manhunt. Among OTHER messy ways to go in that game, you can:

- Saw off someone's head with a piano wire.
- Crush someone's head with a baseball bat.
- Rip someone apart with a chainsaw.
- Literally tear someone a new asshole with a crowbar. This was the point that turned me off of this game.

Look, I'm all for violence in games, but even I have my limits. Watching Cash use the crowbar to tear people a new one more than crosses the line, if you ask me.
What can be said now?

Post by 464 »

The kind of gore games I can stand:

Soldier of Fortune 1&2 - realistic dismemberment.. realistic blood splatters.

Postal 2 - Humorous gore... just ment to be funny..

Mortal Kombat - Classic gore of endless blood, bones, and organs.

Kind of gore I can't stand:

"T" rated games usually have almost no gore...

Medal of Honor - good game.. but I shoot someone in the head and all they do is fall down..?? I shove a granade down their throat and all they do is a flip!!?? WTF man..

Same goes with Battlefield 1942

Final Fantasy - Ok.. I have hit you with a sword 20 times.. smashed your face with a hammer.. and I see a sprinkle of blood...

uhh.. I'm done.
wildkarrdex
A daring young man on a flying trapeze.

Post by wildkarrdex »

buhh buhh violence is kewl! i'm stickin it to the man with my violent games! look at me i am so kewl and violent buhh buhhh! one i even stamped on my brothers foot and he said d*mn.
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

Ive yet to meet anyone in real life who says "buhhh buhhh" every two words.
"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." Harry J. Anslinger, 1929
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

There is so much violence everywhere I'm surprised people only care about it in video games.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

Post by Zephyr »

Clecky wrote:Ive yet to meet anyone in real life who says "buhhh buhhh" every two words.
You need to get out more.
wildkarrdex

Post by wildkarrdex »

try harder.
wildkarrdex

Post by wildkarrdex »

also