flags persisting through #endgame into playing again

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

H1~~
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

flags persisting through #endgame into playing again

Post by H1~~ »

Is it possible to glitch ZZT so that flags are not cleared when the game ends?

What in particular I'm thinking about doing is coding a .zzt game so that it has to be played 3 times to be completed, each previous time clearing all other flags and setting a flag at the end that the vast majority of objects etc. in the game are secretly programmed to check for and the story and outcome of events is different each time you play through it... without just implementing a 'password' system.

Maybe using a bogged #endgame command where you get health over 0 in the same frame, taking advantage of the "renamed .zzt world that coincides with another .zzt world that already has that same name" bug (ZZT Enyclopedia volume 3), or the more recently fabled 'board edges' ideas. Anything?
The Mysterious KM
newcomer

Re: flags persisting through #endgame into playing again

Post by The Mysterious KM »

It's not proper flags, but you can use a glitch in #CHANGE. See https://museumofzzt.com/file/w/WUAUTD.zip

Other than that, I'm not aware of any glitches that do this! Most of a ZZT world gets reset when you play it again.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Am I wrong or do title screen changes persist over a playthrough? Maybe that could be exploited.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
asie
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by asie »

For context, here's Lancer-X's method, relying on overwriting board edges (which persist throughout the execution of ZZT.EXE unless a new world is created): https://museumofzzt.com/file/s/SwapWorld.zip
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Commodore wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:22 am Am I wrong or do title screen changes persist over a playthrough? Maybe that could be exploited.
Alas that only persists until you hit "P" again.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.