The World Ends With You

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

Must play
any persona game (best console rpgs on the system)
r-type final (the last r-type game. contains more unlockable ships than you'd ever really need. still awesome.)
silent hill 3 (I like this one better than 2)

Highly recommended
devil may cry 3 (one is also acceptable. avoid two.)
zone of the enders 1 and 2 (fast, stylistic mech combat game highly influenced by macross, etc.)
marvel ultimate alliance
armored core series (mech combat game. less anime, more strategy. the customization options are rediculous.)
disgaea 1-2 (I'M SURE YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS)

Recommended with reservations
gauntlet dark legacy (best with multiplayer but still fun)
gradius 5 (a solid space shooter)
maximo: ghosts to glory (warning: teeth grindingly hard)
final fantasy 12 (in my opiniion this is the best of the series. a lot of people disagree.)
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

TEKKEN! Winning Eleven is also cool. (that's right, an american who likes soccer!) I don't know many video games.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

gradius 5 is awesome, published by Konami but developed by Treasure which of course made ikaruga. good luck finding a copy though.

I would recommend katamari damacy with some fine print. The game is really short and the novelty wears off so buy it cheap.

Megaten 4 Nocturne is awesome. excellent challenge and not as dependent on talking to the right people to advance the plot (like earlier ones) and (a big plus for me) not a lot of long cutscenes, instead over 80 hours of actual game.

Along those same lines Dragon Quest VIII makes me warm and fuzzy and though I prefer VII some people do not want to spend 160 hours on a game. 8 is great for it challenge, and overall faithfulness to the DQ style, which is one of the reasons I prefer the series to final fantasy.

I would argue against ff12 because it sucks a lot. Any of the ps star ocean games are better and are essentially the same thing except without the silly semi-turnbased mmo styled battles. But you can not listen to me about my opinions on FF because I stopped liking the series after number 5. Only recently have my thoughts changed on 6 since it's far more similar to the style than even 7, but still suffers from being too easy, linear, and obsessed with boss battle after boss battle. Also I'm sick of the whole technology/magic bullshit that seemed to permeate FF after that installment.

Wow I said to much about that.

Tekken is great, but I have no aptitude for tekken and prefer virtual fighter. Still there is no denying it is essential and I think it's 4 that has all the old tekken's included in it, so if you like fighters that is certainly worth it.

Also I like the looks of Front Mission 4 but have never played it. 3 is excellent for ps1 if you can find a copy.

And another ps1 game to play on your ps2, Xevious 3d/g is excellent, containing all the arcade xeviouss including an arcade two player simultaneous version, similar to the original xevious, never released in the US and a really hard new 3D Xevious on top of that.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

Zenith Nadir wrote:i'm okay with the random battles in tales of phantasia since i did actually enjoy the fight interface, and you can turn the battles off if you want to (well, in the snes version anyway, i don't know about the gba version since it looked horrible)
a translation patch for the psx version was released a while ago. the manual ring makes the game a lot more fun but you don't find it until halfway through the game, which blows.
Seventh Shade wrote:armored core series (mech combat game. less anime, more strategy. the customization options are rediculous.)
honestly the only real armored core game I'd recommend is the original psx one. none of the expansions or sequels add anything worth playing them for unless you're already huge fan of the series. anyway, here's some shit:

GOD HAND
Hard as fuck + it rules. Anyone who doesn't agree is a gay or a baby, possibly both.

Gitaroo Man
Still the best goddamn rhythm game ever made. The US version was incredibly rare until it was reprinted a while ago, I have no clue how difficult the PAL version is to find.

Parappa the Rapper 2
Some people do not like this game as much as the original because "buhh, noodles." Some people are retarded. Studies indicate a correlation.

Steambot Chronicles
A sandbox game set in a Miyazaki-inspired steampunk setting, with a wide variety of shit to do, such as busking, digging for fossils, acting as a taxi, or fighting in the giant robot arena. You can be a complete asshole to everyone and even join the villians. Warning: I think you're forced to play at least some songs during the main plot, and all of them are AWFUL.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Pretty much justifies the existence of the rest of the Metal Gear series. It's a prequel, so while playing the first two will allow you to catch references and in-jokes, it isn't really necessary. Make sure you get Subsistence and not the original edition, it has an improved 3rd person view and a bunch of bonus shit.

