Development of a QBasic ZZT clone

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Jotz
rank bank jotz

Development of a QBasic ZZT clone

Post by Jotz »

That is right, I am attempting to make yet another QB ZZT clone. I have already started the interface and some of the editing and playing of worlds. And I won't just leave here because I have a couple questions/requests:

1. What are the major limitations of QB that I should know of that may affect the development of a ZZT clone?

2. I am thinking of naming the new clone, "ZUL." I don't remember, but did zzo38 make a VB ZZT clone of the same name?

3. If anyone has the ZZ3 source code, it would be super if you could send it to me.
╟ is the best char.
TTTPPP
Latest band news: "There are no news!"

Post by TTTPPP »

Can you even make exe's with QB? Or would I require a copy of QB to run the program?
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

i think the whole idea of a programming language is to make .exe's

also i have a huge erection right now
"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." Harry J. Anslinger, 1929
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Re: Development of a QBasic ZZT clone

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I've made executable files with QuickBASIC before. I'm not sure how well-optimized they are, though.
Jotz wrote:I am thinking of naming the new clone, "ZUL." I don't remember, but did zzo38 make a VB ZZT clone of the same name?
ZARELL is a little bit like DARELL, which is a like bit like DARRYL... but is different.

In a related story... ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

ninja from the nth dimension
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Is the ninja's name Darell?
Jotz
rank bank jotz

Post by Jotz »

I have changed the language I am using to FreeBasic. It makes Windows applications and is library compatible. That means I'll be able to include fmod! (midi, mod, mp3, wav, you name it). Anyway, I did make some progress. The sidebar menu for the editor is done, and the cursor can place and draw blocks on the screen.
╟ is the best char.
What can be said now?

Post by 235 »

that's cute.
What can be said now?

Post by 894 »

• How do you plan to do scripting? Have you implemented a virtual machine before?
  • Will there be an alpha or a screenshot soon?
  • Will you release the source?
Hayabusa
The destructor

Post by Hayabusa »

Jotz wrote:I That means I'll be able to include fmod! (midi, mod, mp3, wav, you name it).
As you know Jotz, I'm all for digital music, And I hope everything goes well and you can complete it with a good product. Work hard man, I'm looking forward to seeing it
Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror - Hazuki Dojo
Jotz
rank bank jotz

Post by Jotz »

Never mind. I don't see why I would need to use/make one for a ZZT clone. The programming langauge for the editor will be similar to ZZT, but optimized, of course.

Oh, by the way, I unfortunately took a step backwards with the project. I had to change from text graphics to a ported QB graphics library. Don't worry, the library is many times faster than what QB could ever do. So right now I am working on creating the imitation charset. It *might* support mulitiple colors for each block, but it will probably have 256 colors.
╟ is the best char.
Hayabusa
The destructor

Post by Hayabusa »

Jotz wrote:Never mind. I don't see why I would need to use/make one for a ZZT clone.
Wait....what do you mean? Does this mean no music? :ssj:
Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror - Hazuki Dojo
Jotz
rank bank jotz

Post by Jotz »

Don't worry, I was talking about the virtual machine that Noiprox mentioned.
╟ is the best char.
What can be said now?

Post by 894 »

Jotz wrote:Never mind. I don't see why I would need to use/make one for a ZZT clone. The programming langauge for the editor will be similar to ZZT, but optimized, of course.
...ZZT has a virtual machine...
Jotz
rank bank jotz

Post by Jotz »

Oh : (. Can you tell me in a bit of detail what it is? I thought it wasn't needed because the definition was that it is an OS of its own. I've only been coding for about a month so I don't have much experience.
╟ is the best char.