Nanogame Contest Planning Poll (timeframe and nominations)

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

What format of contest would you prefer for a nanogame-making contest?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:42 pm

BKZZT (half an hour)
22%
24HOZZT (one day)
33%
WOZZT (two days)
22%
Other (state in post)
22%

Total votes: 9

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Nanogame Contest Planning Poll (timeframe and nominations)

Post by Scribbit »

So, some folks thought a nanogame making contest would be fun, but since the last one bombed I'm using one of the more traditional ZZT contest formats I learned from the wiki. But, I have no clue which is appropriate for a nanogame-based contest, so I'm asking you all which one makes the most sense. To recap on what a nanogame is, it's a ZZT game with everything on one board. This means you must play on the title screen.

So, uh, vote on a format and nominate someone to judge, because I'll probably end up hosting this thing. I'm not sure who traditionally picks the theme, so I'd like pointers on that, too. I don't have my own IRC channel yet, but if you want this to be chat-based I'll go learn how to make one.

And if you think you know how to host a contest better than I do, PLEASE say so, I have about NO experience here.

(I'm limiting this poll's length because I'm naive enough to try to keep a deadline).
I'm nupanick.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

I think a BKZZT would be appropriate, considering the participants would only make a short, one-board game. If it were any longer people would probably finish it within a much shorter time than is given.

To make an IRC channel, join an empty, unregistered channel and type in [/b]/msg ChanServ register #<channel> <password> <description>[/b]. So when you type it, it might look like /msg ChanServ register #nupanick yourpassword the official nanogame IRC channel.
kkriegg
newcomer

Post by kkriegg »

I'm guessing the idea would be to make a GOOD or INTERESTING nanogame. I couldn't imagine that happening in half an hour. I'd say a weekend at most, 24 hours at least.

And post the deadline/channel here first. I havn't been on IRC in centuries.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

For time, I just found out I won't be home this weekend, it'll have to be before then. How about on thursday, the 14th?

Oh, and for channel, I've been expirimenting with a Meebo box. It's simple, just an embeddable chat window. I embedded it on my blog that nobody reads if you want to look at it. IRC might work better, but this is simple enough that I at least know how to work it without managing to disconnect myself and end up on the wrong server.

Yes, I will pick a theme then, and the goal will be to make one board pertaining to that theme, but I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea to have judges nominated. I could judge, since I'm not entering anyway, (to be fair) but I think there should be someone else judging. Who would YOU have judge your game? Besides you, of course. Judges will ideally be people who aren't entering their own games.
I'm nupanick.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

24 hours give you time to actually think something up.

BK's are usually awful and you win by making the judge laugh by putting spiders on keyboards or something.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

Dr. Dos wrote:24 hours give you time to actually think something up.

BK's are usually awful and you win by making the judge laugh by putting spiders on keyboards or something.
Or starting before the contest starts I guess.
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

6 hours. I vote for 6 hours.

Oh, i can also judge games for Graphics, Music, Sounds and Engine. Except my own game though.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

How about we set our time in decidays, just for the heck of it? 2 decidays is 4 hours and 48 minutes, and I always thought it would be fun to use a metric clock for something.

Edit: that's a bad idea.

Edit 2: how about 5 hours, 5 categories, 2 themes, and everyone picks their two favorites besides their own for each category?
I'm nupanick.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

it really should be 24 hours. think about all of the poor non-US ZZTers you are excluding that might be asleep during your 5 hour competition! since it's only one board you probably don't need to worry about someone who is going to take the time to spend 12 hours working on it compared to someone who only wants to spend 1.

it's just my 2 cents :keen:
kkriegg
newcomer

Post by kkriegg »

Nupanick wrote:How about we set our time in decidays, just for the heck of it? 2 decidays is 4 hours and 48 minutes, and I always thought it would be fun to use a metric clock for something.
Yeah. You'd like that, wouldn't you, comrade?
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

nps wrote:it really should be 24 hours. think about all of the poor non-US ZZTers you are excluding that might be asleep during your 5 hour competition! since it's only one board you probably don't need to worry about someone who is going to take the time to spend 12 hours working on it compared to someone who only wants to spend 1.

it's just my 2 cents :keen:
I agree -- although I'm in the US, my schedule is unpredictable enough that having a whole 24 hour period would be really nice.

Nupanick wrote:how about 5 hours, 5 categories, 2 themes, and everyone picks their two favorites besides their own for each category?
Interesting idea! But what's the difference between categories and themes?

P.S. I'll try to participate!
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

A theme is something you use as a starting point for your game, to get ideas. Themes might be things like "alien invasion" or "pickles" or junk like that.

Categories are different. They are what the judges use to determine the winner. "Most thematic" and "Cleverest Engine" are judging categories.

I thought about the concept of having some of the categories revealed 30 minutes into the contest, but that's a bit complicated. I think having it be a full day thing is probably best for covering multiple time zones. How about having it run a whole day, so people can work whenever they want. Do we need a grace period?

Either way, at the start of the period I'll reveal 2 themes and 3 judging categories. Nice and simple. All the games will have to be one board in length (including the title screen) and I'll set up a countdown clock so there's no time confusion. I don't want to start registering a new IRC channel right now but I will post the information on My occasionally-updated blog because I've got nothing better to do with it right now than use it as a place to stuff embedded HTML.

And, I've finished dithering. The contest will start (and the themes and categories will be revealed) at Midnight today (GMT). This means that I will be awake to set things going, because in EST that means I will have to have the themes ready by 8 PM in my time. I'll post it on my blog-like-page then, and we can get started.

Oh, and one more thing, I've decided to have an "everybody judges" thing. After all the games are submitted, everyone should submit a ballot ranking their favorite 3 games (besides their own) for each category. I may add one "bonus" category to the ballot when judging starts, so you won't necessarily know everything you're being judged on. I promise not to make it something stupid.

So, categories are released in just under 8 hours! KevEdit and ZZTAE are allowed! Everyone ready or do I need to make last-minute changes?

Countdown clock (contest starts when there is 1 day left)
http://timeanddate.com/s/vt8
I'm nupanick.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

contest is started, for all of you watching this thread and not that one.
I'm nupanick.