I got a question again....

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

shawnwilson
newcomer

I got a question again....

Post by shawnwilson »

Here is the info I know. I was editing a game I was working on. It had about 7 rooms done. File size was 27Kb. I was using things in stk. No warp passages and the the rooms went to the left. For some reason when i finished the last board i was on and made another room to link it to that was empty, and test played it when i got to the last board i finished editing and moved on to the next room that was empty the game crashed. I took some things out of the room and it still crashed. I cleared the level itself and just made a tunnel to the room i was gonna be working on next. Then I tried again and the game still crashed.

Is this because I had to much in the room and it caused a mess up? Is it because I am running it under windows full screen mode and not dos? Is it because I used a lot of blinking invisible walls in the room? To many objects in the room. Something I didn't think off. Is it that i had to much bulky script through out the game?

Anyway because of this I have to start over on a whole new game. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice. If you think you know what I did please let me know. If you don't know just point your finger and laugh cause I have not a clue either. :agh:
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Note when I say I play tested it means I played it from the start of the game. It did not crash when I play tested it from the one room to the next only when i started from the start of the game.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: I got a question again....

Post by Commodore »

shawnwilson wrote:Is it because I am running it under windows full screen mode and not dos? Is it because I used a lot of blinking invisible walls in the room? Too many objects in the room?
none of these things. windowed or fullscreen shouldn't matter, and zzt won't let you place more than the total number of allowed objects.
shawnwilson wrote:Is it that i had to much bulky script through out the game?
that's a possibility, but the max board size is about 14k (though things can start to get unstable around 12k+) and since the total of your game is 27k over 7 boards I don't think this is the case. kevedit can tell you what the size of the board is (press I).

I think the best option to save your work would be to convert the boards that do work into .brd files. press T in the editor to export the boards into individual files then start a new world and import back them in.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

What Commodore said. At this point, the best thing is probably to export the good boards and import them into a new world.

Also, you might want to do the board imports/exports in KevEdit. I've had problems before with importing large numbers of boards using the built-in editor.

Also also, make backups all the time, especially right now! That way, if something goes wrong with your salvage operation, you can always try again.

Also also also, if you ever get stuck, I've had some experience with rescuing corrupt ZZT worlds. If you can't salvage something and have tried everything (and don't mind me seeing your game), you can email it to me.