Was wondering? Noob question!

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Since I have not been around the community long I don't know if anyone has done this or not. I have a scrips for an object that acts like wind going in a direction. It pushes player back. If it can't anymore it dissapears. You set up a bunch of them in a row behind duplicatiors and it become more difficult to navigate through. I have put it in the game I am working on now. I have actually spent a lot of time so far on it and have some different levels. Some choices you make effect things here and there. Still adding more to it. I will be eager to get some people to play it.

Anyway back on track. If interested I could show this script. You guys could try to cut it down and check it over. Show it in its basic form. I am still not sure how I got it to work. I would be happy to see other people using it in other forms and extending upon it.

In closing. I think the encyclopedia should try to focus more on the reference and learning experience. Easy to navigate through. Easy to look up how the script is done, even without looking it up in the board editor if possible. Like instead of showing 10 gems glow show just one. The smaller the scripts are the better for grabbing and adding on to. the basic concepts of stuff is really all thats needed.

We should try to come up with some examples of outlooks to just for fun. Of how it would look and navigate. "The ultimate zzt guide" or different names. Im not try to spearhead this only voice ideas. I could help here and there when i can if you all seriously putting time into it. As always I am a noob so dont expect much knowledge from my part. if I get involved I will learn more.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

So simple... I want to look something up. I go and can find a basic enough script that i can jot down and load up zzt and start implementing it.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I do think there should be more documentation for the engines. A lot of the engines are of the form, "Hey, look at this cool thing I made", but they don't clearly explain how to make it (or even the basic principle behind why it works!).
Commodore wrote:thinking of platformers and engines, there should be a general discussion about the different methods for using the player as a controller, like arrows that detect contact and put an empty vs arrows you have to actually touch.
This is a very good idea.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

Quantum P. wrote:
Commodore wrote:thinking of platformers and engines, there should be a general discussion about the different methods for using the player as a controller, like arrows that detect contact and put an empty vs arrows you have to actually touch.
This is a very good idea.
treasure hunter zzt deserves a special mention here, what with the whole "platform player object can pick up gems and ammo" deal. i never worked out how ejection13 pulled that one off (someone find the code for me)

i stole the basic engine for that one platform section in fantasy world dizzy zzt and added a couple of doodads to it (including a #put seek empty command into the control objects, which every platform engine should really do). i half-intended to make a full platform game with that engine but then i felt kind of bad about "appropriating" treasure hunter's engine so i didn't.

this did not stop me from outright stealing dexter's bxod engine for <untitled>, mind you
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Zenith Nadir wrote:i stole the basic engine for that one platform section in fantasy world dizzy zzt and added a couple of doodads to it (including a #put seek empty command into the control objects, which every platform engine should really do). i half-intended to make a full platform game with that engine but then i felt kind of bad about "appropriating" treasure hunter's engine so i didn't.

this did not stop me from outright stealing dexter's bxod engine for <untitled>, mind you
You know that is a lot nicer than

Code: Select all

:loop
#if contact x
#loop
:x
#object:west
/e/w#loop
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.