I need a little help.

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

DarkShadow
Yes.

I need a little help.

Post by DarkShadow »

Hey, everyone.

Basically I ran into a little problem. I was working on my RPG engine thingy, for another battle, when I noticed that I have the wrong color object for the enemy. Right now he's blue, when he's supposed to really be grey. I wanted to know if there's a way I can change his color back to grey, without having to type everything out again. I'm also running ZZT in windows 98, thankfully, so if anything I guess I can just copy and paste everything? But I wanted to know this because since I'll be running windows xp soon, I know that you can't do that anymore?

Thanks.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Well, I think the easiest thing would be to copy the code into a txt file with as many lines as possible at a time. Then you can paste it all at once into a new object. To copy you put zzt into a window (alt enter) and click on what I think is a sort of rectangle and drag the mouse to highlight an area of code. There are two other buttons for copy and paste.

Other than that, all I can think of is maybe doing some tricks with the title screen. But the first method should work well so I won't bother explaining this one which will most likely not work.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
My Liver Hurtz
All Hail

Post by My Liver Hurtz »

There's also external editors for this.

Open ZZTAE, load in your game and the board. Hover your cursor of your blue object, and press "g". Move your pattern location over to where your object is being shown, then press "c" to bring up the colour selector. Go to the colour you want, and press enter. The object in your pattern buffer should now be that colour. Press spacebar to replace your blue object with the new grey one you just modified - the code should still be there.
I did!--I did!--You're quicker than your friend... Now for a handful of guilders I happen to have a private and uncut performance of The Rape of the Sabine Women-or rather woman, or rather Alfred--. Get your skirt on, Alfred--
Will Sharber
What can be said now?

Post by Will Sharber »

Kevedit works just as well. Just go to the RPG engine board, highlight the desired object, press CTRL+T, go to color, click it, choose a color, click it, and breeeaaath.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

It's the dreaded Will Sharber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
superbowl shuffle

External editors have made you all softies.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
My Liver Hurtz
All Hail

Post by My Liver Hurtz »

I agree. I, quite truthfully, do not know how to use the normal ZZT Editor without conscious efforts to remember how to do things.

Meh.
I did!--I did!--You're quicker than your friend... Now for a handful of guilders I happen to have a private and uncut performance of The Rape of the Sabine Women-or rather woman, or rather Alfred--. Get your skirt on, Alfred--
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

I use all three rather heavily, for the following reasons:

ZZT: Suprisingly, the only one with mouse support. Makes drawing curved scenery much easier.
ZZTAE: Probably the all-around best for graphics.
Kevedit: Quick, and can write ASCII characters in an object that ZZTAE can't.

Using the Fade/Gradient tools, however, is for cowards who deserve nothing better than death.
r
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I use ZZTAE and Kev-edit just for copying and pasting.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

yeah, copy and paste is useful. I use kevedit for that, code, and editing stats. Otherwise I've got my own little toolkit I love very dearly.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
What can be said now?

Post by 519 »

I still use ZZT for everything.

The longest object I've ever transferred to a text file was the main operator/menu/randomizer/whatever of an battle engine I built a while back. That took a while.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

pussies

all of you
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
What can be said now?

Post by 718 »

If you press enter twice on the object, all the code will be copied to the thing, then with an extrenal editor you can change the oclour and repaste the obejct

it hink
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

IT HINK NO THANG
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
superbowl shuffle

When I came to zzt general I saw all these orange pages and I was like 'How nice.' But really it's just one guy.