FWoZZT

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

My Liver Hurtz
All Hail

Post by My Liver Hurtz »

I agree, after Christmas would be a lot better.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

I thought mid-December was when finals were over and everyone was on Winter Break. I know you guys at least get Christmas itself off, and I"m sure you get a bunch of time around it, so don't tell me Winter Break is in January. :(

But hey, if I was anal about hosting it at the time I wanted and not interested in getting feedback to make this easiest for everyone, I would have announced the date already. Things like this are why there's a one month period where I basically just take input and ideas for new rules and stuff, think about it, and then make my big announcement of exactly how it will go down in the end. :D So if you guys really want early January, I can do that.
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
burstroc
replsd

Post by burstroc »

i might be able to host the website/files. i have an old homebuilt pc running linux hosting my website on my dsl. it makes a damn fine webpage server.

i don't know what kind of traffic it would take to host this, though. from the looks of it, we got a zzt file and maybe some text files in a zip, times 8 or so, times 40 or so. doesn't seem like a lot, really. lemme know if you're interested and i'll make you an account.

also if you host with me I FULLY EXPECT YOU TO RIG THE CONTEST IN MY FAVOR
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

I am so there. I still maintain that Slither's server is too piddly to handle hosting this on kjorteo.net, and MadTom won't let me have z2 hosting because he doesn't believe me. :(

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

Please don't make it too close to the DoZ, I want to get some [s]hot hot heat[/s] zzt action.

edit: look goddammit how do you do strikethrough this pisses me off
this is a deep and meaningful quote
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

the what

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

Day of Zeux, on December 26th.
this is a deep and meaningful quote
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Ohh, okay. Well, keep in mind this is not the actual date yet, but just as a proposal to see if everyone's cool with it, how does Friday, January 6, 2006 to Monday, January 9, 2006 sound?

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I'm sure I'll be free to dropout during that time.

Revvy is <s>the greatest</s> a stupidhead who can't use HTML!
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
My Liver Hurtz
All Hail

Post by My Liver Hurtz »

Sounds good to me!
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

OK, so, my big announcement is still set for November 13. That's less than two weeks away, now! So if anyone has any last-minute earth-shattering ideas, please speak up before this whole "information-gathering phase" is over.

I had a bunch of ideas on rules and stuff that I was intending to drop as a surprise when I made my announcement. It suddenly dawned on me that doing so would be totally counterproductive to the idea of going off feedback, though. So, I will share with you now, before it's too late! :keen:

These will be my new rules, unless I get overwhelming >:( feedback and/or really well-thought-out reasons why they're a bad idea. Most all of them are designed to curb or at least control the junk entry problem, when you see how they all work together.

* Three topics to choose from; two serious topics and one "joke" topic. They will all be scored and considered the same, so you can still make a junk entry out of a real topic, or if you're bold, try to make a legitimate game with the joke topic. The only real difference is that the joke topic is going to be something stupid that will probably be very hard to make a real game under.

* Infinite versions of the same game allowed (so "Crap I saved on the wrong board" syndrome isn't a problem,) and up to three different games allowed. This way, you can get a junk entry out of your system and then make a real game.

* During the first 24 hours of the contest, submissions will be totally closed. No entries will be allowed. At all. No exceptions. During the second 24 hours (hours 25 to 48, if you will,) entries will still technically be closed, but you could possibly talk me into taking your game if you give a really good excuse as to why I have to take it now (like if you're going to be out of town on the final day or something.) The final 24 hours will be totally open for submission, as per usual WoZ contests.

As junk entries are a problem in any WoZ, and MadTom's in particular had a real problem with 24HoZ-quality at best games, this is to encourage quality control and second thought. Congratulations on making your hilarious "KJORTEO SMELLS" junk entry in the first five minutes, but I'm not taking it for another two days, so go make a real game. If you finish your game early, make it longer. If you don't want to make more, then bug-test it or something. If you absolutely refuse to touch your game now that it's done, then hang onto it, make another one (see my second rule,) and submit them both when I let you.

--

So anyway, since no one seems to have any actual ideas for my information gathering, at least you can critique mine. I don't want there to be any drama when I suddenly make my announcement and expect you guys to play along with the rules and the date. (BTW, the date is still tentatively set for Jan. 6-9.)

Edit: Also, I still need two judges. Of course, I would still strongly prefer you compete if you have the time and ZZT know-how. I can judge this thing by myself if it comes to that. But...still.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
BoonoB
Hardcore Motherfucker

Post by BoonoB »

I possibly can judge - it actually seems like a good idea to me, considering the fact that I have the know-how, and a good sense of what makes a good game, but just never get around to making anything. MadTom will vouch for this.

I'd have entered, but I have a feeling I'm out of the country until the 9th exactly or something - I'll figure out the times and see if there's a problem.

EDIT: Nope! I ought to be back on the morning of the 9th, somewhere-in-america time.

EDIT: That is to say, there's no problem.
Last edited by BoonoB on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

I'm gonna see if I can take off work those days in advance and enter this time. If not, I'll try to fit it where I can (gaud, 10 to 7 blows chunks). I really hope this one is at least fun like the last one I've participated (or better)! *sigh* Y'all guys do whatcha can 'n shtuff.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I'll probably participate.

Also could you plz change the name of the contest to Winter WoZ or something? Because it wasn't like mine was a complete failure :(
burstroc
replsd

Post by burstroc »

jesus

you're going to ditch work for zzt?