ZZT Slim, and voice in ZZT?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

meldels
Ordinery

ZZT Slim, and voice in ZZT?

Post by meldels »

Would it be possible to make a version of ZZT that had only what I feel I would use? Would it replenish enough resources to be useful? If so how would I do something like this?

Is it possible to get anything that sound like a voice in ZZT(made out of notes possibly)? How do other games do it?
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Re: ZZT Slim, and voice in ZZT?

Post by Smilymzx »

meldels wrote:Would it be possible to make a version of ZZT that had only what I feel I would use? Would it replenish enough resources to be useful? If so how would I do something like this?

Is it possible to get anything that sound like a voice in ZZT(made out of notes possibly)? How do other games do it?
It is not possible unless you make your own version of Lyon or something for WAV/OGG files, But you have to make your own routines.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

meldels wrote:Would it be possible to make a version of ZZT that had only what I feel I would use? Would it replenish enough resources to be useful? If so how would I do something like this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "remove". Do you mean to remove it (whatever "it" may be) from the ZZT executable? Because that would break a lot of ZZT games. It's certainly possible to alter the executable via a hex editor, but I don't know how it's done, nor what's feasible. WiL made ZZT v4.0 with the aid of a hex editor, for example.
Do you mean to remove "it" from your ZZT world? Because you could simply not use "it", or remove all instances of "it" from someone else's ZZT world, if that's how you roll. There's no way to lock someone out of a ZZT world that hasn't already been cracked.
meldels wrote:Is it possible to get anything that sound like a voice in ZZT(made out of notes possibly)? How do other games do it?
As it stands now? No. The shortest interval of sound that ZZT can produce is a 32nd note, which is still too long to make anything resembling speech. MZX might have a method of playing audio files, but I don't actually know, since I've never used it.

I hope this helps somewhat. What exactly do you want to remove from ZZT that you don't think you'd use?
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

Thanks that's very helpful, and I just want a version of ZZT on my own, so I can carry it on a flashdrive or something and edit my worlds wherever, not for playing others' games, one thing I'd remove is the spinning arrow-gun enemy, I never plan to use it. And if it's possible, I would only do it if it would actually help on speed/space or something similar. And also I'd like to change the hud, make the game start automatically on Keyboard and Color as well as possibly going straight into edit mode. And possibly removing ability to use torch. Does ZZT have an IRC?