Way of the Samurai
A sandbox game that takes place over three days, you can join one of three clans or just go around slaughtering everyone if you feel like it. Your attacks are based on the sword you're using, and almost every character has a unique one you can kill them for. Part of a whole series of games, including Way of the Samurai 2, Samurai Western, and Shinobido: Way of the Ninja, which was released in Europe but not America.

Michigan: Report from Hell
A horror game by Suda51, the director of Killer7. It was only released in Japan and Europe so I have no clue how good it actually is, but it's probably worth playing.

Dynasty Warriors
This series is similar to Armored Core in that there are a SHITLOAD of them and there's no real reason to play them all unless you really like hitting the square button. Most people seem to prefer 3 and 5. There are also a bunch of spinoffs (Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam)

Adventures of Cookie & Cream
A puzzle/platformer game where you have to control two characters simultaneously, either by yourself or with a second player.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
The only genuinely great Breath of Fire game, people tend to either love or hate it. Unlike the rest of the series, which are competent but unspectacular jRPGs, Dragon Quarter is a gloomy dungeon crawler with a heavily tactical battle system. Your dragon transformation can destroy enemies easily, but using it raises the D-Counter, and if that hits 100% it's game over. If you fuck yourself over by relying on it too much, you can restart the game, keeping the bulk of your equipment, special attacks, and experience. Starting over also gives you extra story sequences that explain the plot in more depth.

Dark Cloud/Dark Cloud 2
A dungeon crawler where you trawl through randomized floors looking for captured villagers and town parts, which you then re-assemble to your liking (or to the townspeoples' requests.) The sequel is better in pretty much every way, but the original has Osmond as a playable character and Steve the Talking Slingshot, so in my opinion it's a draw.

Dragon Quest 8
Pretty good, but still nowhere near as great as 5. Also, Bangerz and Mash.
Bangerz and Mash
BANGERZ AND MASH
BANGERZ AND MASH

Timesplitters 2
Probably the best first person shooter on the PS2. The story mode is nicely varied, and there are a ton of challenges, multiplayer modes (splitscreen or with bots), playable characters, and even a simple map maker. I never played the original or Future Perfect but those are probably great, too. The company that made them (Free Radical) recently closed because apparantly everybody hated Haze.

Katamari Damacy/We Love Katamari
The series wore out its welcome after the first two, but the first two still rule.

Graffiti Kingdom
A 3D platformer where you can draw your own character, or take an enemy and add on to it. The actual gameplay itself is merely competent, but being able to make whatever wacky shit you want makes it a lot more enjoyable than it should be.

Robot Alchemic Drive
I don't think this came out in Europe, but if you can manage a way to play it, do so. The voice acting is (intentionally) hilariously bad, and the controls are tricky but satisfying as hell. Uppercutting a giant green robot into the air, then punching it through several city blocks as it comes back down NEVER gets old.

Psychonauts (If you don't have it for PC or another console)

Alien Hominid (If you don't have it for PC or another console)

Games that people tell me are good but I haven't played myself:

The Shadow Hearts series
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time/The Two Thrones
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (also available for Gamecube)
The Ratchet and Clank series
Yakuza/Yakuza 2
The Burnout series
The Red Star
Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico
Naval Ops: Warship Gunner/Warship Gunner 2
Sky Gunner
PSI Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Mercenaries

Games that got decent reviews but you should probably avoid:

Odin Sphere
The 2D graphics are gorgeous, but the gameplay is shallow, repetitive, and unsatisfying, plus there's a ton of slowdown. Vanillaware is currently working on a Wii game, hopefully it turns out a lot better.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Everything about this game is terrible except the battles - all of the characters are awful (excluding one that was added in the director's cut, but he only gets a handful of lines and has no bearing on the plot), the item creation is uninteresting, and has the most offensively bad plot of any game I've ever played.

Rogue Galaxy
A Star Ocean knockoff that does some things better, (slightly more bearable characters and plot, great graphics) and some worse. Too much emphasis was placed on eliminating load times, which resulted in uninteresting fights and repetitive dungeons.

