Another external editor: frezed

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

zzo38
newcomer

Another external editor: frezed

Post by zzo38 »

The external editor being made to use with FreeZZT is called "frezed", and this external editor is for Linux rather than DOS. Many features are like ZZTQED (including numeric prefixes, mass mode, boardwalk mode, etc), although it is much faster (it loads (seemingly) instantly on my computer), and there are some differences (including the possibility to use mouse, and also SQL). Both standard ZZT worlds (world version -1) and FreeZZT extended worlds (world version -4) can be made with this. It is not yet complete; you can make other suggestions if wanted, and/or making your own changes. Discussion can be done on this thread and/or on the NNTP which has been set up for this purpose.

The source code and documentation can be found at: http://zzo38computer.org/fossil/freezzt.ui/dir?ci=tip&name=frezed
I have set up a NNTP to discuss ZZT and other stuff.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Re: Another external editor: frezed

Post by Smilymzx »

Can there enough for a Windows port of this after you are finished developing it? I do not have linux.

Also, Can you add support for:
CHR and PAL(Quantum P's TSR)/COM(Font Mania)/PLD(UPAL) Editing/Loading/Saving (can use SDL for this)
Blinking mode On/Off (BlinkX or Quantum P's TSR)
zzo38
newcomer

Re: Another external editor: frezed

Post by zzo38 »

Smilymzx wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:59 amCan there enough for a Windows port of this after you are finished developing it? I do not have linux.
I will not (I have no way to test it), although it is possible that someone else will be able to port it to Windows; I may accept such patches though. If I do not accept the patches for whatever reason, I would still be willing to include links to the Windows version in the documentation.

Alternatively, if you have Windows 10, you may try WSL; I don't know if it will work on WSL, but you can try.

Frezed is unlikely to work directly on Windows without WSL (it might work on Cygwin, although tat doesn't seem so likely to me either, it is more likely than working directly).
Also, Can you add support for:
CHR and PAL(Quantum P's TSR)/COM(Font Mania)/PLD(UPAL) Editing/Loading/Saving (can use SDL for this)
Blinking mode On/Off (BlinkX or Quantum P's TSR)
The display module already uses SDL to emulate a PC text mode. The ability to load/save/edit fonts and palettes is presumably independent from ZZT, although implementing those features of the PC text mode in the display module would be possible.

Currently I have no plans to add these features (the intention is to focus more on functionality rather than graphics), but may do so in future. However, it is not my intention to encourage use of these features.

Zookeeper says that a Font Mania file has the text "FONT MANIA" at offset 8 and the font data starts at offset 1442. (This information will be useful in case I do decide to implement it later, although I do not expect to.)
I have set up a NNTP to discuss ZZT and other stuff.