Questions about Z2 community.

..................WTF?! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IS "XRUMER"?!

Moderator: Quantum P.

meldels
Ordinery

Questions about Z2 community.

Post by meldels »

So I've noticed that the z2 forums seem to consist of oldbies answering my dumb questions. Shirley Z2 wasn't always like this, or was it? And in that case when around would you say it disintegrated into this?

On another note: I'd also like to say I understand I could've googled some things I've been asking you such as where to learn Forth; however, currently I don't have a ton of time, and I figure rather than wasting time by looking up possible dead ends on Google, it would be much more efficient to ask you's as, if you know anything about the subject, you are probably more informed and I didn't have to search for it.

TL;DR: I'm using you, plz no angry.(not really) thanks.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Re: Questions about Z2 community.

Post by Saxxon »

I'm still here because I can't let ZZT go. I still have some tasks to carry out before I'm satisfied.

As for Forth, I've never used it..
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

Does that mean you'll be leaving when those are finished?
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Edit: nvm
Last edited by bitbot on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

I don't know exactly what you're trying to say but I'm not seeking attention. I've always wanted to come here since about seven years ago, but never had the right circumstances.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

meldels wrote:Does that mean you'll be leaving when those are finished?
Probably not. :)

I want to finish Lyon and Roton, and actually make one ZZT game.
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

Mind providing an explanation for those two names?
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

meldels wrote:Mind providing an explanation for those two names?
Tyger was started by Dr.Dos, he started writing a ZZT clone with some extra features I think. It's basically the word 'tiger'. Tigers in ZZT are basically lions with extra capabilities. So that's why I named my ZZT clone project Lyon, to play off his project's name. His project expands upon ZZT a bit whereas mine just replicates its functions exactly.

The library that Lyon is based off is called Roton, which is my favorite enemy in Super ZZT. Sadly, the Roton never made an appearance in the original ZZT engine.
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

That's pretty cool, is there a reason you're making a remake of ZZT? I mean, why not make something entirely original if you have the ability to remake ZZT? Not that I'm saying the project is bad.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

meldels wrote:That's pretty cool, is there a reason you're making a remake of ZZT? I mean, why not make something entirely original if you have the ability to remake ZZT? Not that I'm saying the project is bad.
ZZT was never fully understood. Sometimes results of actions were either unpredictable, or didn't make sense. I feel that in order to make full use of the limited capabilities of ZZT it would be necessary to see why it behaves the way it does.

I have been doing a lot of original programming, but it isn't related to making games. My primary interest is decrypting data from games and converting it into something otherwise usable. For example, if you are familiar with the Dance Dance Revolution or Beatmania games, I write software to manipulate the data on the home and arcade versions.

I don't really code games. I just like to find problems that I can solve and make code dance.
meldels
Ordinery

Post by meldels »

So may I ask, do you do that for fun, or do you have another reason behind it? It just seems a little un-fulfilling to do coding for the sake of coding, unless that IS why you're doing it. It's cool regardless.

EDIT: And if you're willing to share, would you mind saying, what your your ultimate goal (or goals) is (or are)? By goal I mean what do you want to achieve in your life?
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

meldels wrote:So may I ask, do you do that for fun, or do you have another reason behind it? It just seems a little un-fulfilling to do coding for the sake of coding, unless that IS why you're doing it. It's cool regardless.

EDIT: And if you're willing to share, would you mind saying, what your your ultimate goal (or goals) is (or are)? By goal I mean what do you want to achieve in your life?
I code for fun. I want to do it for a living. Got the skill, but not the formal education.

I've never really believed in life goals- it's way too long of a time span to nail down such a fast moving target. My goals change very rapidly based on what I've achieved and where I feel like going next. In short: I have none.