Help a noob?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

shawnwilson
newcomer

Help a noob?

Post by shawnwilson »

First all what up? I am new around here. Is the forums dead? Also dumb question. I don't understand how to make a character automatically move from the title screen to the next level. So they don't appear/start in the title screen. I tried searching forums and looking in the help files. I think i can figure the rest out for myself. I am really not sure how to do this... Also how do you make player invisible in the title screen.

Any info on this would be nice thank you. If not all my games I try to make will start the player in the title screen and work from there :P.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

The game starts on the board you save in. So if you want the game to start on a certain board, go to it and save.

The player only appear on the title screen on the editor, if that's not the case, you have multiple player clones on the screen. KILL THEM ALL! The original player should turn into a "monitor", a char 32 which is a space, when you exit back to the title screen.

The forum is quite alive. The forum.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

the forum has attained sentience.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
shawnwilson
newcomer

Tank u...

Post by shawnwilson »

Yea i was playing around with it some more today. Glad to see you all didn't flame me bad for dumb question... i got another one by the way. How come it seems that the multiple choice doesn't work for objects that are not smileys? I got it to work for an object that was a smiley. i wanted to make a window or a doorway that could be opened if you answered the right question. Also i would like to say that the newbie guide and all other programs on this site are very useful. I found it more useful then the in game help itself. Anyway right now I am just working on a test game. Just to see if i can program anything at all. I am by all accounts a noob. I don't want to waste peoples time with dumb questions i can find out for myself but this ones got me stumped....
shawnwilson
newcomer

Post by shawnwilson »

Oh wait never mind i figured it out. I don't know what i was doing wrong. It is working now...
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Feel free to ask questions! We don't get that many newcomers, so it's not a big deal.
shawnwilson
newcomer

Thank you.

Post by shawnwilson »

So far so good. I am still learning the basics and I appreciate everyone's willingness to pitch in. Even though ZZT is older to me it is a classic. I have not taken interest in this program for years and it is nice to see that people have come so far with it. I fully intend to download and play other peoples games. I hope to someday release some games of my own. I'm so new its gonna take me awhile to learn the ins and outs and the insiders secrets.

All the files on this website are a great help. I remember trying to figure out how to use the stk toolkit for the first time and getting nowhere. Checked the newby guide and what do you know all of it is simpler then I thought. I'm just glad to see that people won't let the good free programs go extinct. Also the zzt encyclopedia files are a monster help. I have not looked to deeply into these because I am grinding out all the basics like I said.

Although I can say I have learned a from this site. I enjoy expressing my own creativity into things and zzt seems to be a perfect outlet for me. Even though modern games excel in graphics zzt still has some really good game play / puzzle style play. Blah blah blah. Anyway i am developing a minor test game and I can say without this website i wouldnt have gotten as far as i have so far. 2 boards and some scripts that work! sometimes the simplest things like spaces and such mess me up. Although i will play other peoples games, I promise not to look into there scripting unless offered to me personally. Even if I did I think i would be baffled. Anything I create i want to be as original as possible.
I would love to have a game done real quick but i feel if I rush it i wont give this community the quality they deserve.

One more question while I am at it. Even though I am asking this way ahead of time... When you upload games to your website is there rules such as no swearing or adult humor? It would be a nice thing to know so if I must I keep the games clean.

Anyway if you don't know by know I like to babble on a lot. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I hope to play some of your games when i can. i will review them if i can. i want to be an active member when i can.... I am a geek sometimes. Zaphod Who is this guy?
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

There are no filters for cursing or violence or sex or anything, but if you make the whole game something like "You shoot the fuckin alien's goddamn shit fuck pissin' head off and fuckin fuck it with your fucking FuckRifle until it shits all over the fuck shit dick fuck ass shit floor and your fucking face" then we might just laugh at it for all the wrong reasons.

Zaphod is the owner of belsambar.net but more importantly he's a figurehead of all that was lame in the ZZT community for a long while. A LONG while.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: Thank you.

Post by Commodore »

shawnwilson wrote:Also the zzt encyclopedia files are a monster help.
they are essential, it's good that you have found them.
shawnwilson wrote:I promise not to look into there scripting unless offered to me personally.
getting better is about playing other people's games and figuring out how they did some neat effect or clever trick. its understood that when you upload a game, people are going to be digging around it with the editor.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
shawnwilson
newcomer

Ok

Post by shawnwilson »

I figured people looked through other games scripting. I was not sure about how people felt about that. I figured i take the safer stance.
:icannotcontrol: what a cutie :P
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Re: Thank you.

Post by InfoSponge »

shawnwilson wrote:When you upload games to your website is there rules such as no swearing or adult humor? It would be a nice thing to know so if I must I keep the games clean.

Heh.

ah, that's good.
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Z2 is a soviet satellite turned tax paradise. There is no censorship and we endorse public ownership of antiballistic weaponry.
Last edited by RobertP on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My waste is my weapon.
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

also, if it's not vulgar or stupid in some way people probably won't play it much :adomisfreewareyoudontneedacrackorserialnumbertopl
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Not true! Burger Joint and ESP were both moderately clean, yet they're arguably a couple of the best ZZT games ever.
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

zamros wrote: Zaphod is the owner of belsambar.net but more importantly he's a figurehead of all that was lame in the ZZT community for a long while. A LONG while.
are you fucking serious

oh my god