Kevedit and Linux/DosBox

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Commodore
fgsdfs

Kevedit and Linux/DosBox

Post by Commodore »

Does anyone have any experience with kevedit in linux? Is it possible to go to full screen? And how about getting the world test to open dosbox?

I tried to build it but couldn't figure out the steps, I used configure, then make, and it seemed to install, but I couldn't find the executable (linux noob problem I'm sure). I ended up installing the prebuilt binary for linux which works, but it is in a small window. Pressing alt enter changes the screen resolution of the desktop, but doesn't actually put the editor in full screen. I'm sure compiling the source is part of the solution.

The full screen issue is less important than the test issue.

I haven't gotten the dos version of kevedit working in dosbox. Maybe that would be a simpler fix. Has anyone done this? Otherwise all that's left is zztae in dosbox.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: Kevedit and Linux/DosBox

Post by Quantum P. »

*nervously raises hand*

Sorry for being several days late! My primary computer's fan is having issues, so I've been nomadic in my computer use.

Prior experience: I used Linux KevEdit years ago. I don't think I ever got DOSBox integration running, which didn't matter to me at the time because DOSBox was really slow on a Pentium II (I used DOSEMU instead). So I did all my world testing by manually starting up ZZT from the command line.

Did you type "sudo make install"? That allows you to run KevEdit by opening a terminal, typing kevedit, and pressing enter.

Current experience: Let me try to install KevEdit/DOSBox on Lubuntu in VirtualBox on a borrowed laptop...

1. Using my package manager, I installed DOSBox.
2. Downloaded KevEdit source.
3. ./configure complained about missing SDL files. I used my package manager again to install the development files for libsdl.
4. Tried ./configure again, success
5. Tried make, success
6. sudo make install
7. Opened a new terminal window, typed kevedit, and KevEdit ran. I saw the two problems you described (broken fullscreen, broken integrated DOSBox support).
8. Edited src/zlaunch/dosbox.c. I inserted a new line right before line 238. All I did was have it print the string commandline to stderr.
9. make
10. sudo make install
11. Ran KevEdit, hit alt+t, and suddenly DOSBox integration works! That makes no sense! My debug line shouldn't affect that at all!
12. Tried to diagnose the issue. This was a mix of sudo make uninstall, make clean, commenting out my debug line, make, sudo make install.
13. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get DOSBox integration to break again. I don't know how I fixed it.
14. Oh, and fullscreen support is still half-broken in the way you previously described.

My best guess on what's going on: There's something wrong with KevEdit's build/installation scripts. For some reason they're doing a partial job, and you have to run "make" twice or "sudo make install" twice in order to get the job done.

But I'm not sure, because I can't test the fix, because I can't get the problem to appear again! All I can say is that I did these things, and now it works for me, and I can't get it to stop working.

I hope this helps. Let me know where this gets you!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: Kevedit and Linux/DosBox

Post by Commodore »

I was able to build it, and got it to install and start, without integration, tried uninstall then did it again. Keeps complaining about the resources.o file. But after uninstall/reinstall kevedit won't run again. I need to delete the whole directory and start fresh.

Anyway, I got kevedit working in dosbox emulator; it's a little slow sometimes, but it'll work.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*