Book Reading Shit

You're a bunch of Philistines really, aren't you?

Moderator: superbowl shuffle

Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i only really read books with pictures outside of schoolwork, but it's better than only reading set texts, etc, i guess.

recently i've read;

The Mystery Play (Grant Morrison, Jon J Muth)
Kabuki (David Mack) (6 volumes)
Four Women (Sam Kieth)
Bone (Jeff Smith) (actually i read this a year ago, but i reread some the other night. i have the one volume edition which is like 1300 pages.)
Avant L'Incal (Alexandro Jodorowsky, Zoran Janjetov) (2 volumes)
Gold Digger (Fred Perry) (not exactly literature, but huge fun)
Stray Toasters (Bill Sienkiewicz)
Poison Elves: The Mulehide Years (Drew Hayes) (pretty badass and fun)

this is by no means a complete list. usually i keep quiet about these things around here because lol comics = superheroes

i got a copy of Locas by Jaime Hernandez for christmas, but it's a huge 700 page hardback and i'm vaguely intimidated by it.

i'm also writing an essay on the communication of ideology in Grant Morrison's 'The Invisibles' at the moment, which is pretty interesting. i recommend the invisibles (7 volumes) because it's pretty fucking insane.

(edited because i said 'paperback' where i meant to say 'hardback')
Last edited by Zenith Nadir on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

oh awesome you did get Poison Elves in the end

I only saw some of that, but damn did it rock.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

also i'm selling my hardback copy of hhgttg on ebay at the moment, because 1. it's four years since i read it, 2. godedrp has ruined that book for me forever

and animal farm is awesome, read it years ago

my opinion on 1984 is similar

there's a list i keep of real actual proper books i'm meaning to read, but i never seem to get around to it!

i REALLY ought to read naked lunch already.

Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

also also hi madtom :tie:

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

godedrp makes the part where zaphod is shot twice even better.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i like how i killed this thread with my deep and dark desires

i know the only other people around here who have anything to do with my retarded reading material of choice are stak (durr spider-man vs zangief lol) and homz (who isn't around here much anyway) but don't let me stop you discussing 'war and peace' or whatever

anyway last night i reread Goddess by Garth Ennis and Phil Winslade. the art is awesome. i like how a lot of the best comic books put out by DC are by british writers and artists :patriot: oops wrong flag

oops that emoticon doesn't work anymore anyway

stupid flimsy

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Hey, now, I'm a fan of the comics (whoops i mean teh graphic novels). I don't have as deep a knowledge on the subject, granted, but doesn't owning the 6 Akira books, the Leauge of Extrodinary Gentleman book, the Dark Night Returns book, the Watchmen book, and a bunch of Thor comics count for something? :(
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
FSFunky
Fergalicious

Post by FSFunky »

I still want to check Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels out.
FUNKY DEFINITION: MAKE THEM BOYS GO LOCO
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

Commodore wrote:but doesn't owning the 6 Akira books, the Leauge of Extrodinary Gentleman book, the Dark Night Returns book, the Watchmen book, and a bunch of Thor comics count for something? :(
NO!!!!!!!!!! AND NOW YOU DIE

I ALONE AM BEST

i mean uhh ok i guess

considering i've read so much vertigo stuff, it's probably against the law for me to admit i never read watchmen. i've read from hell and v for vendetta though!!! i really should, though.

akira is good but too goddamn expensive. the only reason i have four of the trades is because i conned my parents into buying the first three for me for my last birthday. it is pretty good though, once you learn to keep up with what the hell is going on.

and funky sandman is great, but beware the colouring; the first five books have horrible 80's colouring which i hate and i feel it undermimes the otherwise good artwork, but it gets better towards the end (9 and 10 are awesome). also the first book has an ill-advised attempt at crossing over with the DC universe where they try to stick the JLA and arkham asylum into the comic. i suppose they get away with it since the endless are all supposed to be dimension-travelling personifications of their namesakes etc, but it still bothered me a bit.

also i personally think neil gaiman's best comics works are signal to noise and mr. punch (both with dave mckean) rather than sandman. but that's personal opinion.

don't let my relentless negativity put you off though, it's mostly all good stuff! read away.

Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I read the Sonic the Hedgehog comics when I was a pre-teen (coincidentally, so have the vast majority of furries). Other than that though I've never read any comics, with the exception of some manga.

The only manga that I really ever read nowadays is Battle Royale. It's quite good, but I wouldn't recomend it to everyone. The violence and the sex factor in it can get pretty bad.

Now that I think about it, it's funny that I don't watch anime anymore. I never really made a conscious decision not to, I just grew out of it I suppose. That and many anime shows are quite dumb. Although my favorite artists and writters are still mostly Japanese or Korean-Japanese.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I still have my Sonic the Hedgehog comics.

They will be with me until the day I die and are probably the only things that remain from my childhood that i didn't even attempt to sell.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
nuero
███▄ ▀█ââ€

Post by nuero »

I've only seen the Battle Royale movie! Ando, you should watch it but it's BANNED FROM AMERICA because teens being violent is BAD!

I bought the first volume of Bone tonight and I started reading it! I DUNNO also I bought the fifth volume of Negima! (cue Nadir making fun of me for reading Akamatsu stuff)

Also I'm still reading On the Road because it's boring!
Zack: Preppy, charming and totally gorgeous! Zach is a schemer who would rather stay up all night figuring how to get out of an exam than studying for it!

Slater: The All-American athlete with dimples to die for! Captain of Bayside's football team, Slater is a chauvinist who -- believe it or not -- has an emotional side. What a combo!

Screech: Class clown and electronic genius! When Screech turns on the power, the fun never stops!
nuero
███▄ ▀█ââ€

Post by nuero »

Bone was pretty great. I don't really want that giant book so I guess maybe Scholastic is re-releasing the entire series.

So I'll buy it.
Zack: Preppy, charming and totally gorgeous! Zach is a schemer who would rather stay up all night figuring how to get out of an exam than studying for it!

Slater: The All-American athlete with dimples to die for! Captain of Bayside's football team, Slater is a chauvinist who -- believe it or not -- has an emotional side. What a combo!

Screech: Class clown and electronic genius! When Screech turns on the power, the fun never stops!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

lol ken akamatsu

the best anime is metropolis. everyone should see that even if they think they hate anime forever.

and yes, they are reprinting all of bone, i think they're putting out one every six months. i already own the series twice (i'm selling the b/w nine book set on ebay along with the aforementioned hhgttg book and a bunch of other stuff, and i have the big one because it was pretty cheap considering its hugeness) so i'm not buying it again! it really gets going in the third volume, the first two are just silly fun (albeit with some of what writers call foreshadowing).

and my exposure to the sonic the hedgehog comic extends to reading it a couple of times in newsagents without paying for it and one time i saw the cartoon because it was being run in place of the other sonic cartoon with SCRATCH AND GROUNDER. maybe that's why i'm such a failure as a furry fuckface, not enough jerking to sally acorn in my impressionable prepubescent years ;_;

MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

The series with Scratch and Grounder sucked mathematically inexpressible quantities of dick. I really liked the older series because as I recall it had a kind of a darker, epic feel to it ... as dark as a Saturday morning cartoon could be, I guess. I don't remember much about it because I was eight at the time.

Come to think of it I probably wouldn't mind seeing them again if I could get my hands on it on DVD or something. HMV runs sales where they give cartoon compilations like that away for like AUS$2.00.