Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

Here are some problems/suggestions. Nothing fatal but I thought I'd list them:

* unloading fonts is screwy, have to restart to get the default font (reloading is ok though)

* some problems with writing text for objects in superzzt mode, since the limit's still at the larger normal ZZT mode. SZZT doesn't like lines longer than thirtysomething characters

* water is still selectable from the toolbar in SZZT mode, it's not really an issue, just a little misleading at first don't worry about it

* some kind of dragging command would be nice, like holding some key and clicking would allow one to drag the screen around

still four tons better than the internal editor

OH HEY ALSO THIS: if continuous drawing is on, you can draw straight lines AT ANY ANGLE by right clicking at point 1 (brings up the menu) and left clicking at point 2
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

that mr. oizo puppet has always been weird and creepy, ginger muffins.. flat beat was alright, but bobby can't dance is a better suited single.
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Interest check! (doesn't help that this editor is about 5+ years late anyway.)

I just picked this project up again to complete it. This will probably be the final version which includes some nice editing features that KevEdit has - like block copy/paste, etc.

Taking some last-minute requests, if any.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Make it open source?
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

Bug: The wrap around in the code editor doesn't work properly. It looks fine in the editor, but ingame it trucantes the line.

Requests: Resizability of the windows; Optional keyboard cursor control; A configuration files, so I can change some of the default settings (like blinking mode defaulting to on)
gingermuffins wrote:if continuous drawing is on, you can draw straight lines AT ANY ANGLE by right clicking at point 1 (brings up the menu) and left clicking at point 2
Glad to see you back here.
Last edited by Schroedingers Cat on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

I also second the request for open-sourceness

:keen:
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

the code editor for szzt should be narrower or have different margins. the text box is smaller in szzt so it limits the length a line code can be. also there is a smaller object limit in szzt.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Saxxon wrote:Interest check! (doesn't help that this editor is about 5+ years late anyway.)

I just picked this project up again to complete it. This will probably be the final version which includes some nice editing features that KevEdit has - like block copy/paste, etc.

Taking some last-minute requests, if any.
Welcome back, Saxxon.

Thank god that it's revived, Hopefully It will be done sooner or later!

As with the requests, Open source would be helpful and it will help someone continuing the project.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Smilymzx wrote:As with the requests, Open source would be helpful and it will help someone continuing the project.
quoting the first request this person has ever made that wasn't horrible and/or useless.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

flip or mirror an entire board or selection. this is very tedious to do manually, and automation would be useful for setting up stuff like say a symmetrical complex comprised of several boards.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

or an option to flip the clipboard contents.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Could you remove the test world alert that says "use alt+tab at this time", at least the dos window version. I have an XP that adds the font on the second screen. When the alert part is up, the font goes to the configuration screen, which is right after the alert screen and the font becomes uninstalled on the main zzt screen. It works fine loading zzt by itself since the main screen is the second.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

As with the requests, Open source would be helpful and it will help someone continuing the project.
Open source... ehh, it's still VB6, and probably one of the last VB6 utilities I'll be finishing up before moving to .net. (yeah right) At any rate, while the code is relatively neat, anyone who didn't really know the inner workings of the editor and how the classes integrated with other parts of the project would be quite confused. (though I'd always be around for questions)
Could you remove the test world alert that says "use alt+tab at this time", at least the dos window version. I have an XP that adds the font on the second screen. When the alert part is up, the font goes to the configuration screen, which is right after the alert screen and the font becomes uninstalled on the main zzt screen. It works fine loading zzt by itself since the main screen is the second.
I think I'll just make this an option.
flip or mirror an entire board or selection. this is very tedious to do manually, and automation would be useful for setting up stuff like say a symmetrical complex comprised of several boards.
Sounds like fun. Yeah, this wouldn't be hard at all. If anything I could bundle it with the ability to mirror one half of the board to the other, too.
or an option to flip the clipboard contents.
Noted.
the code editor for szzt should be narrower or have different margins. the text box is smaller in szzt so it limits the length a line code can be. also there is a smaller object limit in szzt.
This is possible, but see if you can get some more info regarding the object limit if you could.
Bug: The wrap around in the code editor doesn't work properly. It looks fine in the editor, but ingame it trucantes the line.
Weird. I'll be looking into that.
Requests: Resizability of the windows; Optional keyboard cursor control; A configuration files, so I can change some of the default settings (like blinking mode defaulting to on)
If you meant like scaling the windows so the image would stretch... that would probably mean reprogramming the display engine. Right now it's using purely the windows API - no OpenGL or DirectX trickery. This could change, though. Might give OpenGL a shot sometime since it's a lot easier to deal with. As for optional keyboard control, do you mean the ability to turn it completely off? In its current state, keyboard edit is enabled (or should be). The options could be added to both the options menu and the configuration file easily.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I've just found that while it doesn't actually change the size of the ZZT world, changing all the stat-pointers to 0 saves a lot of space when zipped.

Unzipped / Zipped ("best" compression)

Code Red 1 without optimizations: 302kb / 68kb
Code Red 1 with Empty and Bind optimizations: 299kb / 68kb
Code Red 1 with Empty, Bind, and Pointer optimizations: 299kb / 61kb

Best of all, I haven't noticed any effects of the pointer optimization at all. It just simply fits better in a zip file. When this new version is finished, it should be interesting to see what kinds of test results come up when you guys give it a shot.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Additional follow-up (yeah, I'm spamming tonight)
Some new stuff I haven't filled you in on...

* When viewing on-screen objects, ones that have code will show in a different shade of orange so you can more easily find it amongst other objects that may be bound to it.
* Help has been integrated into the editor. I used Chronos30's help file set, but if anyone else that has any better files to contribute - drop me a line. The editor can directly use HLP formatted files.
* New ZZT Worlds can now be created by pressing N. New SuperZZT worlds can be created by pressing Shift+N.
* "About" moved into Help menu
* Optimizations can now be done on either only the current board or the entire world.
* New optimization: Pointer (explained above)
* Pressing H will bring up editor help (but it's not ZAP specific at this time)
* Text entry has been completely fixed
* Full block editing: cut/copy/paste/move and taking into consideration requests, flip-paste.
* Transporters that aren't cycle 2 now animate properly
* Scroll and star color cycling is now correct
* Added option to disable all animation

More to come...