World of Goo

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

tapeworm
Help computer.

World of Goo

Post by tapeworm »

If you have a Nintendo Wii, you should get World of Goo. (It's a Wiiware game.) If you don't, you should get the PC version. (You can get that through Steam and in various other places.)

There's a demo available, in case you need convincing.

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

wasn't there a flash game like this where you built a tower?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i like how the games everyone gets excited about nowadays are basically physics simulators

not that i'm complaining, portal and mario galaxy were cool and this looks cool too (not sure if braid counts as a physics sim but it's definitely something)
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

from looking at it i don't know if I'd call it a physics sim, it seems pretty unrealistic. Galaxy neither. Portal OK, but it runs on an engine everyone already creamed about for its physics and that game is four years old now. And if braid is than every 2d platformer is no matter if they decide to rip off Prince of Persia Sands of Time or not.

You show me a game that doesn't try to simulate physics and I'll show you a puzzle or board game or zzt, which is sort of a board game. :)

Maybe things like that game where you crash a truck into a wall and try to hurt the ragdoll the most.

Also does anyone think braid's backgrounds look amateurish for a commercially published game?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

I DIDNT SAY IT WAS A BAD THING DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH COMMODORE I DO NOT APPRECIATE IT

i should be more specific, though, i meant games that mess around with physics in new and waaaaaacky ways that were unthinkable ten years ago, i think this game and the games i cited mostly fall into that category

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Zenith Nadir wrote:games that mess around with physics in new and waaaaaacky ways that were unthinkable ten years ago
I just realized that this isn't a recent trend. 30 years ago, they were doing the same thing with Pong, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, etc.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

god

fine

spoil my fun

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I'm not trying to discredit your observation -- I'm just pointing out that this is a long-term trend! In 10 years, we can release the next hit game!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

alright, fair do's

let's try to predict the next hit trend in videogame gameplay itt, i'll go first

uh

actually this is harder than i thought, fuck

maybe, a world war ii sim... with better graphics than ever before... nobody has ever done that

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Post by Scribbit »

4-dimensional full immersion time-travel puzzle games.

Lunar Lander and Pong were 2D games with physics in the speed and momentum. Portal and modern 3D games have physics about realistic gravity. 4D games will therefore be about tilting backwards and forwards through time to solve puzzles about historical events, the butterfly effect, and quantum uncertainty.
I'm nupanick.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I predict a two player game where the colours and locations of a particular sort of viscous jelly battle for supremacy with the game reading people's thoughts in order to manipulate the environment and the liquid itself.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

I predict some shitty ascii based adventure game with an editor more popular than the games that come with it. It'll have a terrible name so that it shows up at the bottom of the alphabeticalized software catalogs.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Schrödinger's Cat wrote:I predict some shitty ascii based adventure game with an editor more popular than the games that come with it. It'll have a terrible name so that it shows up at the bottom of the alphabeticalized software catalogs.
Yeah, and then when it doesn't catch on, some guys with too much time on their hands will try to port it to a newer console. And then the company that produces that console will go out of business and they'll have to port it to another console.

And they'll call it "ZYXXY" and it will be about adventuring in some huge cavern where you're blind and have only white-on-black text to tell you what's happening.
I'm nupanick.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

...WHY DID YOU QUOTE ME
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

...why did you type in all caps?
I'm nupanick.