New ZZT game, COMPUTER

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Robot
newcomer

New ZZT game, COMPUTER

Post by Robot »

http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2010/03/computer.html

"hack" through a computer system and destroy the core. Inspired by REZ.

Enjoy.
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

I like the theme and the classic look. I've only played it for a minute or so, but I'll give it a go when I have the time.
My waste is my weapon.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

in the future avoid super long centipedes and have objects give you the ammo you need instead of making the player spend a bunch of time running around.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

permission to host this on z2? there's no stk, but it's pretty cool
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

The theme is pretty clever and it works well with minimal story and a limited palette. The level of abstraction is reminiscent of the original built-in games (good use of black 'open' space!).

COMPUTER's weak points are the distribution of resources and enemies: grouping enemies may work (the lion-trap in the pile of gems in the graveyard = good, it offers a temptation, a risk inside a reward), but in most cases arranging the enemies over the screen is better for gameplay.

For example, the 'firewall' screen offers loads of resistance but little challenge: you're forced to retreat into the ammo box, shooting the enemies that crowd the entrance - it's too easy and it takes a while, making it something of a chore.

The screen 'computer city' is an example of good design: the shape and content of the screen offer the player a challenge: there's hostility, shelter and incentive, forcing the player to choose a certain strategy: take greater risk and collect more resources or stay close to the wall, go for the main incentive (the key) and avoid the noid!"

Good job on your first game in ZZT!
My waste is my weapon.
Robot
newcomer

Post by Robot »

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad you guys seem to at least mildly enjoy the game. I'll take all this advice into consideration on my next ZZT projecct.

If you host this game, would we be able to update if I change it? I'd love for the game to be hosted, but Ill probably update it in a few months.

:rocket:

Right now, I'm planning an FF7 demake in Megazeux ;) Its for the 7day roguelike challenge over at temple of the roguelike, and I'm going to start it tomorrow, so that should be done in about a week. It's going to have basic megazeux gameplay, not rpg gameplay. Perhaps it will be similar to

yourworldoftext.com/ff7
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

if you plan up updating it, you could submit it later using the front page.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*