Help a noob?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

on most of my posts this is where an easter egg would go.

Post by Scribbit »

Hi there. I'm relatively new (read: showed up after most of the good people left (MOST NOT ALL)) and I noticed you actually put a subject in your subject field, usually I'm the only person who does that anymore.

I haven't actually finished a ZZT world in a while and most of the regulars in the chatrooms think I'm annoying, but I really do like ZZT and I'm glad to see you got here safely.

Also, Zaphod made a forum on belsambar.net that has file dumps for ZZT and MegaZeux games but nobody uses either of those, so just submit the file using z2's bin. Eventually an admin reads the list of recently (read: within the last few months) submitted files, chooses the ones that look non-spam-like, and files them. It's a neat little system.

Oh, and yeah, there's a lot of sarcasm and slang here (I don't understand most of it) but basically a little swearing is to be expected (read: I overuse parenthesis).
I'm nupanick.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Awsome.

Post by shawnwilson »

Well I am glad for all the response. I am glad these forums are not dead. So far this is the absolute best website for this game. I am currently using
zzt 3.2 because I don't want to overwhelm myself with the others yet. Like I said I am just making a test game, more to get myself used to the scripting. So far so good. Right now I am still in the basics. Multiple choice I have gotten down. Dropping keys and such. I have scripted flags and was successful. Yes I know its cliche but its a prison escape game. So you find a shank and if you touch certain guards they die... its neat. I have gotten guards to follow you around and if they touch you, you lose a little life.

Things I will be attempting:
Big boss: Takes so many shots. Shoots back. Drops other monsters (Maybe) has a nifty catch phrase each time you shoot it. "Just a scratch!!" When it dies a pile of blood comes out and fades... also leaving behind a treasure! I know the blood thing is cliche to but I will be attempting it.

All I know is that I will not be trying any advance techniques until I am confident that I have all the basics. I remember playing zzt when i was around 13 and now i am 27 and i can say this program has come along way! I look though the encyclopedia of zzt and I realize anything i make anytime soon will be considered extremely amateur. Also may I say I found a zzt song program with a keyboard and such that saves it to a brd file. This thing is perfect for me. I happen to play a little keyboards in my day so the best part of my games will be the music. Sad I know.

Well I guess that really all I have to say for now. Every time you guys respond I feel I must say a little more. Most of these featured games on here are really nice and have excellent art to them.. Some of them have intros that are way to long and to much reading. Got to remember some of us... mainly me have a really short attention span... :P
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: Awsome.

Post by Commodore »

shawnwilson wrote:I found a zzt song program with a keyboard and such that saves it to a brd file. This thing is perfect for me. I happen to play a little keyboards in my day so the best part of my games will be the music. Sad I know.
not at all. looking forward to the tunes.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Seriously? I can never come up with good sound effects. I mean, I have music that sounds good in my head but then I get blank page syndrome and I can never seem to think of which notes go in which order. I've considered humming into a microphone but I never get around to it.

So I just type random notes and take out the most obviously horrid ones. Looking forward to a game with good music!
I'm nupanick.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Yea I was a lead singer in a local type band awhile back until they split up. That was the most fun in my life. After we broke up I couldn't stop my love for music so I taught myself keyboards and worked with a few other musicians in my area.

Man i am trying to make this mini boss. Everything works but he shoots shots when hes aligned with player you have to shoot 2 or 3 shots to hit him. So far he can take 3 shots. He continues to follow you around, shooting at you. Is the max room shots also count for the objects in the room that can shoot? I dunno until i can fix this its kinda a shootout between the two. No point trying to dodge and shoot at him because every time you line up with him he shoots a bullet. Anyway if you all have a better way i can do this let me know. I want the mini boss to take longer between shots. or whatever. I dunno. Ill figure it out anyway.... If its just a cycle issue I will find out. I am experimenting with this now. I want it so Each shot the mini boss takes makes him move faster and shoot faster. I know I didn't explain this well.

#Mini Boss
:Loop
#Cycle 4
#If not contact seek.
#If aligned #Shoot seek.
#Loop
#End
:shot
"I barely felt that!"
#Zap shoot
:loop
#Cycle 3
#If not contact seek
#If aligned #shoot seek
#Loop
#End
shoot:
#Zap shoot
#cycle 2
#If not contact seek
#If aligned #Shoot seek
#Loop
End
Then of course one more after that with #Die added. Like I said it all works but he shoots to quick and I want to slow the shots down but still have him follow you at the same speed. Maybe 1 out of the 2 times he is aligned he shoots at you. I dunno i am gonna experiment. If you all know a better way let me know plz.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

I'm not sure if that code does what you meant it to do... mind if I offer a suggestion? I fixed basic syntax errors and restructured the loop slightly, but I think this might be more what you're trying to do.

I also "commented" my "functions" although I know neither of those really applies to ZZT-OOP.

Code: Select all

@Mini Boss
#Cycle 4
#loop

'standard actions taken after object is shot but before reentering main loop.
:shot2
"I barely felt that!"
#zap shot
'continue to loop

'main loop, shoots when lined up with player.
#If not contact #go seek
#If aligned #shoot seek
#Loop
#End

'each time object is shot, it speeds up.
#Cycle 3
#shot2
#cycle 2
#shot2

#end
I'm nupanick.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

yes bullets count towards the 150 object limit, so if you have a lot of objects, or a lot of bullets, the bullets might act funky or not work at all.

and you want #zap shot not #zap shoot
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

fun fact: "aligned" is spelt wrongly in zzt code, you have to spell it "alligned". tim sweeney was plainly a cs major, not an english major
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

appreciate
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Bosses! :keen:

Good luck on your upcoming game. If you'd like someone to beta-test it before you release it, I would.
My waste is my weapon.
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

Zenith Nadir wrote:fun fact: "aligned" is spelt wrongly in zzt code, you have to spell it "alligned". tim sweeney was plainly a cs major, not an english major
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo