Weekend of ZZT 2007

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: Dangit!

Post by Quantum P. »

Shadow Mage wrote:For the games that are submitted, after the contest, are they all included for people to download and try? Or is it just the best one(s) that are included?
Usually, all the games are included, although sometimes a contest host will throw out blatant joke entries.
gingermuffins wrote:i had fun making it at least.
Right on.
bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by bustaballs »

I think mine is somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/2 way done. I hope I can finish in time.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

We're at about half-time now. There are a lot of questions here, so bear with me:
My Liver Hurtz wrote:Sorry to withdraw, I just need a frustration-free weekend or I'll probably kill somebody.
It's fine, don't worry about it.
Homz wrote:This weekend just isn't going to work for me. I'm out, guys, sorry.
Thanks for taking a shot at it, anyway.
snorb wrote:I can't come up with something that doesn't involve ripping of- err, permanently borrowing from Burglar! ...
So long as you don't borrow actual code or word-for-word plot, you should just go ahead.
Dr. Dos wrote:I think I'm going to do what I usually do in these things and drop out and offer to judge instead.
Thank you for offering, but three judges is enough.
bustaballs wrote:Edit: How do I make text white? Also, the 9 flag limit is just set flags, right? I can have as many flags cleared and set as I want, right?
Nine flags can be #set at any one time. #setting the same flag twice without #clearing it uses two slots, though. Regarding text, start the line with a $ character. This centers the text and makes it white; it was intended for use in headings.
Shadow Mage wrote:I'm also wondering. For the games that are submitted, after the contest, are they all included for people to download and try? Or is it just the best one(s) that are included?
My policy is that all games that show at least some real attempt at making a good game (at least a few hours' work) will be included in the ZIP, and these will all be judged. Joke entries are sometimes pretty funny, but I want to encourage real games, so I don't include them.
Stargazer wrote:I have a very stupid rules question: obviously the .zip filename and the text file have my username in them, but do I need to keep the actual .zzt anonymous? Or do the judges not care about that? Memories of team numbers are slowly coming back to me....
There are no requirements for the name of the actual ZZT file. You can make it anything you please. It would help if the accompanying TXT file had the same name.
snorb wrote:Madtom: Umm, is it too late to drop out and offer to judge? My creativity is all bltkzzzzzzzft right about now =(
I don't need another judge, I need more entries. Please keep going.

Ando, Commodore, Kjorteo, hyde`, Jur, gingermuffins, Master Raze, Stargazer, eRN56, Zandor 12: Great stuff ... keep going!
ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

I only have one board left to do now. I really feel like I'm forgetting something - it seems odd to be done so early.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

Woo, almost done. I really just need to test it, and see what else I can add to it. It's been a fun weekend, and I'm definitely going to do it next time, or even hope for something smaller like a BKZZT to come up. I'm pretty tired right now, even though it's noon here because of how little sleep I had over the weekend. Nonetheless, my game's nearing completion and I'll submit it as soon as I can.

I've spent probably 1/3 of the whole time using the default editor, though I've mainly been trying to stick to KevEdit. :/

Edit: I just thought that it'd be cool to attempt to modify the file format via a hex edit to add a little extra to my entry. I'm backing it up, just in case I do something horrible wrong.

Edit 2: My game isn't going to be a "winning entry;" I really just tried to rush on the plot, which I feel brought it down.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I guess that I'm about halfway done.

A second topic probably could have rushed things along, you know. Oh well.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

I would estimate being a little less than half-done at this point (18 boards :agh:) but, as stated before, the first ones are always the longest to make. My hunch is that I am totally on schedule. :keen:
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

My games probably going to be the shortest of them all.

I'm just wondering... Do we get points for featuring furries?
Meh, can't beleive how little I come to these forums now.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

So I was the first one to submit my entry. That's not a good sign at all. :(

However since it's my first WoZ I have an excuse. :)

Maybe next time I'll make a bigger/better game. Mine only takes 5 minutes or so to complete. maybe less.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Seems like the only thing I got done is the title screen. Sadly, I'm unmoving to do the rest. Just can get into it. Image
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

I've got about 4 more main boards to work on and a few other quick ones. I should be done in time.

How many more hours are left?
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

what happens if a board's size exceeds 20k? Does it just start crashing or what?
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

It opens a rift in timespace, flinging you back to 1670's Virginia where you are accused of being a witch and presumably burnt at the stake.

...Also, the board crashes. Also also, I'm pretty sure that it crashes at 20,000 bytes and not 20k exactly, so you actually have more like 19.5k to work with.

Edit: Woah, one day left. I should probably get started! Doing absolutely nothing with both WoZ and homework on both Friday and Saturday sure was a great idea!!
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

Done:

It started out pretty decent but then after lack of free time and endless amounts of brain farts I wound up making total garbage. This is what happens when I have to watch one year old kid when I'm trying to make a zzt game. Be warned.

I don't even think the game applied to the topic very well. It was going to but then I was like... "topic?".

Whatever. I worked. I submitted.

Good luck to everyone else.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

I damn near had a heart attack when I ran it the first time for bug-testing purposes and ZZT crashed. There's no way I could come back from corruption this late in the game. Fortunately, KevEdit still worked, and changing every object I was using as a decorative wall into an actual wall saved it. It's significantly uglier now, but about a third of the size, and most importantly, it runs.

Anyway, the main portion of the game is done. 40 boards total, not counting the blank template board for the engine.

Now all that's left to do is code in the climax/end part. Things are looking good! :keen:
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.