ZZT games that make you nostalgic

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

ZZT games that make you nostalgic

Post by Quantum P. »

Up until about 7 or 8 years ago, I was playing ZZT pretty much daily on a 486 running Windows 3.1. I would play the same ZZT games over and over, only every now and then downloading a new one. Maybe that's why I get so nostalgic about those games I played, regardless of their quality.

Anyway, here's two that have been on my mind recently:

Invasion ZZT
Aliens abduct your dog, and it's up to you and your friends to save the day--because your parents won't be any help! The graphics are so-so, and the writing has issues, but the game has its moments. It's even funny at times! I just played it this afternoon, and I noticed a pretty strong world peace/save the environment message, which somehow went right past me when I was younger.

Secret Agent Joe Moe
Unlike Invasion ZZT, I haven't played this one recently, but I can remember playing it a lot. You're a secret agent who does secret agent stuff like infiltrate secret bases, go up into space, and thwart the plans of bad guys. I'm pretty sure there's a vaguely futuristic plot, but I can't remember it being terribly important to the gameplay. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Those two games remind me of times past, but that's not the only reason I like them. I like them because they couldn't be anything but ZZT games. These are games that were made up as the author went along (to varying degrees), games where the main characters are involved in adventures of mild plausibility, where clichéd plots are not as important as the side-adventures they tie together. Expansive games that ramble on for board after board, each board a product of love by some aspiring programmer a decade ago. Games made to please one's self and a few friends, games which truly capture the spirit of the medium. Games with bedrooms and toilets!

Anyway, which ZZT games take you back?
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

All Of Them
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Link's Adventure series.

I AM BLUE KONG, HEAR ME ROAR!
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Before I had the internet I had played the Best of ZZT, I think it was included on a shareware CD but can't remember which. I found z2 through clysm's site. The first ZZT world I downloaded was Turmoil. Then I played Kudzu, which I was unable to beat at the time. When I got to z2, Burglar! had just won the GOTM so that was the third game I played. Then I went looking for RPGs, and played Rhygar, Warlock Domain, Wartorn, and Legend of Brandonia.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

gotta be honest here, old megazeux games c. 1998 make me nostalgic more than zzt, because i could only run mzx on one computer for about six months before it stopped working and even then sometimes it crashed in the middle of bernard the bard or something because THAT PROGRAM SUCKED ASS FOR SUCH A GODDAMN LONG TIME, JESUS CHRIST

so my entry to this is everything by darren hewer, all of it, every game he made is my own personal nostalgia love-in

Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

company magazines were the best, esp. akmag
r
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Raiders of the Lost Gem by Carlos DaSilva is my answer without any ambiguity. I was a big fan of that game.

Quest for Glory by Hydra was another early favorite of mine.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

yes, i also have nostalgia for the early interactive fantasies from dutchland, especially quest for the immortals and savage isle and indiana jones and forest of zzt and king's quest zzt and freak da cat, the cat who says Shit

there's just something about them that no other games have, even the later stuff by hydra and hercules didn't have the same vibe to them

savage isle especially ruled because you just walked around an island and talked to fantasy dudes, and that's the entire game, no fighting whatsoever

RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Zenith Nadir wrote:yes, i also have nostalgia for the early interactive fantasies from dutchland, especially quest for the immortals and savage isle and indiana jones and forest of zzt and king's quest zzt and freak da cat, the cat who says Shit

there's just something about them that no other games have, even the later stuff by hydra and hercules didn't have the same vibe to them

savage isle especially ruled because you just walked around an island and talked to fantasy dudes, and that's the entire game, no fighting whatsoever
Yeah, I know what you mean. I loved those games. Savage Isle and Kings Quest ZZT are great because they're the games you want to make when you're a kid. They don't rely too heavily on story-telling, intricate programming or graphical excellence (though they are beautiful, in a grand age of ZZT kind of way).. they're just so playable and bright and fun.

I also agree on Quest For Glory ZZT. Some of it's graphics are amazing (especially the houses in the village, I've tried to emulate the sense of perspective, I FAILED every time). It also feels like a rewarding challenge and a very complete game.
My waste is my weapon.
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

banana quest and edible vomit.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

Escape from Castle ZaZoomda!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuckin A

Also: Every other Macrosoft Game oh, and Business Bob, also Code Red (Code Red: SE)

and who could forget Dragon Woods!

this thread is now about making fun of nadir
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

hahaha nadur
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

fox tampons was a watershed moment in zzt development
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

ZZTV 6

Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

Anything by Draco, really. I downloaded THE COMPLETE COLLECTION and it helped ruin my mind. Thanks a lot, Draco.

I remember going on a downloading rampage when I found ZZT and trying to download the entire archive alphabetically (I never got past B).

Also, fox tampons