I missed all this...

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

soma
newcomer

I missed all this...

Post by soma »

tl;dr I'm just rambling on about how much I loved playing ZZT as a kid.

I have been playing ZZT on/off since I was introduced to it in the early 2000s as a kid. I made my own worlds, but never really finished most of them nor uploaded them anywhere, and looking back on them now, that's probably for the best ^_^

I only today discovered KevEdit. I had used Super Toolkit back in ~2005 onwards, but had no idea KevEdit was a thing.
I already decided to start working on a brand new ZZT world with it in my free time. I'm only a few hours in on re-learning everything and I'm hooked all over again. ZZT was one of the biggest influences in my interest in becoming a game designer. I'm still to this day trying to learn more about game design and get better at it, but man....seeing ZZT again has really sparked nostalgia and fond memories of a simpler time for me.

When my dad first showed me his ZZT world, Fantasy, that landed him a job at EPIC and led to him working on Super ZZT and making Kiloblaster and Xargon, and then he showed me the world editor, I became immediately addicted. I used to spend hours every day after school playing ZZT and working on my worlds. I'll probably upload my one finished world here sometime soon, but I'll include a cringe warning because I was much younger when I made it and hoo boy is it bad at points. :D

Anywho, thanks for taking the time to read my useless monologue, I honestly hope to be active here as much as I can, I will do my best. 2021 is as good a time as any to get back into ZZT all over again. ♥

Some of my favorite ZZT Worlds to play (and I still have the same files for them from way back) were the Links Adventure series and Toxic Terminator. There was another world I loved that had a Doom-style aesthetic to it and the walls all used brownish gradients to give a really nice 3D effect, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.

I'll #give gems 9999 to anyone that can help me find it. ♦
-[ :touch me ]-
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: I missed all this...

Post by Quantum P. »

Welcome! Glad you could find ZZT after all these years :-)

Regarding the game that you're trying to remember: it wasn't Lebensraum, was it? It's not DOOM, but it is heavily inspired by Wolfenstein 3D, and it does have some boards where the walls have brown gradients with a sense of depth.

I don't know if you use Discord, but a lot of ZZTers are on this one. If you wanted to ask a wider audience about the game you remember, that wouldn't be a bad choice.
soma
newcomer

Re: I missed all this...

Post by soma »

Oh wow! It was Lebensraum! I can't believe it, that's the one! That world has been stuck in my head for years!

I also just joined the Discord. ^_^

Thank you for the help finding that world, and thanks for the discord link. It's good to be back.
-[ :touch me ]-