Smash ZZT

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Appetite4
Official Clamp School Defender

GUIs and dialogue trees

Post by Appetite4 »

Smash ZZT will run only in ZZT Ultra (as a .WAD file). It will not require DosBox.

This screenshot is an example of the full-page GUIs that are shown when telling the story. You don't need to construct them out of actual ZZT boards anymore. I do think the GUI editor could stand to have a better interface design, but it's workable now.

The nice thing about swappable GUIs in ZZT Ultra is that you can have the board objects still running in real-time even if the viewport is moved off the visible part of the page. Without actually changing a board, you can swap in GUIs based on ZZT-OOP-controlled timing and programming. This can include full dialogue trees, which can be sourced and handled in the (invisible) board itself.
Attachments
Not-so-welcoming studio audience
Not-so-welcoming studio audience
Appetite4

More GUIs

Post by Appetite4 »

Took a break from gameplay design and focused on the GUIs and cut scenes; nearly all of them are done now.

This is going to be the title screen. As you can see, it's shamelessly self-aware of its cheap nature. As any decent ZZT game should be.
Attachments
Smash ZZT Title Screen
Smash ZZT Title Screen
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: Smash ZZT

Post by Commodore »

Ahaha that looks great. Taking the curse of production quality to heart eh?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Appetite4

Room by Room

Post by Appetite4 »

Since most rooms are near-carbon copies of other rooms, I've been steadily building and testing them at a decent rate. Still have over 30 to build, though--that takes time, no matter which way you look at it.

The game will have four skill levels: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Ultra. The YouTube video I posted before is indicative of how Ultra skill will play. I don't want to completely crush you on Normal!

The powerup spawn frequency needs a few tweaks, too--some levels get insanely easy if nuke powerups happen to drop too often. I believe an ASCII character needs to earn its pay.
Appetite4

Minibosses

Post by Appetite4 »

I recently added a new dynamic to the Smash ZZT room progression: minibosses that may or may not challenge you during the playthrough. If you find their "home" rooms, you'll fight right away. If not, they'll randomly challenge you in a room later in the play order.

The first hunter design is complete...and it's an intense fight, because spawn-in events continue to happen during the fight. Then again, minibosses inflict massive friendly-fire damage on their own allies while trying to kill you, so there is a strategy element.
Appetite4

ASCII Blaster

Post by Appetite4 »

About 2/3 through the level design now. Two hunters now finished, including one that chases you around with a flamethrower. Needless to say, in a one-hit kill game with a closed arena and limited lives, this boss battle is designed to be terrifying.

The Running Man is turning out to be quite influential to this game...
Attachments
Last year's...LOSERS.
Last year's...LOSERS.
smash_zzt_wip6.gif (76.77 KiB) Viewed 12229 times
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

WOW! I'm a little late in seeing this, but it looks promising. But believe me when I say old habits die hard when transitioning to a program with barely any limits. And also the GUI swapping...I hope that's easy to catch on to to do then for it to fly over my head then tempted to go the old school route.

The video looks killer! That's ultra? More like Gradius 4 arcade mode. Gaddayum! What's the stress test on this sucker?
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I'm guessing if there's a viable way to do bresanham's with half-blocks at any decent speed, 3d-vector graphics might be possible. Same with ray-casting ala wolf3d. Then you are straying far from ZZT and into MZX territory, but such is the battle between features and limitations, or future and past.

Also Jur the temptation to use features just because they are there is great but don't get hung up on them. You can tell me that ammo is arrows and gems are experience in-game and I will accept that! Ultra can't divest itself too far from its roots after all, otherwise you shouldn't call it zzt.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Appetite4

The full map

Post by Appetite4 »

Most of the map is now finished. That's nearly 40 rooms, all with their own spawn sequences and unique subtleties.

Several times during development, I've had to nerf the difficulty settings. Some rooms that are a cinch under normal circumstances become nearly unbeatable when a hunter challenges you. The hunter designs themselves are complete, and will generate both fear and respect when they appear.

The only room design of real importance that I have yet to work on: the final boss. Anyone who has played Smash T.V. shouldn't be too surprised at what is in store, although nothing will be a carbon copy.
q2k2k
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by q2k2k »

Can't wait to check it out once its fully complete.

I may record my attempts at Smash ZZT if anyone wants to see me fail :P
Appetite4

Final run

Post by Appetite4 »

Still designing the final boss room. Achievements now work; high scores now work.

I wanted to compose some more music for the game, too. You might have listened the main theme on the Hall of Music page already; that's only one of four that I'd like to have. Unfortunately, covers take time to compose.
Appetite4

Almost done

Post by Appetite4 »

Putting finishing touches on the game. The boss room is finished. For the most part, only the music is left.

Starting to wonder if the narrative might get me into some legal trouble. Probably not, but hey, I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Narriaive, as in voices? sound like one of the many good features if so!

EDIT: Midway and Acclaim mostly do not care, Because:

1: Acclaim has been dead since the late 1990s-early 2000s
2: Midway might have no need to release any more versions of (Super) Smash TV!
3: Fair Use applies, Your game is in the green area of the law, since it's comparable to Homebrew!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Fun fact, z2 once got a cease and desist for hosting "Mario" games. It was safely ignored.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Appetite4

Done!

Post by Appetite4 »

The wait is over! I give you: SMASH ZZT.

http://www.chriskallen.com/zzt/ZZTUltra ... ASHZZT.WAD

Unlike the laid-back nature of most ZZT games, this one is all about action. If you aren't prepared to handle it, this game will kick your ass.

Okay, it might do that even if you are ready for it.
Attachments
This has been a Mad Fish Production.
This has been a Mad Fish Production.