Plastic

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

wil
GABZABOOLZABBA

Plastic

Post by wil »

Every time an external editor is made, there are things wanted in the editor that aren't developed. When I was making ZZT 4.x, these adn other concerns were repeated. Unable to retrofit existing ZZT code for all these changes, I have instead focused my efforts into aiding PapaBear in the development of a complete remake of ZZT from the ground up. We are calling this remake PLASTIC, and Release Candidate 1 is available for download <a href="http://plastic.daveanddave.net/">Here.</a>

A common issue with ZZT has been the limitations on various elements. 150, 101, 20000, ~350k, 10 (9 if it's locked), 32767, 6 (though one can't be 0 and the other always changes). Just by seeing the numbers, most of you will know immediately what I'm talking about. ZZT limits the number of stats per board, boards per world, the number of flags, the size of counters, and the number of counters. It has problems and runtime errors if things get too large. Games have been corrupted, and frustration has ensued.

The period of this frustration has ended. I am right now playing an 8 meg zzt file without problems. To be fair, the maximum size for a zzt file is 12 megs, with limits in the file format set at 64k per board and 255 boards per world. In the new plastic game file format, I have a playable world that tips the scales at just over 100 megs. It has 104 boards, with over a megabyte of information on each board. 107.5 megs in total. That should be enough to build some nice hefty games without the hassles of switching worlds.

For more information, download PLASTIC at http://plastic.daveanddave.net and give it a try for yourself. You'll see that there's a lot of good that has been done.

Rather than copy and paste what i've already said, if you have questions or concerns about PLASTIC give us a shout on the PLASTIC forums, or have a look at the concerns I have already addressed in the ZZT 4.0 thread. There's some information there on obsolete ZZT oddities and othersuch.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

I've just tried it, loading a few boards from Respite II. It's quite good, albeit a bit slow. I have a menu screen that uses a duplicator for player transport, and it doesn't seem to like some step in that process. There's also no sound, and the cursor has an odd habit of remaining flashing on the screen even during gameplay.

I'm a bit concerned that if and when projects like this are completed, the community's going to be divided as to whether they're a good thing or not.
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

madtom i dont think that will be a problem. nobody cares about that type of thing anymore

edit: nobody cqql cares about that type of thing anymore
Last edited by clecky on Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." Harry J. Anslinger, 1929
PapaBear
newcomer

Post by PapaBear »

OðinnTom wrote:I've just tried it, loading a few boards from Respite II. It's quite good, albeit a bit slow. I have a menu screen that uses a duplicator for player transport, and it doesn't seem to like some step in that process. There's also no sound, and the cursor has an odd habit of remaining flashing on the screen even during gameplay.

I'm a bit concerned that if and when projects like this are completed, the community's going to be divided as to whether they're a good thing or not.
Yeah, the ZZT translation code is not yet complete. I'd say it's about 80% there. Also I am in the process of moving over to simulated textmode. It seems that Win95/98 does not do well with the pure text console. Also I am looking into simulating the pc sound like KevEdit. Reason being is that only WinNT base operating systems support traditional beep. All things considered this should increase the performance on 95/98 machines.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Am I invisible, Clecky?

Post by Quantum P. »

Clecky wrote:nobody cares about that type of thing anymore
I care, and I'm concerned, too.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

you people are such conseratives with zzt.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

conserVatives! conserVatives! conserVatives! conserVatives!

Post by Quantum P. »

And proud of it!
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Quantum P, did you post a comment on <a href=http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/meta ... 1.htm>this site</a>.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
superbowl shuffle

That was a question.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Oof tracks people down on the internet.

Post by Quantum P. »

That was indeed me! How did you come across the comment?
superbowl shuffle

That is so amazing!

I was doing some research on chrome because I had to plan the aesthetics of a product that had absolutely no design yet. So I figured I would just choose a pretty metal. I dropped that class.
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

well, I've been playin in Plastic. I've decided that all my projects will be moved over to it. Save as exe is real nice, and right now the resolution is too sweet for your meat.. Like sweet and sour sauce on chicken. I've almost pretty much decided the last of ZZT I'll be making is in SuperZZT. Not to say I won't be using Kevedit / BMP2ZZT. Those 2 programs I still use frequently in organizing pictures. Things are lookin good with Plastic. hit F11 for full screen.

The only run-in I've had with Plastic loading ZZT worlds is the off-timing of idles in music #play and the edge of boards. Pretty much everything else I've noticed is mostly all systems go.. Oh yeah, and cheating.. Gotta have some of that love. Maybe.
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
PapaBear
newcomer

Post by PapaBear »

Hey! Things are still alive and kicking with Plastic!
I'm hoping this weekend to get together a LAN Multiplayer release.
Also WiL has uploaded a series of small games to help people learn about Plastic!
:whole:
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I took a look at the demos and Plastic does seem really amazing. I'll toy with it some more when the final thingy gets released.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

BAH

FAGS

the lot of you

fags!

in my day zzt games were one file with non stk colors! and they never took longer than 20 minutes!!!!! AND WE LIKED IT

fuck your plastic!!

FUCK YOUR SHIT you suck!

this shit is gay

:drussrox: :adomisfreewareyoudontneedacrackorserialnumbertopl :drussrox: