Quine in ZZT-OOP

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

wil
GABZABOOLZABBA

Quine in ZZT-OOP

Post by wil »

Man i wrote this big long thing about quines in ZZT-OOP and the different possible ways to create them, but the bitch didn't post it give error.

Here follows a synopsis:

1. An infinite number of psuedoquines can be generated because ZZT-OOP displays any line of text not preceded by special characters (!@#:').
These are dumb. Moving on:

2. Create a quine using # commands, :labels, and fudging a bit using spaces in front of #commands and :labels and not caring in the final quine whether there's a space in front of the #command.
Also kinda dumb, but the only hope for creating a quine that displays in a text box.

3. Create an object that is constantly duplicating, and have it create the quine by walking to spots on the board and using #char to assemble itself into the quine on the screen.
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but the fact that movement requires two characters per move (/x ?x) seems to preclude this.

4. Create a ZZT-OOP interpreter in ZZT-OOP, with a limited set of input parameters and commands, and have it use an upper and lower line as input a la janson's composer engine. Then have the execution robot assemble those lines via the quine algorhythm.
Easily the most reachable goal. I haven't written a ZZT-OOP interpreter but I've written a brainfuck interpreter in ZZT-OOP that could quine itself if I could write a small enough quine for it.

Attempt a quine. Tell us your results.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

a what
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

A quine is a code that is self-replicating.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

oh, right

i remember flimsy once made a bunch of objects that duplicated themselves in the exact same order over and over, until they ran out of space on the board

that was pretty cool! it was a long time ago though
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
JDMSonic
Ordinery

Post by JDMSonic »

Here's something that might be useful in Quine-land; has anyone ever hex-edited around to make an object pushable?
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I don't believe that that is possible. Whether or not a tile is pushable is dependent on the type of the tile; it isn't a property that an individual tile can be assigned (like color is). Pushability is intrinsic.
TTTPPP
Latest band news: "There are no news!"

Post by TTTPPP »

I wrote a bf executer in ZZT a few years ago, and then thought it would never be interesting to anyone, but it turns out someone else has done the same thing. Brilliant!

I can't remember the exact specifics of my engine, but there was roughly a register for each column on the board. Each column could contain an integer up to the number of rows minus about 5 or 6. The value of each register was the number of boulders in it. The bf program was entered as a row of tiles (breakable in different colours I think), and I think I used the 8 symbol varient of bf, though integer entry was pretty gay.

I'm not convinced by the argument for 3:
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but the fact that movement requires two characters per move (/x ?x) seems to preclude this.
but then again I've not tried writing one like this either. I don't think you can get the object to paste itself into the background anyway, so the whole walking around thing seems a bit redundant.

I would be happy with an object that changed char to each of the symbols in the program in order.
JDMSonic
Ordinery

Post by JDMSonic »

Possible solution to the movement dilemma: Use a sort of 'inward spiral' series of walks (:thud -> #walk ccw flow) so that they all naturally flow into place? or something?
Alexis Janson
wacky morning DJ

Post by Alexis Janson »

Zenith Nadir wrote:oh, right

i remember flimsy once made a bunch of objects that duplicated themselves in the exact same order over and over, untill they ran out of space on the board

that was pretty cool! it was a long time ago though
I ran into that again not too long ago, but I can't remember where. It is pretty cool, but it's not really a quine, and technically could be reduced to just two duplicators in a row. Duplicatin' around.
wil
GABZABOOLZABBA

Post by wil »

I have uploaded the bf interpreter i made... it's musical with bleeps and bloops. it's in uploaded. I lost news access in the switch to belsambar so i can add games to the archive but not announce it so I'm going to just leave everything sitting there for now.