What is your meaning of life?

Michael Gaddass wants to keep up with you on Twitter

Moderator: zamros

bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by bustaballs »

Flimsy Parkins wrote:Stuff about soy foods.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

obviously, the meaning of life is to

1. look on the internet for articles about random crap and post them on z2
2. post links to images that don't work because worth1000 doesn't allow remote linking, you image leech
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

Zenith Nadir wrote:obviously, the meaning of life is to

1. look on the internet for articles about random crap and post them on z2
2. post links to images that don't work because worth1000 doesn't allow remote linking, you image leech
http://hyspace.progressiveboink.com/
fungahhh
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

I still want to see Jazzy's response, though. I doubt he'll ever reply though, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.
fungahhh
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

My personal favorite argument against evolution is the whole "law of entropy" thing or whatever it is

"Evolution can't be true! The law of entropy says that if it were, we'd actually be devolving or some shit because entropy increases with time, which is the opposite of evolution (order increasing with time)!"

Maybe it doesn't go exactly like that but that's pretty much how I've heard it

EDIT: Second Law of Thermodynamics, that's what I was looking for
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

Stak wrote:My personal favorite argument against evolution is the whole "law of entropy" thing or whatever it is

"Evolution can't be true! The law of entropy says that if it were, we'd actually be devolving or some shit because entropy increases with time, which is the opposite of evolution (order increasing with time)!"

Maybe it doesn't go exactly like that but that's pretty much how I've heard it

EDIT: Second Law of Thermodynamics, that's what I was looking for
homo
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

I'm back, so quite whining, please. What Fungahh and Stak have posted
is all quite true. Entropy is also one of my favorite arguments. Here is
another one, one based on logic proving that we need a Creator for life
to exist: For there to be an effect, there must be a cause; an effect cannot
cause itself. Therefore, in the chain of events, there must logically be an
Uncaused First Cause, to create the effect of the Universe and it's contents. This UFC must have certain qualities. It must be OUTSIDE of
Creation, completely detached and independant from it; the Creator CANNOT be the Creation, or part of it. It must also be omniscient, or all
knowing, to "program" all the laws of the Universe, for instance. It must
also be omnipresent, and outside of time (For the LORD, a thousand years are as a day, and a day as a thousand years. -The Bible). This being must also be all powerful, and able to sustain and intervene in the
Creation, much as you or I would fix a bug in a ZZT world by going into
it and editing it, or triggering a program to fix a predetermined error, if
you grasp my meaning. The only being that possesses all of these qualities is the God of the Bible, Yahweh, the triune one. How's that? If you
wish, I have several more where that came from, if you're truly interested. A good book I'd recommend on this is "The Creator and the Cosmos", although I forget who wrote it. A good beginning book would be
"Creation and Evolution 101".
JESUS CHRIST- You start the New Testament
with this Jesus. He is so superpowered and awesome, you feel converted. You place your hope in this Jesus.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

all you've done is prove that a god or gods have to exist, not that this 'uncaused first cause' is indeed the same god mentioned in the bible. difficulty: you can't quote the bible in your answer.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

uncaused first cause? What the fuck? That could be anything! The universe is far more vast than anything we can imagine, huge massive black holes twist time and power galaxies from within as the very fabric of space continues to expand. You're telling me there are galaxies colliding out there and some creator cares what a few amino acids bubbling on the surface of rock are doing?

There are a great deal of things out there that we do not understand, you can't just label or attribute all of them to a god and surrender to life.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

hurr durr I'm dumb and I post in religious debate threads. The meaning of life is to waste your life searching for the meaning.
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

Claim CF001:
The second law of thermodynamics says that everything tends toward disorder, making evolutionary development impossible.
Source:
Morris, Henry M., 1974. Scientific Creationism, Green Forest, AR: Master Books, pp. 38-46.
Response:

1. The second law of thermodynamics says no such thing. It says that heat will not spontaneously flow from a colder body to a warmer one or, equivalently, that total entropy (a measure of useful energy) in a closed system will not decrease. This does not prevent increasing order because

* the earth is not a closed system; sunlight (with low entropy) shines on it and heat (with higher entropy) radiates off. This flow of energy, and the change in entropy that accompanies it, can and will power local decreases in entropy on earth.
* entropy is not the same as disorder. Sometimes the two correspond, but sometimes order increases as entropy increases. (Aranda-Espinoza et al. 1999; Kestenbaum 1998) Entropy can even be used to produce order, such as in the sorting of molecules by size (Han and Craighead 2000).
* even in a closed system, pockets of lower entropy can form if they are offset by increased entropy elsewhere in the system.
In short, order from disorder happens on earth all the time.

