Diagonal shooting

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

emmzee
newcomer

Diagonal shooting

Post by emmzee »

I think I saw an object shooting diagonally on one of Dr Dos's streams recently but I can't recall where I saw that, nor can I figure out how it was done. Can someone enlighten me please, or did I imagine it? @_@

Thanks!
zzo38
newcomer

Re: Diagonal shooting

Post by zzo38 »

One way to do it would be to use an external editor (e.g. KevEdit or ZZTQED) to set an object's direction to a diagonal direction where there is a wall in the way, and then use #SHOOT CW FLOW to shoot a bullet. I don't know if this is the method they used, nor have I seen that stream.
I have set up a NNTP to discuss ZZT and other stuff.
emmzee
newcomer

Post by emmzee »

Ah okay, thanks! I didn't know what the X Step and Y Step properties do. It'll work for my purposes by putting water around 'em to keep 'em stationary.
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

Post by Zephyr »

Yep, this is how we did it! Be aware that if the object #walks any direction that is not flow, it will lose the ability to shoot diagonally (because flow is now not diagonal). But you can still use / or ? without affecting it.
zzo38
newcomer

Post by zzo38 »

emmzee wrote:I didn't know what the X Step and Y Step properties do.
X Step and Y Step set the direction. For all pieces in the ZZT built-in editor that you can set the direction, it is same meaning, but for the following pieces you can also set the direction:
  • BULLET: Direction of movement.
  • HEAD: Current direction of movement.
  • OBJECT: Direction of #WALK.
  • RUFFIAN: Current direction of movement.
The meaning of all stat parameters is documented in the ZZTQED manual. Setting direction for other pieces does not affect them, although they are still stored, and may be used to take advantage of a bug in ZZT; see my "ZZTPTT.ZZT" world for details of how to take advantage of this and other bugs in ZZT.
I have set up a NNTP to discuss ZZT and other stuff.