Xenosaga
i have never played any of the xenosaga games but i am telling you to avoid them anyway as pretty much everyone i've talked to that isn't retarded hates them. i hope you appreciate this.
r
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

Commodore Star Ocean 2 is nothing like FF12 and you're crazy for saying it is! In fact I'm hard pressed to find any real similarities at all.

I never beat it, but I enjoyed FF12, and I don't really get why so many people hate it. Bad characters, I guess, but I never even noticed that until mira pointed it out. I don't play RPGs for their gripping stories and realistic characters (because that basically never exists anyway), but rather for the gameplay, which was fun, and a thousand times better than random encounters.
fungahhh
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

was intending to but forgot to state that the original katamari damacy wasn't released in europe, but the second one was; i'll nab that sometime.

gradius 5 isn't too hard to get here but i'm looking at a moderately high price for it. i really don't mind spending a little more for quality so w/e

normally i hate final fantasy but apparently they made the random battles not random and not completely terrible in xii. the costumes are still gay as hell, though, which is one of the things that really puts me off (will probably check it out anyway, it ain't expensive)

fuck i forgot about alien hominid. on that note, will also pick up the metal slug anthology

god hand. yes. i was sold on god hand as soon as i saw this trailer

metal gear solid 3 is prohibitively expensive here and i don't think i really care much about mgs anyway (90 minute cut scene, xd). i am sorry about this. also, apparently there are two mgs3 games? (subsistence and snake eater) or am i missing something here?

was also considering getting vib ribbon and parappa the rapper, since ps2 can run ps1 games and all...
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

my comparison for FF12 and star ocean is very basic: silly manga characters and a ridiculous story, star ocean just has a more interesting fighting system in my opinion. But of course you made it clear characters and story is not what your after fungahh.

And SO2(ps1) is like 8 years older than FF12 at this point, I was mostly judging my comparison on Till the end of time(ps2) which graphically are similar (in spite of a stronger sci-fi slant in SO and the whole Mediterranean feeling in ff12)

"series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi .... declined to play Final Fantasy XII beyond the introduction."

I would heartily recommend the "Arc the Lad Collection" which is for ps1 it comes with four games never released in english up until that point. A quick ebay search puts it at about 50 quid.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Farm
my power level is enormous

Post by Farm »

Fungahhh wrote: I never beat it, but I enjoyed FF12, and I don't really get why so many people hate it. Bad characters, I guess, but I never even noticed that until mira pointed it out. I don't play RPGs for their gripping stories and realistic characters (because that basically never exists anyway), but rather for the gameplay, which was fun, and a thousand times better than random encounters.
wat

FF12 had like, the only original characters in like a decade of Final Fantasies. You had your stupid GIRLY MAIN CHARACTER AND LOVE INTEREST and then everyone else was pretty original! Vaan and Penelo were pretty fucking bad, but at least they were really the main characters at all; Basch and Ashe were hella cool and a welcome change to the FINAL FANTASY FORMULA.

(Basically what I am saying is that FF10 can go fuck itself)
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I've played vagrant story and isn't it supposed to be the same world or something?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

The same world is supposedly used in Vagrant Story, the Tactics games, and FFXII. It seems to be the same world in name alone, though.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

there really is no point looking for any kind of continuity between square-enix rpgs, is there (except x and x-2, but honestly, who gives a fuck about ffx)

also i have heard good things from reliable sources about a ps2 game called "global defence force" which is not well known and has a very similarly named xbox sequel, i'll report back after i buy it

you basically fight giant movie monsters the entire game. here's the best word i could find; http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9312
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

yeah, the global defense force games are supposed to be great, but i forgot to mention it because the ps2 version wasn't released in america.
r
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

I have the sequel for the 360, it's pretty great. You shoot giant ants until you can't anymore.
fungahhh
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I can't believe I haven't recommended Second Sight. It's pretty awesome even if the controls are a bit convoluted.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

How do you control that Gitaroo man game? Also I recommend Timesplitters 2, Resident Evil 4, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4, Tales of the Abyss, Neo Contra. Timesplitters 2 is one of the best console fps games ever, Abyss was fun but I never beat it, semi-playing Tales of Vesperia at the moment. Never played more than 10 minutes of RE4 but I own it so I added it anyway.