problems with screen resolution

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

gingermuffins

problems with screen resolution

Post by gingermuffins »

This is a longshot, but any help would be appreciated.

I'm having trouble on my pc (win xp) because the resolution in zzt (and all consoles at full screen) is a bit off. It should be 640x400, but it's running at 640x350. It causes these "stitching" problems with the dithered tiles and it drives me up the wall. It leaves streaky patterns on any shape made up of normals or water.

Here is an example:

It only looks like this when ZZT is run normally (edit: through windows). There are no image problems under dosbox, but it's somehow slow and I shouldn't have to use that when it otherwise runs perfectly under normal conditions. Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction on how to make the screen display in the proper resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I think dos box uses its own graphical display for dos making it more accurate to what was intended for zzt.

Are you using a lcd screen? It may limit what resoloutions are available.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I'm using a crt monitor. I can live with it of course but it's a little annoying.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

bad font

Post by Pancake »

that happens the same way for my windows me computer, however, on my windows xp computer, it looks fine (runs slowly, though). i always thought that the bad look was due to an altered default dos font, so what i would do is creat a font using a tool like font mania (i'm sure it's posted somewhere on the main site) to create a .COM file, and use note pad to create a .BAT file. use the .BAT file to load zzt or a zzt game, and it'll look normal!

for your dos box speed problem, did you try using ctrl f12 to increase the speed? if so, than i dunno what is slowing it down besides something like a low amount or ram or running too many programs at once :\
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

actually, and I should have remembered this but I'm still not sure it's the problem, but the font you need is here: http://zzt.org/zgames/z/zzfont.zip
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

aaahhhh ahahah hah thanks guys

it works :D

mostly

the zzfont works with zztunder and from the command line, but not when running through win32 kevedit (i think it calls cmd.exe to run zzt, and there's no time to load a font)

But this is very good
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i think win32 kevedit uses it's own font, not sure though.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I tinkered for a while

For some inexplicable reason, it's all looking good now

cool
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

one thing i've noticed, i don't know if it'll be of any use to you:

when i load up zzt and i start in a window, i find that if i convert to fullscreen during the startup screen (mouse, keyboard? color, monochrome?), it usually has the ugly resolution problem you mentioned in the fullscreen mode. however, if i change to fullscreen after that screen is gone and zzt itself starts, there is no problem.

i guess the startup uses a different resolution, or something. since the zzt font goes over the startup screen, it forces it into a different resolution so there's no problem.

(ps. i do not use dosbox to load zzt)
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

NADIR WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT A PROBLEM ITS JUST WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I just realized that this morning. It was always loading in the bad resolution because I had changed zzt.exe's properties to start in full screen mode automatically

Now i know better

Mystery solved!