The Freeware Thread

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

I think Jumpman is pretty interesting. It's fun, though frustrating at times. (No relation to the old game called Jumpman.)

Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

That's fucking hideous.
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

Space Phallus

<embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.co ... ver=2.2.34" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=12190837&vid=4552370&lang=en-gb&intl=uk&thumbUrl=http%3A//us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/i/bcst/videosearch/7531/80771206.jpeg&embed=1"></embed>
Space Phallus is a fun shoot-em-up with a retro 8 bit theme. You control the disembodied head of a dog, and fight against hordes of evil space penises. Currently there is only one level, but this will be added to over the coming weeks and months. These is also an online scoreboard in the game, so everyone can compete to try and become the Worlds Biggest Phallus!
r
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

what the hell is this. it looks fun but also pretty gross and juvenile.

nps should play it though, he is browsing right now
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

hey, yeah, i will, thanks
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Oolite

Fly around a randomly generated universe, trading goods and blowing stuff up. It's a slightly improved clone of an old game called Elite, so if you've ever played that, you'll know what to expect.

It's a sandbox game. You can't win, but you get considerable freedom in how you can play: be a merchant, a pirate, a privateer, etc. The graphics are a bit bland, and the learning curve is a bit steep, but it's pretty fun once you get used to it.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i played that. i'm a huge fan of elite. the commodore version is pretty good and was the first I played (when I was too young to enjoy it), but I got ranked elite in the older dos one, not elite+, vga one (the controls seemed harder) the best way to kill ships was to equip a laser on the rear and run away from enemies.

oolite is good and I think the simple graphics do the original justice, but it's a bit slow for my taste. even with the jump drive it takes forever to get to planets since there's a lot more traffic than in the original and it won't let you turn it on when there are ships nearby.

I'm glad they kept the original controls though, unconventional by today's standards (no left or right turning, just rotate and climb or dive) they are pretty cool once you get the hang of it.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

check this out, by the maker of Bonesaw: Verge

it has no connection to that one rpg maker program from like ten years ago that had some kind of war or something with mzxers. it is short but awesome, uses a nice gameplay mechanic, i think it was made for a competiton and i hope he expands it

also i finally played spelunky, rules

Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

Zenith Nadir wrote:it has no connection to that one rpg maker program from like ten years ago that had some kind of war or something with mzxers.
i remember that thing, it was the most hilariously worthless program ever. there was no battle engine so you just lost hp randomly as you walked around.
r
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

what? that sounds awful.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

fun fact: rhygar 3 was slated to be made in verge

RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

i remember that thing, it was the most hilariously worthless program ever. there was no battle engine so you just lost hp randomly as you walked around.
That sounds like Gauntlet.

Edit: A plug for Covert Front, a puzzle/adventure game involving a spy in WWI. It's fun and it has an involving atmosphere. It's pretty easy, but there are a couple of twists.
http://www.covertfront.com/
My waste is my weapon.
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

Haha Verge... That should have been a long forgotten memory.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

http://qbasicstation.com/programs/games/mooncrsh.zip

MoonCrash is a neat game sort of like lunar lander but with controls and graphics more akin to asteroids. You have to take off from the earth, put the command module into a stable orbit, separate the landing module, land on the moon, then return to earth.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

I'm on the verge of having a nervous breakdown.