Favorite Roguelike

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

What's your favorite Roguelike?

Rogue - Originals are always best.
21%
ADOM - Fuck you MadTom. <3
37%
Omega - Like ADOM, plus suck.
No votes
Nethack - I THINK the original Roguelike.
16%
Dungeon Crawl - Mix Nethack with Rogue. Add more colors.
No votes
Moria - Uhh...
No votes
MAG - The most rogue-like Roguelike ever.
5%
Tome - A slightly obscure ADOM-like game.
No votes
Khaos - A strange Roguelike made with BlitzBasic.
No votes
I hate all Roguelikes.
5%
Angband
16%

Total votes: 19

What can be said now?

Post by 46 »

Rogue I love Rogue, I'd love it more if it wasn't 100% luck that determined whether I'd be able to defeat the first troll I ran into, and that's more luck than usual.

Moria actually predates Hack by a couple of years, so it's probably the earliest among those listed. It's a lot like Angband in black and white.

Angband is pretty fun for the first ten hours then you get splatted by a measly orc and you start over araghahash, I don't have the patience.

ADOM is great fun if your idea of fun is playing a farmer and trying to stay alive in the small cave. Luckily, this is my idea of fun. As for trying to actually play the game see Angband.

Dungeon Crawl has nice level designs and neat darkness effects and it has the Abyss and you can be a damn ghoul. However I often get killed by a jackal as soon as I've started the game.

With all those gone the obvious choice to me is Nethack, the only game on the list that I can attribute 9 out of 10 deaths to myself as opposed to freaky dice rolls. It's the only one I've finished, too.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Commodore wrote:Ryan, rogue was the first non-text-adventure game(Namely Zork).
So Rogue doesn't use text, and its alternate name is Zork?
What can be said now?

Post by 136 »

phunk wrote:zzo if you want i can give you the source to my roguelike. it's in qbasic, so i'm sure you could use it for something
I got the file, it is not worth fixing. I alredy made a beter incomplete file, and I will make it more later. (If I dont make it more later, uve corse I will relese the sorce-code for free)
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

No, sorry ryan. Rogue uses text graphics like zzt. Zork is a text-adventure game (also known as interactive fiction)
You stand in front of an old white house. There is a mailbox here. Possible exits: N, S, E.
Then you'd type in commands like "Open Mailbox". The first game ever was called "Adventure" its was like that and the text was actually printed out on paper.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Oh. Okay. That first sentence was just hard to read.