2. The only processes necessary for evolution to occur are reproduction, heritable variation, and selection. All of these are seen to happen all the time, so, obviously, no physical laws are preventing them. In fact, connections between evolution and entropy have been studied in depth, and never to the detriment of evolution (Demetrius 2000).

Several scientists have proposed that evolution and the origin of life is driven by entropy (McShea 1998). Some see the information content of organisms subject to diversification according to the second law (Brooks and Wiley 1988), so organisms diversify to fill empty niches much as a gas expands to fill an empty container. Others propose that highly ordered complex systems emerge and evolve to dissipate energy (and increase overall entropy) more efficiently (Schneider and Kay 1994).

3. Creationists themselves admit that increasing order is possible. They introduce fictional exceptions to the law to account for it.

4. Creationists themselves make claims that directly contradict their claims about the second law of thermodynamics, such as hydrological sorting of fossils during the Flood.

Edit: Here are a couple other bits

* Formation of the universe from nothing need not violate conservation of energy. The gravitational potential energy of a gravitational field is a negative energy. When all the gravitational potential energy is added to all the other energy in the universe, it might sum to zero (Guth 1997, 9-12,271-276; Tryon 1973).

* Creationists cannot explain origins at all. Saying "God did it" is not an explanation, because it is not tied to any objective evidence. It does not rule out any possibility or even any impossibility. It does not address questions of "how" and "why," and it raises questions such as "which God?" and "how did God originate?"
fungahhh
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

jazzy's theme song is "still crazy after all these years" by paul simon

:patriot: :elephant: :patriot:
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Creationists refuse to accept evidence that evolution is true, evolutionists refuse to accept evidence that creationism is true, and most of the time, both parties are too stubborn to admit it.

So I guess what I'm saying is leave Jazzy alone. If religious debate is what you want, go to Athens or something.

Locked.
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

1. The debate's barely even left the ground and you're already shutting it down. At least give it a chance! Don't be such a DMZX.
2. Unlike creationists, I'm not just going to ignore any evidence that comes my way. (pwned) I'd love to see whatever anyone can dig up.
3. Athens is dead.
fungahhh
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

God created the universe but what created God? God is all powerful and all knowing, so God could in all likelyhood exist beyond the boundaries of time, able to interact with all time at will in the way that a three dimensional creature could probably be all "hahaha pwned" with a two dimensional creature that doesn't understand what depth is. I would laugh if it turned out that somebody created God and God was all "Oh wow, I'm all-powerful! I'm going to go back and cause the big-bang now. By the way, I'm not telling you what the correct religion is because your feeble guesses entertain me." A being who could move through time like we move through space would be immeasurably powerful compared to a human, like a scientist picking up a mouse and dropping it in a different part of the maze the scientist spent so very long building out of plywood oh god I hope the mouse is enjoying it.

And while I'm writing, why did God punish Eve by making childbirth painful for all women and not just Eve? And since God's all knowing God knows what we're going to do before we do it so how come God lets humans sin if it pisses God off so much anyway? Does God enjoy watching us try to do well, taking pride in our successes? Is God a sadist who creates imperfect beings for the joy of punishing them for their inevitable failures?

God has a second highly civilized intelligent species out there somewhere. He's fucking cheating on us, I just know it.

Omnipotence is a tricky thing to define. If God is able to create a boulder so large that God cannot lift it then God is not strong enough to lift the boulder and is thus not all-powerful. If God is able to lift any boulder no matter what, then God is unable to create a boulder that God cannot lift and is thus not all-powerful. More importantly, could God create a hat so magnificent that even God would feel silly wearing it in day-to-day activity?

Why do we attribute human feelings and behavior to a divine Being who we cannot possibly hope to understand? The bible is the word of God no doubt, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the word of God as channeled through prophets, who are imperfect humans as humans are inherent sinners because God would apparantely grow bored watching perfect people frolicking around in the meadows. Humans make mistakes, it's inevitable. I hope to all things holy that the mistakes made with the bible are minor typos and that there wasn't some priest in the 10th century who wrote his own chapter of Genesis and was never called on it because everybody else was too busy not dying of the plague to have the time to learn how to read.

There's a blotch on the doorknob to the bathroom in my parent's home. It looks like a face. Knowing that Jesus was watching me through the doorknob like that made it very awkward when I masturbated, so I'm glad I'm on my own in college now. Also, when one takes the people who still believe that the moon landing was fake and that this is evidence that the earth is actually flat, it is very clear that my mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said "Fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare but I thought "Nah, forget it, Yo homes, to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby, "Yo homes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Airhaliskdfghv;laskdvj;aodrsiugf;askldj