Why is my game exploding?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

FYNDR
Prepare for your utter dancification!

Why is my game exploding?

Post by FYNDR »

I have entered the following code into an object placed 1 space above the very lowest row on the screen and in about the middle column:

Code: Select all

@changer
#cycle 1
#if ubon then makepath
#restart
:makepath
#put w empty
/w
#put e empty
#put w empty
/w
#put s empty
/e
#put s empty
/e
#put s empty
#clear ubon
#die
ubon is merely a flag that determines when this goes into effect.

For some reason, the object will not put anything south. Is that supposed to happen, or is it totally freaking out?

~FYNDR
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

Sounds like the Bottom Row Glitch. Go to Mirror Image Games' web site and find Smallhacker's version of ZZT, 3.5, which fixes the problem.
JESUS CHRIST- You start the New Testament
with this Jesus. He is so superpowered and awesome, you feel converted. You place your hope in this Jesus.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Jazzy's right; you can't #put anything in the bottom row, because of some off-by-one error Tim Sweeney made when he wrote ZZT. For compatibility reasons, though, I'd recommend a workaround rather than a modified version of ZZT. I can think of at least two ways to create the same effect:

* Replace the tiles that are supposed to disappear with objects that #die when commanded to do so.

* Replace the tiles with a different type of terrain, but one that looks the same. For example, if the terrain on bottom row is originally a dark green solid, replace the tiles you want to disappear with dark green gems on a dark green background - then just #change gems empty.
FYNDR
Prepare for your utter dancification!

Post by FYNDR »

Thanks, guys. I also thought of that idea with the row of objects dying, but wanted a different effect, so I'll try Dos' second idea.

In highly unrelated news, does anyone here know who Garrison Keillor is? He does the popular radio show entitled "A Prairie Home Companion", and I'm probably the only person at my high school who listens to it. I asked everyone else if they knew about it, but they were all like, "What's a Garrison Keillor?". Then, the stabbing commenced.

~FYNDR
lemmer1800000000000000000
fggggggetytg385

Post by lemmer1800000000000000000 »

your game is exploding because it sucks

Garrison Keillor agrees

he wrote a Guy Noir sketch devoted solely to how much your game sucks
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

lemmer1800000000000000000 wrote:Image
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

There are no compatability errors between ZZT 3.2 and 3.25. At least, none that I have ever discovered in the 3 years I've used it on a daily basis...
with this Jesus. He is so superpowered and awesome, you feel converted. You place your hope in this Jesus.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

There is a good degree of reverse compatibility in that 3.2 games should run fine in ZZT 3.25, but there isn't as much compatibility if you're going the other way (for example, if FYNDR used #put statements in a way that doesn't work in ZZT 3.2). I'm just saying that wherever possible, games should not depend on an unofficial version of ZZT.

But that's just me being ultra-purist, I guess. ZZT 3.25 will play almost every ZZT 3.2 game ever made - I've only seen one engine that depends on the #put bug, and in my opinion, it wasn't a terribly useful one.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

and if you're going to use a modified version of zzt anyways, you should use wil's 4.0 instead.

But yeah, I never touch the stuff.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

I'd gladly use ZZT 4.1 (thank you Viovis) if it weren't for the fact that he took
out all the sound effects. Maybe that's just *me* being a purist, but I happened to like those sounds. =( Oh, and like I said elsewhere, you're also
still limited to 150 objects, contrary to what the .txt file says. I do love the
fact that he pushed the board size to 32kb though. I use 4.1 to make and
read a journal, mostly because no one else in my family knows how to get through the primitive locks I've put on there (eg have all the boards labeled !nono;{boardname} and one another labeled :nono, and put in a ?+password system on the main board). Anyway, that's just me. =/
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

!nono;{boardname}
pressing ESC instead of enter will still load that board in the editor

don't tell your family that :D

You can also read every program script and board name by loading the zzt world in notepad.

don't tell your family that either!
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

I kind of knew all that already. :(
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

Or did you
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

gingermuffins reads his sister's zzt diary! how could you invade her privacy??? >:(
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

:icannotcontrol: I LOVE TO STATE THE OBVIOUS SORRY :icannotcontrol: