ZZT <experience>

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Should Runtime-errors be replicated and cause ZZT experience to crash?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 28

SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

ZZT <experience>

Post by SaxxonPike »

I figured I'd start a new thread, since the title of the other one made no sense. Oh, and there's a little poll.
What can be said now?

Post by 20 »

make a debug window thingy. showing which limit/code/element made it crash, allow you to go there in the editor, etc. also make a hotkey for the window. and put flags and health/ammo/etc values in there for easy editing too.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Then I realized I was in Clones.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

CyQ wrote:make a debug window thingy. showing which limit/code/element made it crash, allow you to go there in the editor, etc. also make a hotkey for the window. and put flags and health/ammo/etc values in there for easy editing too.
There is already a debug window, during gameplay keep pressing 'X' until you get the window. It just shows all the stats for all the stat elements on the board, the current board, and an object's OOP programming.
What can be said now?

Post by 83 »

Why not let the player choose if "ZZT-like crashing" should be on?
If on, then it would fake a crash, and if off, it would bring up a message "WORLD ERROR! (Real ZZT would have crashed)"
What can be said now?

GEORGE CLONEY

Post by 235 »

Uhh, why would you want crashing? What's the point of making a replica of zzt, why don't you just improve on it? Like anyone will really choose the option "Crash like zzt" anyway.
Terryn
torpid refresh rates!

Post by Terryn »

From what I've gathered, this seems like an attempt to simulate ZZT as much as possible. So, if the goal is simulation, it'd make sense to keep in the crashes, wouldn't it? Besides, I'm sure there's games out there that rely on bugs.
What can be said now?

Post by 371 »

I remember some ZZTers actually making use of the runtime-error thingies, after Chronos included some information about them in the ZZT Encyclopedia. I included one, in Quest for Glory, as a password protection.

But to answer the question - no, I don't think they should be replicated. Especially not the ones that deal with ZZT files being too big (everyone surely remembers playing Fred! 2 could be quite difficult :) ).
Mr_Alert
Ordinery

Post by Mr_Alert »

Keep them! <lamepun> Runtime errors are a part of the ZZT <experience>! </lamepun>
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

NO

Post by Zephyr »

"Yes, great idea Mr Gates. Let's make their operating systems crash after five years so they have to get the newest software." :hmmmm:
:hmmmm:
Why On EARTH would you want to purposely put bugs into new software? (besides what's mentioned above.) I thought clones were made to make zzt better.
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

Hydra wrote:I remember some ZZTers actually making use of the runtime-error thingies, after Chronos included some information about them in the ZZT Encyclopedia. I included one, in Quest for Glory, as a password protection.

But to answer the question - no, I don't think they should be replicated. Especially not the ones that deal with ZZT files being too big (everyone surely remembers playing Fred! 2 could be quite difficult :) ).
Well, I'm not talking about ones like that... ones that make the game crash if you touched a "dead" scroll or something.
What can be said now?

Post by 371 »

If you mean those runtime errors then I really think you should keep them :)
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

What I'd really like, though is a bug report of games that don't work correctly, and by that I mean mostly OOP support and such. ZZT is such a crazy thing... :ravebaron:
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

Smallhacker wrote:Why not let the player choose if "ZZT-like crashing" should be on?
If on, then it would fake a crash, and if off, it would bring up a message "WORLD ERROR! (Real ZZT would have crashed)"
I think this is a good idea. This way, game designers working in ZZT Experience who wanted to make sure that their worlds would run in both the classic ZZT and ZZT Experience would be able to ensure there were no run-time errors in their games.

There's absolutely no reason, of course, to simulate a potentially data-damaging crash; I think, as Smallhacker suggests, that the user should simply be notified.
What can be said now?

Post by 136 »

I think it shud cause it to stop and show a debug window