Was wondering? Noob question!

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

shawnwilson
newcomer

Was wondering? Noob question!

Post by shawnwilson »

Can you make a slime that you can't stop when you touch it. It just keeps pushing you? I want this so i can use blue slimes to flood a room and can't be stopped. This will increase the challenge later in the game. If anyone knows if this can be done let me know. I have not attempted yet. Also side note. I spend all day today taking all the stuff from STK and Zfiles and putting them all onto one level. Hope no one gets mad at me.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

no you can't. I'd just try to make the slime fast and hope the player has no way of stopping it.

and no one will get mad, that's what stk and z-files are for (you'll make nadir smile i'm sure.)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

for the record, i'd be more than happy to put out another z-files if people made a bunch more toolkits

i did officially announce 2.5 as the final version, but it's not my own choice. you know how it is.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

stop using toolkits, only idiots like nadir use toolkits, just use kevedit: jeez. take my zzt advice as i am a respected member of the community.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

I have not tried Kev edit or the other one yet because I do not really know
how much better it is.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

why must we fight

why can't kevedit and zzt toolkits live together in peace
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

man, fuck kevedit
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

So kev edit just basically has all the toolkits in it? I really wanna know the difference between them. I should just download it. I have no problem using zzt and toolkits because zzt is where it all started at. Its where my respect lies. Besides anything I make won't be that spectacular. i guess i should just download the kev edit just to see what I am missing.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Ok I took a look at kev edit just now. I am not sure how i feel about it. It seems to make the blinks and color blends simple. It also has stuff in it i don't understand.
Monitor? Don't have a clue what this would do....
Board edge? What you can put a board edge in the middle of the board or something? is that what this does? Plus horizontal blink and vertical blink?
I am sure this is all in its help file. Since learning is only fun sometimes I am gonna say that now that im comfortable with the stks and zzt 3.2 i really don't want to get into the kev edit right now.

I am gonna shy away from this for now. Although who knows what the future holds. I am gonna stick with what the newbie guide says. After I make a few games and want to learn more then Ill go into kev edit.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Oh wow... you cant play test the games in it? Wow... this is not for me. I have to play test everything I do in zzt because I am such a noob. Plus in the long run i think using zzt and the stk would take about the same time as using kevedit and i have the ability to play test right away. Maybe only good for layout out the groundwork to your levels... i dunno.
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

i believe the classically heralded advantages of kevedit are as follows:
1. copy + paste
2. extended palette/"eye dropper tool" (idunno what to call it. the pattern that is set with 'enter')

A monitor, I believe, has something to do with determining that the Title Screen (which is just a board, really) is in fact the Title Screen)

Board edges are great great great great great! They let you put the edge of a board (the space you walk into that makes you travel to the next board in that direction) anywhere on a board, not just an edge. Super useful, comes in all sorts of colors. I think it's somewhere in the ZZT Encyclopædia.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Thanks for the info. Yea I got the encyclopedia. Ill be looking into that.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

press "r" in kevedit to test your world. make sure you save and make sure kevedit has been extracted to the same directory as zzt.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Oh. Yea I am construction my first game under zzt 3.2 for now. I am not against kev edit. I am sure ill be playing around with that to. I'm getting into more stuff a little every day. Does the encyclopedia have pretty much everything you can do with zzt oop in it? I wouldn't be surprised if it did. There is a lot of information to absorb in it. I have been able to do everything I want so far.

The only thing is I can't make a object die and place a key in the spot it was. In case something is against a wall and cant place a key or item. I just make it seek the player then place the key opposite. That will have to do for now.

So far I am just working on a puzzle type game with a decent plot. Each room has to deal with the elements. I am guessing it wont have any oop in it you guys have not seen before but maybe people will cut me some slack because its my first game.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

#become red key

substitute the word "red" for any zzt-acceptable colour of your choosing.