Nonlinear RPG(ish) worlds?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

cacaro
newcomer

Nonlinear RPG(ish) worlds?

Post by cacaro »

Are there RPGs or Adventure/RPGs worlds allowing you freedom of movement/nonlinearity with the addition of sidequests to accomplish/minigames/side activities or whatever? Are there worlds where the choices you make have got actual consequences later in the game and/or affect your path throughout the game and your ending? (and maybe your interaction with NPCs too: be bad and kill people -> you become an outlaw and guards come after you, be good and help someone -> you become a hero). So what I'm looking for are RPG-like games with big to huge nonlinear worlds where you're able to make choices with consequences, the presence of multiple quests which may affect your reputation with NPCs, or any other element belonging to RPGs. I've already found something which may be similar to may request (Sivion), but since there are a lot of worlds with missing reviews, I'd like to know if someone is able to point me toward something which may look like what I'm looking for.

Thanks to anyone who's able to give suggestions even remotely connected to what I'm asking for.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

I'm just posting to see my new avatar
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

you're going to have to make it. or play my game, though it doesn't quite match what you want.

but seriously non-linearity is difficult in zzt. i think Code Red still has the most endings in a zzt game, but there's nothing RPG-like about it. classically the best RPGs in zzt are Wartorn and Rhygar. And while there are a few endings in Wartorn, it's still pretty linear. Mercenary is all right, too... it changes the order you must complete things based on the first item you pick, but you still need to do everything. to get what you really want, you're going to have to make it.

Thug Life 2 does a pretty good job of giving you an entire city to screw around in, too, with optional stuff, but again... not an RPG.

zam: nice avatar
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
cacaro
newcomer

Post by cacaro »

I already played Code Red and I rate it as the best ZZT game I've ever played: wonderfully nonlinear, consequences responsive to player choices. Anyway, as you said, it's not quite a RPG.
you're going to have to make it.
That's what I had in mind some time ago, even if being able to program everything I'd need for a big nonlinear RPG would be a daunting task.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

NextGame 33 (by Madguy, the same person who wrote Wartorn) was inspired by Code Red... but he only finished two endings. I guess one reason why you don't see as many non-linear games is because it's a lot harder to make the content for all the storylines.