more people

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

A good classic style zzt game is Raiders of the Lost Gem. Koopo the Lemming is bitchin too.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Post by Scribbit »

I played You vs Stupidity 2, and it's a decent game but uses a custom font and is rather long. I like that, but I'm not sure it'd be a good game to include in a funpack for new players, and the AKparticle references lost me pretty quickly and gave me the same feeling some of the first games I played did: That there was some more complicated thing going on in this mess of references and that I didn't belong here.
I'm nupanick.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

jesus 2035
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Yeah, like that. Also, I finally played Frost, so I'm pretty sure I get "Fox tampons" and the Nadir is a graphix gawd ones. Also, when I started PortalZZT, at first I didn't know where to post it because the "Projects" board had text under it saying it was actually about Fungahhh. You guys are awesome and all, but imagine how many people gave up before I did and never joined z2. We should spread the word to potential ZZTers, but we should also be ready to welcome people who wander in here on their own.

Also, who thinks Burglar is worth including in the FunPack? I'm a little hesitant to include something that might offend some people, but there's probably a decent number of people that would play a game if they thought they were the bad guys and also it's a great puzzle game. My current thoughts on the FunPack are:

Aura
Burger Joint
Burglar/ESP
[Some classic style like Caves or City]
Chrono Wars I-X (I know the first few aren't that great and there's a couple others that come later but there should be a clear beginning and ending so as not to leave people in potentially endless suspense)
Frost? Or another art game?
Kudzu (or another "atmosphere" game)

And a new game designed specifically as an introduction to ZZT for all the people who want instructions. There'd be overviews of the gameplay, hints on making your own games, and links to z2. A little idealistic of me, but if I finish compiling the FunPack I could make a teaching game like that. I've shown people ZZT and have them have no clue how to shoot, how ricochets work, what torches are for, etc. I think that there should be a special introduction for people who don't intuitively mash buttons until something happens (or nerds like myself who read the readme and the status bar).

Also: what's "Trippy?" I used to think it meant "Terribly pointless and also no STK" but I've seen some exceptions to that definition.
I'm nupanick.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

If you don't want offensive games in the "funpack," be sure to include Teen Priest by Draco. Edible Vomit, by the same author is good too.

Also, add all of the featured games.

...My arrow keys have stopped working.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i really should rerelease frost 1 with a tampon-free rewrite
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

Obscure historical baggage and poop humour is now part of ZZT whether we like it or not. When I see a catalog of nonexistant games or references to people I don't know, it's kind of annoying, but whatever, these weren't made for me/you/us. (2000 games can hold a lot of injokes)

anyways, games

The Mercenary - fun nonlinear hack n' slash, and later on, a shooter. great bosses.

Death - a fun make-believe 1st person shooter, longer than Lebensraum and full of crazy stuff. the only problem is that if you shoot #cycle 3 enemies too quickly most of your shots won't register :(
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

yeah, _death_ is pretty crazy and sometimes genuinely creepy if a bit incoherent plot-wise, definitely recommended
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I think boulder xod would probably have some appeal to players unfamiliar with the gameplay mechanics of zzt, since it only involves moving.

now a little bit drunker now.
^5
:meow:
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, I just realized I never posted my proposed list of games for the funpack.

Aura
BoulderXod
Burger Joint
Evil Sorcerer's Party
Frost 1
Run-on
Town of ZZT

and a new game I'm making just for this purpose, which I'm calling "A New Player's Guide to ZZT" until I think of a better name. Today I dug it out and made the main menu.

I think this particular combination of games will be enough to give a feel for ZZT's gameplay, and I plan to refer to ZEOL and Syndrome in my guide, in the 'making your own games' section.

This compacted weapon can then be dropped out of areoposts onto unsuspecting gaming forums, where the residual curiosity may result in an increased rate of ZZTers.
I'm nupanick.
elninbo
newcomer

Post by elninbo »

well I'm here, so it must be working.
Where ever you go, there you are.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

just for curious, how'd you finds us?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
elninbo
newcomer

Post by elninbo »

was thinking of the game recently...googled zzt...and then actually found the magazine i had uploaded about 5 years ago. It's terribly embarrassing.
elninbo
newcomer

Post by elninbo »

this board is truly un-active
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

true!
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*