Do you like it when.....

In your adventures through the Town of ZZT, you have been captured by the evil Dungeon Guards. Not recognizing you as the great escape artist you are, the guards have thrown you in the Dungeons of ZZT.

Moderator: zamros

What can be said now?

Do you like it when.....

Post by 532 »

Do you like it when a game is striaght forward and uncomplex as in where to go, or do you like a game where your set into a big place and you can go anywhere you want? I've got games lined out for both those types however I would like some kick but ideas for minigames. ^^ Im running out of ideas for the minigames. (Can you blame me? My first game has over 5 minigames so far and three of them you could play for a while before getting bored. AND they are not pointless mini-games either you get rewards for you time.) :missile: ya! Im casting magic missile at this thread! My life's goal has been acomplished!
What can be said now?

Post by 136 »

I like if is complex and you can go in all difrint places, but mostly you hav to puzle in difrint places and sumtimes tugether to figer it out and unlock a difrint place. Like MYST game and RIVIN game.
What can be said now?

Post by 518 »

Don't make my mistake. Either:

A. make a completely linear game, where it's all set out pretty well and there is only one main quest, and one ending.

B. make a nonlinear game, with some kind of linearity to it, such as in Lome or Karateka (two of my favorite games for that reason)

C. make a completely nonlinear game, but don't make it boring so that you have to go through 5 different empty boards to do what you need to do. Make an RPG or something.

Again, don't make my mistake and just put keys and doors in different places.

All those empty boards should have things within them to keep the player occupied. For instance, in Lome, lions would attack you, and you would get an RPG-like bonus for beating them.

Lastly, if you're going to have a game with a massive size, for God's sake, put in warps that go from one place to another. Almost every N64 game that had a huge playing field(s) used it. In the zzt games Lome and Karateka, it was also used.

Oh, and whatever you pick, keep the fun factor in mind as the most important aspect. If it's not fun, you might as well write a book instead.
What can be said now?

Post by 532 »

All true! Thanks people....Im still working on the graphics on my game....they suck. But hey, at least Im doing the work to fix them right? At least Im no idiot who would put a crappy zzt game out and not even bother to fix his mistakes. But hey, Im doing good with every other aspect of the game. Im spending day and night working on this game and Im not eating at all....God I have no life. ^^
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Guy wrote:Oh, and whatever you pick, keep the fun factor in mind as the most important aspect. If it's not fun, you might as well write a book instead.
Are you implying that books are not fun?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
What can be said now?

Post by 518 »

Commodore wrote:
Guy wrote:Oh, and whatever you pick, keep the fun factor in mind as the most important aspect. If it's not fun, you might as well write a book instead.
Are you implying that books are not fun?
No, only that if you're going to sacrifice all your gameplay for plot, there's no point in making a zzt game. Might as well use some other program more suited to graphics, or like I said, write a book.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

*cough*rhygar*cough*

Edit: 666th post

:*: :baron: :norabevar: :superbaron:

yay.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
What can be said now?

Post by 458 »

MINIGAME IDEAS!

I mentioned this one in another forum, but you could make a minigame like Skifree, that game that used to come with Windows 3.1 and 95.

Also, original random dungeon minigames are fun, if you don't make the player go through 85 levels of it (5 or 10 is enough for one stretch). I have one sitting on my shelf that I could send to you, if you want, that is based around how bombs leave colored empties in a random pattern when they detonate.

Finally, you can make timing games- kind of like the "Megaton Punch" minigame from Kirby superstar. you have a couple of moving thingies that you hit a button to freeze, and the closer you get to perfect, the higher you score. the same system is used for aiming in some golf games.

I hope I gave you a few Ideas!
What can be said now?

Post by 518 »

Hmm, bombs, that's interesting. The problem is you could only use it once, because the duplicating bombs would explode as well. Then deal with breakables outside the playing range.

However you could use a player clone to fix the first problem, but then you would have to contain the player, so he wouldn't warp in the wrong place.

Yeah, boulders is definetly your best bet. Using the rndp rndne and having two things blocking it, and empties or fakes in the other two directions gives the system a kind of binary, and you can utilize it for just about any need you have.

Here:

Code: Select all

#cycle 1
:do
#if blocked rndp rndne do1
#if blocked rndp rndne do2
#put purple boulder e
#check
:do1
#if blocked rndp rndne do3
#put green boulder e
#check
:do2
#if blocked rndp rndne do4
#put blue boulder e
#check
:do3
#put red boulder e
#check
:do4
#put yellow boulder e
:check
#zap check
#end
#zap check
#end
#zap check
#end
`etc etc for however many boulders each object fills. Also, replace direction with whatever direction the object is facing.
There are other ways to work it too, for just about any number you need in your randomness scale.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I think it's interesting when a game starts out one way, then turns another way. Like, you could start off with a linear gameplay path, then open it up to different choices of areas. Or you could start the game out open and free, and gradually work in a path for the player to follow in order to finish the game.
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

8=D
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I h8 games that start out with a long-ass description of the plot. I am somewhat guilty of this. NEVER AGAIN.

Also, I h8 touching too many objects.

That's all I can think of now.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Look.....

Post by 532 »

Oof Poof may hate my game then......just to warn ya!
P.S. Restarted on the entire game, it did not seem to fun for me. So im redoing the entire thing! (go me) :prezbw: Frog is cool.
What can be said now?

Post by 519 »

I prefer "nonlinear with a goal". You're set loose, but you have something to do. Note that this does NOT mean I like wandering through 30x30 board grids trying to find something... That is pure mental torture.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Nah.... that depends on the creators mad programming skillz
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*