are the empties in ZZT char 32, rather than being char 0?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

H1~~
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

are the empties in ZZT char 32, rather than being char 0?

Post by H1~~ »

please help
I need it for a philosophically-oriented youtube playlist detailing how I wound up getting high off of assinging separate philosophical concepts into hexadecimal-oriented index values
in a, uh
model of the chakra system that did't follow the rules exactly when it comes to staying with long-established tradition?

7-chara system?
16-chakra system, split into 32 pairs!

*cough*
makin' a video diary entry and talkin' while I work
pls halp
ZZT came up

I need to know whether the empties are the 'space character' (32) instead of 0
ZZT is the reason I felt 'index 0' holds special significance-- a 'meta' quality where being #0 means it specifically represents the fact that is in a list of indexes-- and maybe #1 has a 'meta' quality of representing itself being itself as an index, but no further ones beyond 0 and 1, to make it symmetrical
I think I have bias
that sounds like artistic aesthetics in indexing-- on a hypothetical speculation-- do I have bias? I think I have bias

is it char zero or not, or is it something else, seriously, help me out here, details welcome
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Re: are the empties in ZZT char 32, rather than being char 0

Post by Smilymzx »

Empty is Char 0x20 (32 in Decimal), along with internal default Color 0x70 (112 in Decimal), according to ZZT.EXE (v3.2)

(Ignore the BackGround color, as it is unused in empties in ZZT)
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Thank you, sir.

Now if only I could figure out why KevEdit won't handle "colored empties"...
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

KevEdit definitely does. ZZT's drawing routine always forces them to appear as black on black, but you can #put a gem on an empty without specifying a color and it will take the empty's color.

I know the KE hosted on z2 is really old (but even that should have no problem). https://github.com/cknave/kevedit has the latest version. You can hit control+T on a tile to get element info which will show you what color the empty is. I know ZZTAE had a feature to display empties with a different character (like the small dot for char 250) which I thought eventually got added but I'm not seeing it in the help file. The Museum's Local File Viewer has the option to render the board with visible empties in the preferences tab as well if you're looking rather than editing.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Thank you sir!

I was a tad paranoid about KevEdit basically erasing colored empties and reverting them to default due to not handling them-- it may very well be a "out of date version" issue.