WoZ 2006 #2

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

An entry will be classified as junk if it is either of extremely low quality or it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic (i.e., there isn't even an awkward insertion of the topic into the dialogue). Games that are of extremely low quality will not be seen by the public. Games that are brilliant but are completely off topic will not be judged or included in the contest compilation, but they will be released to the public in some form, and the author will be urged to upload their game to the Z2 archives.

If a game is even marginally on topic, it will be included in the judging, but it will lose points. When judging, I will take the following approach. I will assess how good the game is as a game; this score will be scaled according to how well I think the entry incorporated the topic. For example, if I would rank the game's relevance to the topic as 5/10, I would halve the game's score. Thus, entries that are barely on topic will likely receive scores lower than 1/10 (decimal scores will probably be used). They will be judged and distributed, but they will not win.

If I suspect that an entry was created for the sole purpose of messing with me or the system, I will disqualify it anyway, even if it is marginally on topic. For example, I will not accept an entry if it is obvious that you took some other game and changed some of the dialogue. To summarize: If you're honestly trying to participate, your game will be judged and distributed - otherwise, your entry will be disqualified.
Terryn
torpid refresh rates!

Post by Terryn »

Okay, that's just the answer I needed. Thanks!

It's good to have this down in advance, since the more serious the competition becomes the more people will become idiots about it.
snorby schnorrbusch
newcomer

Post by snorby schnorrbusch »

I is participating!

Even if I have to fake my own death again to get out of work!
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I think junk entries should be allowed.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

haha i see what you did there
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Why do you say that, oof? Also, nice to see you around!
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Partly I said that because 24hozzt contests went better in their early years. And junk entries were allowed in early years. So maybe I thought there was some causality there.

Partly because I don't see why a puppy drowns every time somebody makes one. The rule seems archaic and I suspect that junk entries wouldn't be the same now anyway. The yellow borders with skeptisoft and nerto cameos that bring up the subject of gmaes and how qualified they are to fxi them have probably become quite unfashionable.

Mostly though I said that because fuck rules.

But you just do what your heart desires you cute little rascal.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
TTTPPP
Latest band news: &quot;There are no news!&quot;

Post by TTTPPP »

Was there a decision made on whether to continue the rule about not accepting early submissions? I think it was a good rule.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I thought that the "no early submissions" rule was pretty good too, so I'll keep it unless everybody starts complaining.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Once again, I am totally flattered that a rule I made up is liked enough that it's actually being brought back for Quantum's WoZ. Seriously, that makes me feel all warm inside and stuff. :D

Anyway, my thought on junk entries: they are bad, because I have never seen someone make more than one entry total--even in my WoZ, in which I specifically spelled out in very big letters in the rules that you could have up to three. Thus, any junk entry is usually a sign that you could have gotten a quality entry, but you didn't, because they made a junk entry instead.

I saw it happen in MadTom's WoZ, where all I had to do to win was beat Jur, because he was pretty much the only other person whose entry was high-enough quality to be a contender. I then saw it happen again in Ando's WoZ, where all I had to do to win again was beat Nedemai, for the same reason. At MadTom's suggestion, I banned junk entries outright for mine, and all nine of my entries were legitimate! Granted, some were of obviously higher quality than others--I doubt anyone considered Metal Adidas' "Benny's" to be a serious contender to win it all, for example--but they all tried, and nine out of nine legitimate entries is absolutely outstanding compared to MadTom's and Ando's turnout.

Therefore, as MadTom said earlier,
MadTom wrote:If Kjorteo's serious treatment of the contest is anything to go by, (banning junk entries) works.
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

jesus christ people

is it really that important
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i am with madtom on this issue
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

[img]http://dr_dos.box43.net/misc/dino1.jpg[/img]
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Unless there are any objections, the WoZ is still on for May 5-8, which puts it at a little less than a month away! Since we're fast approaching the date of the contest, I'd like to get the judging panel together sometime soon. If you're considering being a judge, speak up now.

Zenith, Jotz, and Fungahhh: are you guys still willing to judge?
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

I'm totally out of gameplay ideas for now (those paying attention would notice that my previous entries were mostly clever engines with games wrapped around them) and I'm busy with work, as always. Therefore, I don't think I'll be able to compete.

I am interested in judging, because I'd feel bad totally not participating in any way whatsoever! And judging is better than nothing. It sounds like you've got judges already, but can I put myself on the waiting list or something should any of them back out?
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.