Object Duplication

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

What can be said now?

Object Duplication

Post by 458 »

In an engine I'm working on, I kind of need a reliable way to duplicate objects. Obviously, I could just have a duplicator in one place and use the "feel along the walls" method to have the original get to it, but this has disadvantages:

1) Duplicator noise
2) annoying, specialized programming to find duplicator
3) it jams up if more than one object uses it.

Any other ideas for object replication, or fixes for the disadvantages of the "easy" way?
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I dunno... If you can get the timing exactly right, you might be able to make another object play a rest every time the duplicator duplicates.
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

Post by Zephyr »

Elaborate - What are you trying to duplicate? Can't you just use a #put command? You can do that even if it's STK; Look in the ZZT Encyclopedia. It tells you all about it.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

If the object that is duplicated is supposed to find its way to the duplicator, then

Okay, after reading your problem again I've decided I have no idea what you're talking about. It's not possible to duplicate an object without a duplicator, but since what you want to do seems more complicated, there may be an alternative. You need to explain just what you want to do.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

@mutething
#cycle 1
#play sx
/i
#restart

Or something like that can get rid of duplicator noise.

If you're trying to duplicate a programable object then you need a duplicator. Other wise like said above, you can have an object #put a gem or a lion or a key or ammo or whatever.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

Post by Zephyr »

What would happen if you tried to duplicate a duplicator? MY BRAIN HURTS.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I tried it once. It worked.
What can be said now?

Post by 66 »

1) Duplicator noise
You could use the silencer, but if you'd play music in the meantime that'd do just the same thing. I don't know a way of tweaking a dupe to become silent of it's own
2) annoying, specialized programming to find duplicator
why find a dupe? you could just have 1 dupe for each object and leave the object there. then it'd only need to find it's way back/

3) it jams up if more than one object uses it
use multiple dupes.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Find its way back? Why not just leave it trapped behind the wall forever? Or, if you wanted it to stop being duplicated at certain points in time, you could leave an extra space next to the object and send it a message to move out of the way of the duplicator when you don't need it.
What can be said now?

Post by 66 »

that's about what I had in mind
What can be said now?

Post by 53 »

here's an idea
pust b :P
or tell the user to do that
What can be said now?

Post by 105 »

If it helps, you can duplicated from a distance by modifying the xstep and ystep of a duplicator. There's more information on this in the KevEdit documention, I believe.
What can be said now?

Post by 66 »

In other words: ADVANCED TWEAKING
probably you'll find the ALT+T in kevedits documentation, but what to change is something different. If I'm correct you can just change the x and y step to some large values, then it'll duplicate from his location + the x/ystep to it's location - x/y step, but if you could find Nanobot, you better ask him since I'm not sure about whether it works at larger distances
What can be said now?

Post by 53 »

You might be able to get a hold of Nano at the Mystical Winds Website
What can be said now?

Post by 458 »

Thanks, bitman. That should really help. Now if I can just get the OTHER bugs in my engine squashed dead....