Sega Saturn question

Michael Gaddass wants to keep up with you on Twitter

Moderator: zamros

bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Sega Saturn question

Post by bustaballs »

*gasp* It's busta!

Yes, I'm posting here and I won't bore you with any life fillers as I'm sure none of you give a fuck. I'm here because decent classic gamers are rare and as much as I don't like a lot of you, you guys are true to the classics and can most likely answer this for me better than anyone else.

There's been a Sega Saturn sitting on the shelf of the local Game-X-Change here and I'm thinking about buying it. Since I don't remember all of these policys on these boards and am too lazy to look at them at the moment, I'll put it like this: I want to back-up my games and use imported games for the system. I've done a bit of research on it and it seems it does have copy-protection on it and there are mod chips out there for it. I really don't feel like cracking open a system that I'm useing for a collectors and classic gaming purpose. I also don't want to do it because I'm no electrical engineer and I don't want to fuck anything up (although I did get it right on my playstation).

I've found this program for it:

http://www.gameburnworld.com/cdprotecti ... ties.shtml

It's called BlindRead. It's a long list so just CTRL-F it or whatever the search shortcut is on your lameass, non-firefox browser. Does anyone know if this shit works?

If anyone can give me some info, I'd be grateful. I've heard rumors that Dreamcast could play backups without a mod chip and I assumed that its predecessor might be the same if that were true.

Until I figure it out, I'm going to check out an emulator.

PS:

It's nice to see ZZT is still running. Never let this community die.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I have a reputation for always liking everybody, so welcome back!

You might want to make an entry on ZU for yourself.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

As far as I know the best way is a mod chip. There is a swap method like the DC (load a boot disk, then load the game) but it's probably a pain. Check here (There seems to be something about what version of the saturn you can do it on):

http://www.emuasylum.com/index.php?page ... t&faqid=10

But it is a saturn and it is pretty cool, games are really cheap should you decide to obtain them legitamately. (RADIANT SILVERGUN)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

If you have a Saturn then NiGHTS is pretty much mandatory

Also I hear that the Saturn has arcade-perfect versions of X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel vs Street Fighter but they were only released in Japan
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

I've found out enough info on various sites. I'll try the disc-swap method if it's the original model. I'll crack open the case right in the store and tape down the little cd button. I do plan on grabbing the original titles whenever I can but some of those games you can't get for less than $100 (ie: Panzer Dragoon Saga) and the local store only has.. Tomb Raider.. and sports games.. so I'll stick with back-ups as I slowly build up my collection.
Stak wrote: If you have a Saturn then NiGHTS is pretty much mandatory
You read my mind. I plan on playing the following right away:

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by bustaballs on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

way to link to your own images, geniusq
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Mister Lad
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Mister Lad »

ban
Mister Lad!!!!
<i>Who weares short shorts?
MISTER LAD THATS WHO!</i>
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i like mister lad.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

yeah you should get a sega saturn! and then you can play like 4 really stupid gay games over and over again! faggot!!!!!

:drussrox:
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

Zenith Nadir wrote:way to link to your own images, geniusq
Geniusq, am I? You'll have to enlighten me on what that means with you infinite wisdom sometime. I'll fix the links in a second. I wasn't familiar with MobyGames policy.
shortcake savior wrote:yeah you should get a sega saturn! and then you can play like 4 really stupid gay games over and over again! faggot!!!!!

:drussrox:
No. Go kill yourself.

Edit:

Ah, now that I'm no longer sidetracked from idiots who can only seem to get any boost in their self-esteem by insulting people on the internet, I'll continue with what I originally intended to post.

I grabbed the Saturn. It's a model 2 and the disc swap method doesn't work for me so I took some pics of the board and sent them to someone who knows what they're doing and he told me it's 100% modable. My only trouble now is finding a place with some Saturn mod chips in stock. Can anyone help me out?
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

bustaballs wrote:idiots who can only seem to get any boost in their self-esteem by insulting people on the internet
sorry, that's pretty much everyone here (my self included you stupid piece of crap god in heaven i hate you and all of the individual atoms that make up your existance 8))
r
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

bustaballs wrote: Ah, now that I'm no longer sidetracked from idiots who can only seem to get any boost in their self-esteem by insulting people on the internet
Idiots they may be, but my friends they certainly are. Go pilfer your sega modding ways elsewhere.

Also good luck.

And... locked.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

nnnoooooo

i accidentally typed a q where none was needed...

i may die now
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast