Wow, ZZT is still here?!?! ASTOUNDING!

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

shmargin
Sir-Noobs-Alot
Location: Zenith Sucks, Zamros Sucks, Dr. DOS Sucks, Andos Sucks

Wow, ZZT is still here?!?! ASTOUNDING!

Post by shmargin »

Man....ZZT....I havent uttered those letters in that sequence in a pretty long time...

Anyways, its cool to see its still at least partially alive.

I remember, back when I was like 10 or around there, being 12 years ago or so, I tried programing some games in ZZT, and you know, they sucked. And my family had AOL, and AOL had like, a bunch of ZZT games and some forums about ZZT, so I put my games up for download there, and a bunch of people mocked me for making crappy games.

I dont know if it was any of you...But I was 10 or no older than 12, and trying to program stuff...So I think it was good for a first try.

Plus, I remember I put my name on the file to download the games, and my name, for the love of god, is Tom Sweeney, and people thought I was just trying to be a dumb ass and have a name like Tim Sweeney.

But its true you bastards, my name is Tom Sweeney damnit.

OK, I'm done, WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY ME!
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

hahah

that rules

welcome!
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

THE SAVIOUR HAS ARRIVED!
r
shmargin
Sir-Noobs-Alot

Post by shmargin »

Yes, tis true, I HAVE ARRIVED!

Yet I regret to inform you that in the 10+ years since I was bashed for sucking at ZZT programming, I havent gotten any better, and in fact, have forgotten the crappy ZZT-OOP skills I had back then. But I'm playing with ZZT right now, making monsters run in circles and kill my smiley, so, I'll release a game some time and let everyone mock me all over again.

Just dont mock me for saying my name is Tom Sweeney...I didnt care 10 years ago that people said my games sucked, just that they didnt beleive me about my name.

As you can see, I still hold a grudge against those damn AOLers...

My next game wont have the yellow border around the play area...that seemed to piss people off back then...How the hell was I supposed to know???
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

If you haven't played any of the games since the AOL days, I suggest you download KevEdit, it's a hell of a lot better than the built-in editor, and makes a lot of things MUCH easier (copy/paste, for instance.)

While you're at it, check out some of the games in the Featured Games section, and Pepper Bolette SE, which isn't but should be.
r
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

So write a review for it and get it uploaded, ass!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

play my games

they rule
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

ahahaha tom sweeney

that story rocks
this is a deep and meaningful quote
Hayabusa
The destructor

Post by Hayabusa »

The key is trying stuff. Try and try and ask. Everyone here is very knowledgeable and will usually help you. But, try. And if you come up with something cool, it's best to write it down.
And.

MAKE BACK UPS OF YOUR GAMES AS YOU EDIT.
Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror - Hazuki Dojo
shmargin
Sir-Noobs-Alot

Post by shmargin »

Awsome, an external ZZT editor eh?

Right now I'm playing with ZZTs built in editor with the appearently old fashioned way of importing boards from the tool kits to get my colors and such.

I'd download the external editors to play with, but alas, the links here for them appear to not work for the download. I'm guessing due to the chaos appearently caused from Underdogs getting screwed up.

Didnt the Underdogs webmaster forget to renew the domain name a while back too and forced the URL change from something else to www.the-underdogs.org?

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have time to use the external editors before I worry about releasing anything, though the coding and stuff is coming back to me pretty fast. At this moment I'm testing my art skills in ZZT, trying to make an impressive title screen that may or may not get put into use.

I'm alot better at art and story direction than I was as a pre-teen, and I'm actually getting excited about the idea of getting back into this. My only main problem, that I had as a 12 year old and will most likely run into now, is the music.

I, A) Dont consider myself musically adept, and B) Dont know how to (or remember how to) write music (or blips and bleeps) for ZZT games, any tutorials or guides or even advice of any sort to the evil PC Speaker music writing for ZZT would be appreciated.

I've got a friend thats an amazing musician and composer, but I'm not sure if he would be up for the challenge of writing a tune that uses like what, 10 different tones? I'll harrass him about it though, if he could come up with anything half as good as what he writes for guitar and other instruments, it could come out sounding pretty impressive, even to the ZZT vets here possibly.

Anyways, back to my trial and error in this new ("new") and impressive world of ZZT.

You guys seem alot cooler than the AOL jerks.
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

personally i used zzt way back in the day, then i kinda stopped when i went to the community, and then i recently made a weekend of zzt game. so i was like, hey, i should use an external editor!

and i HATED it

i could never get the fucking color blocks i wanted with the whole background/foreground color thing, i kept pressing the wrong keys, and i just couldn't get the quirks out of my built-in editor habits.

i guess i'm just doomed to import/export. at least i can freakin' see what color i'm getting instead of playing some kind of retarded guessing game.

also no one uses zzt anymore
shmargin
Sir-Noobs-Alot

Post by shmargin »

Really? I'm using the KevEdit one right now, and i dont seem to be having a problem with the colors...seems pretty straight forward....

Might be due to my super genius though....wait...did I spell genius right?
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

compared to zamros, everyone's a super genius!
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
VinceP
&lt;3s you

Post by VinceP »

Thumbs up to Commodore for making the most amazing statement ever.

Actually you might not realize it but behind all of our cute and cuddly exterior, we are all gay furry transexual dickhead jerks.

No one really cares about music, so I wouldn't even worry about it. I don't even have a PC Speaker... At this age of ZZTing, I doubt anything really matters anymore actually. Just as long as it's fun.
shmargin
Sir-Noobs-Alot

Post by shmargin »

The gay transexual dickhead jerks is normal enough for the internet...but furrys? Do you really think you need to go as far as being a furry? I mean come on...

I mean...That chick cat from Thundercats might be considered kinda hot when youre like 8...but I mean...You dont have to call yourselves furrys...