Rebooting the ZZT wiki

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Rebooting the ZZT wiki

Post by Quantum P. »

Previously, we had a wiki named ZUltimate. It was less a wiki about ZZT itself and more a wiki for the community, and it eventually got shut down because people started reporting harassment over personal information it contained. That was back in... 2018. So it's been a while.

So I'm launching another wiki, one that's focused more on ZZT itself.

Just to set some expectations: at the time of writing, there are very few articles, and lots and lots of red links. And contributions will be held to a higher bar: that doesn't necessarily mean boringly academic and dry, but the direction I want to set is more "the ultimate ZZT reference guide" and less "here's something funny that someone said on IRC."

But as far as ultimate ZZT reference guides go, this is an excellent time to write one! We know a lot more about ZZT than we did a few years ago, the highlight being asie's Reconstruction of ZZT, a complete reverse-engineering of ZZT itself. And Dr. Dos has been doing some amazing work getting people interested in ZZT again, including stuff like running The Joy of ZZT to help people make ZZT games for the first time. I really want a solid ZZT reference for myself, and I imagine if I was brand new to ZZTing, I would want one even more.

So without further ado: The Wiki of ZZT. Read the guide for contributors if you want to pitch in.
soma
newcomer

Re: Rebooting the ZZT wiki

Post by soma »

This is a great idea! Will it eventually house editing tips and tricks using the different utilities? Just a thought.
-[ :touch me ]-
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: Rebooting the ZZT wiki

Post by Quantum P. »

As it grows, maybe!

It depends on the nature of the tips and tricks:
  • For involved discussions and other long-form content, it might make more sense to publish it as a guest article to the Museum of ZZT. For example, Dr. Dos wrote articles on how to set up KevEdit and Zeta, and a few different authors have written overviews of the (sometimes quite advanced!) programming techniques they themselves used. I think those articles are a great way to go deep on a topic.
  • For programming tricks that are already common knowledge among ZZTers, some of those may make sense as wiki articles. Maybe not necessarily in the sense of a tutorial, but a wiki article could give a comprehensive summary of the idea behind the trick, some example code if appropriate, and a link to a long-form article if one exists. After reading a wiki article on a complex topic, you might not know absolutely everything about that topic -- but that article ought to point you in the right direction to learn more.