ZUltimate locked?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Commodore
fgsdfs

ZUltimate locked?

Post by Commodore »

The link to the wiki now wants a user name/password? Did I miss something?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
zamros
my power level is enormous

Re: ZUltimate locked?

Post by zamros »

ZUltimate? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dark-Star2018
Ordinery

Post by Dark-Star2018 »

What gives? Let's not lose another thing...
Energizer - you are invincible
ZZT @narchists unite! Turn off the dark, get free money, defeat death itself!
zamros

Post by zamros »

Dark-Star2018
Ordinery

Post by Dark-Star2018 »

"This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine."

... :drussrox:
zamros

Post by zamros »

zamros

Post by zamros »

Real talk, tho:

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Hello I haven't visited here in a bit. I was contacted by somebody well known to both this and the MZX communities discussing the site being used by uh, less scrupulous people with the intent of digging up old names and photos of trans MZXers and other embarrassing material about things people did as shitty teenagers.

We discussed things like removing the offending content or hiding the page, and in the end decided it would be best to just lock it away. As an informative resource, there was not a whole lot particularly useful. Few ZZT games had articles, and those that did didn't say much. It was a pretty poor way to learn about ZZT, its behavior, its games, or even positive community culture. It mostly focused on archiving IRC logs of all of us on #rawr telling Tyrannous to shut the fuck up or leaked cybersex logs or referring to the MZX community's prevelance of trans folks as "the MZX curse". Also a tonnnnn of photos and legal names which we generally all shared pretty freely in 2006, but are almost certainly a bit more protective of in 2019.

At first I started a list of every page and decided to track anything that would need to be changed to reopen it to the public, and well, here are some reasons certain articles needed edits:
Log to embarrass
We can’t even have a page about ammo in ZZT without making fun of [REDACTED].
This is a good example of ZZT culture overlapping with being shitty people
Never heard of this girl but this article definitely talks about nudes of a 13 year old
hostile
Category: “JEW”
“[REDACTED] moved on to become a f*ggot brony,”
It isn't deleted, and can be fully accessed with the proper credentials. I have a personal backup as well. A ZZT wiki is a good idea, but ZU needed to be razed.

(Commodore, if you see this, you are somebody I trust with those credentials. Get in touch if you want access)
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Appetite4
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Appetite4 »

Been wondering for some time how some of this content would stand the test of time. Given enough time, people grow up. Okay, sometimes they do.

Since its inception, the internet has also been growing up. With so many actors doing so many disparate things, with a zillion different agendas, it wasn't clear, even over three decades, how things would eventually "settle." Privacy and security are now fundamentally integrated into site policies and user accounts; it's not just a "maybe" anymore. Ideas about civil discourse, while not universal, are increasingly becoming standardized.

And make no mistake, the internet is not "grown up." It's "getting there." The ZZT community has been a wild west right from the beginning, since back in the BBS days. The age of the community makes a difference, not just in ZZT but everywhere. I look at the maturity level of fans of FnaF, Dark Souls, and other niche areas, and a lot of the toxicity seems to be maturity-related (not necessarily age-related).
Dark-Star2018
Ordinery

Post by Dark-Star2018 »

Dr. Dos wrote:It isn't deleted, and can be fully accessed with the proper credentials. I have a personal backup as well. A ZZT wiki is a good idea, but ZU needed to be razed.

(Commodore, if you see this, you are somebody I trust with those credentials. Get in touch if you want access)
What would the process be to build a proper wiki?