ZZT in Euphoria

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

EuphoriaZZTer
Pikachu Power!

Post by EuphoriaZZTer »

Thank you for those links, and I'll certainly keep your thoughts in mind. I finally, FINALLY fixed the one super-annoying movement glitch, where if you held down a key for too long, then after you released it, and pressed another direction, it would go one space further, before going in the new direction. Man that was annoying. I'll do extensive tests later to make sure everything works properly. But for now, oh man. I was so angry at Euphoria for not having a perfect get_key() routine. And then, I realize that the way I implemented it was BOUND to cause errors, because of the way ZZT works. After... 2 days of working on the problem.

Funny enough, I had changed the way I did things originally to save space, as in "less coding" Turns out, it's less coding to do it the original way. Figures. I'm definitely going to keep up with this, and if it happens again, I'll be angry, but I'll live.

Also... I'll likely change this in the future... but the way my code is currently set up, it runs in a Windows "cmd" window. It DOES work, however, there will just be annoying graphical glitches caused by "cmd.exe". Which, in the long run, is why I'm going to move away from that eventually. That said, I like to code first, so it's not a top priority until I at least get a beta out =) I'll work on aesthetics later.

Ok... On to coding creatures.

Oh... and Saxxon. As a side note, I've looked through your source code. Looks daunting D=. I'll survive, though. It just tells me I'm not finished yet. Plus, your program can also do Super ZZT stuff. Mine will not. At least, not yet. Not until I get ZZT down pat.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

EuphoriaZZTer wrote:Thank you for those links, and I'll certainly keep your thoughts in mind. I finally, FINALLY fixed the one super-annoying movement glitch, where if you held down a key for too long, then after you released it, and pressed another direction, it would go one space further, before going in the new direction. Man that was annoying. I'll do extensive tests later to make sure everything works properly. But for now, oh man. I was so angry at Euphoria for not having a perfect get_key() routine. And then, I realize that the way I implemented it was BOUND to cause errors, because of the way ZZT works. After... 2 days of working on the problem.

Funny enough, I had changed the way I did things originally to save space, as in "less coding" Turns out, it's less coding to do it the original way. Figures. I'm definitely going to keep up with this, and if it happens again, I'll be angry, but I'll live.

Also... I'll likely change this in the future... but the way my code is currently set up, it runs in a Windows "cmd" window. It DOES work, however, there will just be annoying graphical glitches caused by "cmd.exe". Which, in the long run, is why I'm going to move away from that eventually. That said, I like to code first, so it's not a top priority until I at least get a beta out =) I'll work on aesthetics later.

Ok... On to coding creatures.

Oh... and Saxxon. As a side note, I've looked through your source code. Looks daunting D=. I'll survive, though. It just tells me I'm not finished yet. Plus, your program can also do Super ZZT stuff. Mine will not. At least, not yet. Not until I get ZZT down pat.
Daunting just means I haven't simplified the code enough :)

It's functional for now.

Good luck on your project!
EuphoriaZZTer
Pikachu Power!

Post by EuphoriaZZTer »

Thankoo! And as it turns out, before creatures, I need to fix messages. Once I get those fixed, I'll see what other fixes need to be made. I might just release a beta with everything I had working before getting it all lost, once I get to that point. Messages are almost fixed at this point.

Funny thing about messages, I thought it was random color values, but as it turns out, it's not random at all. It goes "backwards" through the colors starting from green. So, Green, Blue, White, Yellow, Purple, Red, Cyan. And I figured out it's three times that each color appears. Meaning it's actually 24 cycles it stays on the screen. =D Now, to implement it.

...And then after that I need to think about bed. =(
EuphoriaZZTer
Pikachu Power!

Post by EuphoriaZZTer »

Ok, messages fixed =D This means my "framework" works. Now I just have to code everything in. First, I may as well do passages, so it's possible to get to every board. Shouldn't be that hard. =)

Also, although it doesn't move EXACTLY like ZZT (I believe ZZT uses my method with a two keystroke buffer (In other words, mine is too fast =P)) it's close enough that I can work on other things. Again... coding before aesthetics.

As of yet, I haven't implemented cheating. I'll get to that when I need to =P

Passages, here I come!
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

ZZT 2.0 didn't even check buffer length so if your computer was set up with a fast repeat rate for held keys, you would be travelling in a direction for a long time..
EuphoriaZZTer
Pikachu Power!

Post by EuphoriaZZTer »

True. And that's what my original implementation did because I checked it just every so often. So the buffer filled up, and you'd keep going until it was empty. Now, mine checks constantly, ignores duplicates, and processes every NEW command sequentially per cycle.

What I mean is... If the user held right down, it only processes the command once per cycle, and ignore all others until the next cycle. If you happened to press right arrow four times, left twice and then Q, all before the time of one cycle, then on the first cycle you'd go right, then he next you'd go left, and last the quit message would pop up.

Fun, no?

Haven't been able to work on passages much, lately. Couldn't focus. Now, though, I should be able to.
EuphoriaZZTer
Pikachu Power!

Post by EuphoriaZZTer »

Passages work! And as for the tile bug, It's buggy. xD I'll make it work like ZZT if it becomes a nuisance. For now, I'm ready to get Pushers (sliders and boulders, too) to work as expected, and then I may release an alpha. =D I'll release source and "compiled" C code.

Euphoria is an interpreted language, so the source IS the code, much like BASIC. But, I'm also releasing a compiled version, simply because ZZT is compiled =P

As a note, all code will be released as Open Source. You can do as you like with it, no strings attached. I'm just doing this as a hobby, anyway.