Another ZZT Challenge - Fractal Mazes

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

TTTPPP
Latest band news: "There are no news!"

Another ZZT Challenge - Fractal Mazes

Post by TTTPPP »

It's been a while since Wayne Kerr's challenges, but I think I've come up with another difficult one (inspired by the Blue Maze - also by Kerr).

The task is to make a fractal maze (google it and you should come across this one). I'm pretty certain that due to the infinite nature of the maze you can't make a perfect one, but can you make a maze that allows a depth of 5 say?

I've been trying to implement the following maze, but keep running out of board space:
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i like how WAYNE KERR has become flimsy's "officially recognised" name by a number of people now
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

much like gamemastr1
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I would participate but I'm stupid with these sorts of things :(
Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

I think i tried to DO this once

or thought about doing it and was too lazy

basically all you need is teleporters between the A and B nodes and the four paths which lead "off" the board, and walls that control whether the A or B node is connected to the paths, and also you need an object to make a record of the As and Bs gone into, that can then go back and read them off as you exit

like my turing machine but less complicated

here, i'll do it:

if you have any questions, consult the help file that comes with zzt
It seems unlikely that this deeply unsatisfactory situation will be resolved by a new attempt to answer the old question; instead, as has been suggested by some of the most thoughtful students, we should expect to find that some part of the conceptual landscape in which this problematic entity resides must be reconstructed before it will come into focus.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

Zenith Nadir wrote:i like how WAYNE KERR has become flimsy's "officially recognised" name by a number of people now
I DON'T

by the way flimsy that's awesome

you're awesome

:)
TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

I moved everything around, and battled with the number of transporters and objects I was allowed, but eventually made the following:
There's a playable version here with or without objects hidden away.
I'd be interested to see a harder fractal maze implemented (or a neater version of mine).
Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

Really none of this stuff needs to be on the same board except the record keeper and the sensors that sense when you enter a copy of the maze. The gates can be controlled on other boards from simple flags, and if you're allowed to use multiple boards you should be able to do it without any teleporters at all.
It seems unlikely that this deeply unsatisfactory situation will be resolved by a new attempt to answer the old question; instead, as has been suggested by some of the most thoughtful students, we should expect to find that some part of the conceptual landscape in which this problematic entity resides must be reconstructed before it will come into focus.
Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

maybe i will make one after all
ajc
Kill the stick men

Post by ajc »

what are the best examples of this you can get right now?
Currently working on: ZZTV 11.2 Channel Escape from the Burning Building - ON HOLD
Currently Playing: Burger Joint
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Wait. What? Fractal flip'it flop'a stick'n board linky shi'ta who?

It sounds cool but...y'all lost me at 'fractal'.
Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

hmmmm, no.

i won't make one.
TTTPPP

Post by TTTPPP »

Jur wrote:It sounds cool but...y'all lost me at 'fractal'.
I'm not sure of the exact definition, but I thought a fractal was a shape which contains smaller copies of the whole shape within it.
With the mazes above the maze contains 'smaller' copies of the whole maze. Instead of drawing the whole maze again the smaller copies have been represented with boxes.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

This might help with understanding fractals... An animation of a Koch curve, a simple fractal. It is constructed by taking a line and making a triangular peak in the center. This process turns the line into four line segments; the process is repeated for each of the segments.

Fractal mazes follow a similar pattern. You start off with a maze diagram like
the one TTTPPP posted. In each of the squares in the diagram you would insert a smaller copy of the maze. This would be repeated for the squares in the inserted mazes, and so on.