Some words...

..................WTF?! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IS "XRUMER"?!

Moderator: Quantum P.

Appetite4
Official Clamp School Defender

Re: Some words...

Post by Appetite4 »

Have to say I'm pleased the way rifts seem to be healing, for the most part.

In recent years, I've started to analyze why hatred seems to blow up so easily in pitched online forum battles. Maybe the formula isn't exactly right, but I think it boils down to this:
  • 30% Lack of Mature Role Models
  • 20% Lack of Respect Given to Self in Real World
  • 20% Lack of Experience in Real World (usu. Age-Related)
  • 15% Actual Experience with Persecution
  • 15% Speech Impediment or Other Real-Life Handicap
Is it any wonder why forums tend to get out of control? When you meet someone in person, you have a chance to gauge all of this.

But online, you might never know any of it. It has the consequence of preventing understanding and possibly empathy.
nuero
███▄ ▀█ââ€

Post by nuero »

Last edited by nuero on Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

Ando wrote:Blank.
this seemed longer the first time i looked at it
Verasev
newcomer

Post by Verasev »

It's Seventh Shade. So other than this, what's been going on with you guys. Anyone else married? Anyone else die?
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

I started graduate school so it's like I'm dying in slow motion
Verasev
newcomer

Post by Verasev »

What subject?
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

Verasev wrote:Anyone else die?
just drac0 and flimsy that we know of.
zamros

Post by zamros »

Verasev wrote:What subject?
atmospheric science, specifically atmospheric chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation, specifically the influence of oxidized volatile organic compounds on atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Appetite4

Coincidence?

Post by Appetite4 »

zamros wrote:atmospheric science, specifically atmospheric chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation, specifically the influence of oxidized volatile organic compounds on atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation
Amazing coincidence! I have a degree in chemical engineering, and I just noticed that your degree might warrant the use of a Flame Ionization Meter at one point.

The coincidence is that ZZTBandit posted a Ghostbusters clip next...and in that movie, Bill Murray uses a REAL Flame Ionization Meter during the inspection of Dana's apartment. Although they probably called it something else.

So...is the moral of this story that you have to test for volatile gases before they can explode?

I love being random.
zamros

Re: Coincidence?

Post by zamros »

Appetite4 wrote: Amazing coincidence! I have a degree in chemical engineering, and I just noticed that your degree might warrant the use of a Flame Ionization Meter at one point.

The coincidence is that ZZTBandit posted a Ghostbusters clip next...and in that movie, Bill Murray uses a REAL Flame Ionization Meter during the inspection of Dana's apartment. Although they probably called it something else.

So...is the moral of this story that you have to test for volatile gases before they can explode?

I love being random.
The main instruments we're using are chemical ionization mass spectrometers (actually we just put in a proposal to buy a chemical ionization atmospheric pressure interface time of flight mass spectrometer), as well as particle size magnifiers and condensation particle counters. There *is* a busted up old GC-FID in the lab that my professor apparently found in the garbage that I'd like to fix up when I get a chance, but there is no time at all for that right now. What are you doing with chemical engineering, besides re-creating ZZT in Flash?
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Appetite4

Post by Appetite4 »

zamros wrote:What are you doing with chemical engineering, besides re-creating ZZT in Flash?
I have to say, of all the folks I've dealt with over my career...you guys are the best. So I believe you deserve a little honesty.
Frank_FontaineHQ.jpg
Frank_FontaineHQ.jpg (3.56 KiB) Viewed 13321 times
The name's Frank Fontaine.

Actually, I'm exactly who I say I am. I work for Siemens. When I'm not programming uber-technical stuff on their behalf, I'm having fun keeping the old skills current around here. It's always the challenge, to me. Not making loads of money.

We all hang out in the ZZT world because we care. I never stopped caring. Perhaps I'm just a nostalgic fool. Whatever the reason, the underworld has its merits.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

zamros wrote:
Verasev wrote:What subject?
atmospheric science, specifically atmospheric chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol chemistry, specifically atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation, specifically the influence of oxidized volatile organic compounds on atmospheric aerosol nucleation/formation
Wasn't your bachelor's degree in English? And I vaguely remember you saying that graduate school was for losers, but you might have been joking.

I have a Master's degree in Experimental Psychology that I got in 2010. I don't regret it, but if I had to live my life over again, I wouldn't have gone down that route.