N64 Control Stick Transplantation

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Stak
Watching you post

N64 Control Stick Transplantation

Post by Stak »

Nintendo usually makes quality stuff. Like, you could throw those old brick-style Game Boys off of 10-story roofs to the streets below and then watch them get ran over by trucks and they'd still play like they were new. However, everyone slips up every now and then, and makes a generally shoddy product, and Nintendo is no different.

I assume that possibly all or most of you are familiar with this:
If you are not, this is an N64 controller. Some love it, some hate it, but nearly all agree that it has a major problem: the damn sticks wear out too quickly. And if you're like me, you've probably got a few of them that don't work and have near-perfect sticks, while you have to push the stick on your working controller really hard to register some sort of movement. So what can you do about this?

:hmmm: It is quite a predicament, sir.

This was a problem for many people, until now. The other day, I managed to transplant a control stick from one controller to another with very little trouble, and now it works perfectly. Here's what you do.

This is the circuit board of an N64 controller. It is not important, I just wanted you to see what it looks like inside that plastic casing. The control stick would go right below the middle portion of the controller.

Here are the parts of the stick arranged on top of a Playstation for reasons I am unsure of because I didn't take the photograph. The large black thing on the left is the lower case, which everything goes into. The white thing directly below that is the carriage, which sends stick movement data to the electrical thingy right above it. Next to the electric part is the actual stick and one of the sensors, which is inserted into the carriage. There is a deep sensor and a shallow sensor, and it's important to know the difference! The white ring goes on top of the spring in the upper case, which is the greyish thing on the far right. Here are the two parts of the stick, fully assembled.

Now, remember the white thing I told you about earlier, the carriage? Turns out, it's that thing that makes the control stick wear down, and is the source of the white gunk that appears in the stick. I'm still unsure of a method for eliminating this, but I suppose you could try covering the slots for the sensors with tape or something!

Here are the actual steps to replacing your controller's stick.

1) Open up the non-working controller with a good stick. Note that there are seven screws, excluding the two near the slot for memory cards, Rumble Packs, etc. After removing all nine screws (don't lose them!), remove the back casing.

2) You'll need to undo three screws to remove the control stick's case from the controller. Don't lose those. There's also a black screw you'll need to remove if you want to get inside the case. This is the most important screw in the entire controller. Losing it means losing a controller, so keep it. Even though it belongs to a non-working controller, it's good to have a spare!

3) Now that you're inside the good stick's case, take out all the parts you need, which is usually everything except the electric part, which is really hard to remove from the circuit board anyway.

4) Now that you've got the good stick's parts, do whatever you want with the busted controller. I kept mine for parts, but eh, whatever.

5) Here comes the tricky part: replacing the bad stick in the working controller with the good stick. Open the working controller in the same way as the other one, as well as the stick's case.

6) Replace the bad parts with the good ones. Really, you only need to replace the white carriage, but I went ahead and did the whole thing. :tie: :tie: :tie:

7) While the stick's casing is rightside-up, the parts go in this order: lower casing, carriage/electric part, deep sensor. On the upper casing, turn it upside down and put the spring in, then the white ring on top. Poke the stick through it, and run it through the shallow sensor. This sounds kind of confusing, but here is what both assembled halves look like again for referrence.

8) Now that the stick is assembled, put the three screws that keep it on the controller's casing back in place. Remember that black screw? It is the most important screw in the controller. If you don't put it back in and tighten it as far as it will go, the control stick won't work right while you're playing a game (it will still register movement even while neutral).

9) If you want, you can put the non-working controller's back casing on the working controller, making a sort of Frankontroller, if you will. I put a black controller's back case on a green controller and it looks neat. Or you can put the same back case on if you want, it doesn't really matter. Put in the seven main screws. Remember those two up there on the memory card slot? They're useless, but they're good for replacing the control stick's black screw if you lost it earlier. Don't bother putting them back in there because it's really hard to do so and they just make it take longer if you need to get back in there.

10) :whole: Your controller is reassembled, you have a good, solid control stick in it, and now it's time to kick some ass in Perfect Dark or whatever other games you people play on your N64s. :keen:
FSFunky
Fergalicious

Post by FSFunky »

Wow that's pretty cool.

But I'm not going to try it. I have one OK-controller and one that's pretty fucked up, but not really bad. So I'll just make due with the OK one and hope that the N64-emulation scene gets its ass in gear and start making non-crappy video plugins.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

yeah, those sticks did wear out quickly. not helped by games like mario party where one of the games involved rotating the stick as fast as possible. people would just use their palm.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Impressive, Stak!

Anyway I remember about two years ago I bought a used N64 (which I actually say as the "NU64", because I still refer to it as it's original name, which was Nintendo Ultra 64) with a memory card, a controller, and the game "Mischief Makers" (which is a really good game by the way). Everything worked fine except the controller, which was a complete piece of shit. After two days or so I bought another controller, and that one was still a little worn but was far better than the first one. So yeah I guess that it just goes to show you.

I haven't played the N64 for about two years as well, but I don't at all regret buying it. Some people consider the N64 to be a failed system; I've never been able to understand that because that system was really popular in my hometown for a long while.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Ultra 64 was the codename

we don't call the GameCube the Dolphin.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
FSFunky
Fergalicious

Post by FSFunky »

Actually the codename for the N64 was Project Reality. The Ultra 64 really was going to be the name, but they changed it. And it makes sense in a way (Ultra > Super)
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I bought a Madcatz controller for Playstation and the rumbling was too strong so I opened it and taped one of them down and it worked fine.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

We used to put an atari joystick in the genesis to play as Tails in Sonic 2.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

It seems unlikely that this deeply unsatisfactory situation will be resolved by a new attempt to answer the old question; instead, as has been suggested by some of the most thoughtful students, we should expect to find that some part of the conceptual landscape in which this problematic entity resides must be reconstructed before it will come into focus.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

i'm trying to find out what genesis game that is.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I love Genesis games. I have about 50 of them.
snorby schnorrbusch
newcomer

Post by snorby schnorrbusch »

That game in the game would be ToeJam & Earl.

And if anyone knows how to change my username so it's not 41 anymore, I'd like that.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Get the oldschool fever and play your NES again and that will fix the problem

The came connectors may be flaky and there may be the blinky screen of death, but the brick controller is invincible.

Also, these are the buttons, so now you know! :safe:
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I second that statement. My NES controllers have survived the fall of the USSR, the Gulf War, Whitewater, 9/11, Gulf War II, and that time I got drunk and spilled water on them!
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

the day oof got drunk and spilled water on his nes controller was a dark time in the history of america, but america (and oof's controller) is strong, and no amount of water can dampen the spirits of the great american race
r