[ZZT Ultra] Feature Request List

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

[ZZT Ultra] Feature Request List

Post by Smilymzx »

This is a Request Thread, as well as a list of Unimplemented features for ZZT
Ultra as of version 1.0, The list may be updated anytime to reflect any features
needed by anyone.
  • Implement Octaves 0 and 1 for notes
    Alias for Octave: "On", where n = number 0-7
    Implement Direction "UNDER" (example use: a Megazeux-styled bomb engine)
    Command(s) for easily changing Scroll and Toast message color schemes
    Command(s) for adding Items (Counters) without Changing Defaults (an Example is adding Coins)
    Command for scrolling font characters "#SCRLCHAR Char Direction"
    Command to kill an object as an item, "#DIEITEM"
Appetite4
Official Clamp School Defender

About getting ZZT Ultra requests implemented

Post by Appetite4 »

With the release of the source code, I've started to wonder if these requests necessarily need to be something the author needs to "own."

Here's the dilemma. I figure that with the source now available, anyone can work on the project and implement their own features. But the gulf between programming languages and compiler availability (free versus not free) might not make this an easy undertaking.

After so many years, though, nothing targets "everything." No common language touches all mobile devices, and some languages work great only in some browsers.

Should ZZT Ultra become multi-platform? In a way that MegaZeux became, eventually? Don't misunderstand my original desire to write the code in ActionScript 3--ZZT Ultra does not need to be tied to that language forever.
Smilymzx

Re: [ZZT Ultra] Feature Request List

Post by Smilymzx »

I cannot do AS3 due to Adobe Licensing stuff and the expensiveness of having to use it (there is no permanent price)

The only way for sure is porting to a language like C or Javascript, making a cloudless edition to make it easier
Appetite4

Post by Appetite4 »

Wondering about what exactly the "Megazeux-styled bomb engine" implies when you can place an object under another one.

The way types, status elements, and "under-IDs" work in ZZT Ultra is more or less the same as classic ZZT: Only one status element per square. In the event that multiple stat-ed elements exist at a single square, weird problems develop like infinitely spawning enemies when they try to move, etc.

I suppose that you'd effectively have a "vertical stack" of status elements per square otherwise? It's a paradigm shift, although not a really big one. Just want to make sure I understand it correctly.
Smilymzx

Post by Smilymzx »

There are three layers in MZX:

-Main Board Layer
-Underlay Layer
-Overlay Layer

The Lit Bomb element is layed under the player in the Underlay, Then it kills the Bomb element that the under layer had AFTER the player goes off the layed bomb's coordinates, and becomes active by transferring the Lit Bomb element into the Main Board Layer.
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

you can do as3. flash mx 2004 was released free back in the day. even i made an animated fishie in it with a simple to use howto http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/661447 it moved and everything. It's not as interactive as the interactive fish in call of duty though, but I'm sure with practice, who knows?
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
Appetite4

Post by Appetite4 »

SmilyMZX, pretty much every wish of yours was granted:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3610&start=195
  • Implement Octaves 0 and 1 for notes - CHECK
  • Alias for Octave: "Onn", where n = number 0-7 - CHECK
  • Implement Direction "UNDER" (example use: a Megazeux-styled bomb engine) - CHECK
  • Command(s) for easily changing Scroll and Toast message color schemes - CHECK
  • Command(s) for adding Items (Counters) without Changing Defaults (an Example is adding Coins) - CHECK
  • Command for scrolling font characters "#SCRLCHAR Char Direction" - CHECK
  • Command to kill an object as an item, "#DIEITEM" - CHECK (I think; not fully sure about your meaning)